Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I feel the main problem with figuring out or understanding why the Gates work or don't work on her is that, if memory serves me right, they never bothered or intended to explain how they work in first place. Just like everything about Krakoa Hickman snapped them into existince and have them work perfectly seemingly so the mutants can do what he wants them to do for the story at the start (without need to rely on previous buildup).

All we can discern is that they create dimensional "shortcuts" without travel time between places and function via techno-organic material Krakoa developed from Warlock's body.

The simplest reason for Kitty not being able to use the gates could therefor have simply been that a hidden safety mechanism locked her out because her powers, which are known to harm technology, could potential disrupt them (compare the safety mechanisms of the gates in The Expanse). Hence being automatically on the same list as "uninvited" people. In turn Orchis could have simply reversed that safety mechanism, accidently giving Kitty the "okay" label in turn.
    Im not sure that even makes sense bc kittty only disrupts technology when she is using her powers. By default, she isnt messing up computers and the like by touching them in solid form. That only happens when phasing through them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im not sure that even makes sense bc kittty only disrupts technology when she is using her powers. By default, she isnt messing up computers and the like by touching them in solid form. That only happens when phasing through them.
    Hence the comparison to the sphere from The Expanse, where ships can travel through the gateways if they are below a certain speed limit (later it also turns out that if too much mass passes through the gates at once it will summon things from the "in between" that consume anything that goes through).

Only in this case the gates might have locked her out because something catastrophic could happen if she uses her powers while passing through the gateways. Because the safeties are off for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Hence the comparison to the sphere from The Expanse, where ships can travel through the gateways if they are below a certain speed limit (later it also turns out that if too much mass passes through the gates at once it will summon things from the "in between" that consume anything that goes through).

Only in this case the gates might have locked her out because something catastrophic could happen if she uses her powers while passing through the gateways. Because the safeties are off for her.
    I have no idea what the Expanse is so that reference went over my head

BANNED

So you are making an assumption about her? Got it. And the gates dont only work on mutants. Baseline humans can go through the gates. Kitty wasnt able to go through them at all.
    But humans have 2 wear bands w/ mutants dna in order 4 the gate 2 recognize them as mutant & let them pass.

Something abt Kitty made her undetected as true mutant, now we know why, she is a proto-mutant, a mutant sub species
    Last edited by emfrst; 08-30-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    But humans have 2 wear bands w/ mutants dna in order 4 the gate 2 recognize them as mutant & let them pass.

Something abt Kitty made her undetected as true mutant, now we know why, she is a proto-mutant, a mutant sub species
    Humans do not have to wear mutant DNA, although the way different writers went about it was obviously confusing. Hickman stated clearly that mutants were allowed to use them and humans could use them if being accompanied by a mutant but that they had to ask permission from Krakoa. Of course there many other moving parts in this whole process from a traffic control room to downloading the Krakoan language into mutant minds on arrival that make a lot of later depictions seem to just act like there were no rules to these magic gates.

Anyway, nothing else has had a problem going through the gates including Orchis and now Kitty can use them, so she can use the gates and the question is what was stopping her. Likely Duggan gave up on the story and is just using it like this now and probably still won't explain it.

Astonishing Member

I have no idea what the Expanse is so that reference went over my head
    My bad.

The Expanse is a series of science fiction novels written by James S. A. Corey, which between 2016 and 2022 was adapated into a tv show for the SYFY channel with critical and comercial success.

They feature a relative "hard sci-fi" setting, meaning laws of physics are more overt taken into account compared to "soft sci-fi" settings like Star Trek or "space fantasy" like Star Wars.

The novels and show start at a point where humanity managed to expand into space, establishing longterm colonies on Mars, the moons of gas giants and within asteroids, thanks to the usage of highly efficient fusion engines, which cut travel times in the solar system down to weeks rather than years. However there are no faster than light (hyper space/warp) travel methods, no energy shields, no energy weapons, no teleportation, etc. So life in space remains rough.

Which is also where the major initial conflicts of the setting starts. Earth and Mars are in a cold war, while disillusioned and downtrodden mining workers in the distant asteroid belts have formed various radical groups from pirates to independence movements.

Spoiler Warning:

Major events within the series concern a mysterious extra-solar substance called the "protomolecule", which is not only capable of "converting" matter (including living beings) into what ever it needs, but also manipulate gravity.

Eventualy the protomolecule creates a giant ring structure which opens a gateway to a strange spheric "space" where many more such portals to other solar systems exist.

These portals work very similar to the Krakoa gates. If a ship enters one they instantly arrive in the sphere space and once they travel to another gate within they can instantly arrive where the other gate is located. Hence drawing comparisons between them.

However the protomolecule has a sort of mind of it's own and since humanity doesn't fully underdstand it, they have to learn the harsh way that it has unkown rules.

When the portal is first opened, a careless racer tries to fly through it, only for a safety mechanism to kick in and rapidly de-accelerate the ship, messily killing the pilot. Only by manualy de-accelerating a ship below a certain speed before entering will the portal let them through harmlessly.

Again drawing comparisons to how Kitty can't enter the gate, since like the protomonecule the material used to make the krakoan gateways might have their own rules that the mutants don't fully understand, since a common trend in the current status quo is that the mutants carelessly rely on technologies and powers they might either not fully understand or only belief to be in control of.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Was this "proto-mutant" thing revealed in an issue I missed cuz I'm still waiting on the sauce?
    "Cable was right!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Jeen refers to Kitty as their "proto mutant" when she decided to start saving mutants before their powers kicked in...and which I took to mean their first kidnap victim and not the proto mutant Storm and her X-Men discovered back in Wood's run some years ago.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Where was that ever reveal? This is news to me bc to my knowledge all a human needed to be was accompanied by another mutant. Ive never heard anything about some mutant DNA band

Regardless I think you are making a leap bc no where in this issue did it say that this had anything to do with why kitty couldnt use the gates

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Jeen refers to Kitty as their "proto mutant" when she decided to start saving mutants before their powers kicked in...and which I took to mean their first kidnap victim and not the proto mutant Storm and her X-Men discovered back in Wood's run some years ago.
    Yeah. I noticed the OP said Jean Grey #1 but it's obvious that the events in that story aren't real. Also "proto" as a prefix can mean early or earlier so Hank can be using it to refer to mutants who haven't awaken yet since they end kidnapping X-Men who they know from the future.

jg.jpg
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Where was that ever reveal? This is news to me bc to my knowledge all a human needed to be was accompanied by another mutant. Ive never heard anything about some mutant DNA band

Regardless I think you are making a leap bc no where in this issue did it say that this had anything to do with why kitty couldnt use the gates
    moira got in2 Krakoa while wearing banshee skin suit in X, during her cyborg life stage

Deviants can pass through the gates
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Deviants can pass through the gates
    E27A3B15-5814-4446-89D7-758B86CA1831.jpg
    Deviants, you say?

Extraordinary Member

moira got in2 Krakoa while wearing banshee skin suit in X, during her cyborg life stage
    That was a way to bypass the normal method as we have explained. Moira was not accompanied by a mutant and given permission (i.e., she was sneaking in) so she 'tricked' Krakoa or whoever/whatever into thinking a mutant was using the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    In New Mutants #7, Sam Guthrie says it will be nice to use the gate in his house to visit his family on Earth.

Dani is also shown in both the mini series (suggesting she is a "proto mutant" too) and crossing the gates.

Whatever proto-mutant means in the context of the mini series, it's not the reason why Kitty can't use the gates, or Sam and Dani wouldn't be able to use them either.
    Wait, the demon/angel mutants count as proto-mutants?