Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gi Joe

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Enjoyed Duke more than I thought I would. I’m going in blind to pretty much everything GI Joe and Transformers related - I’m intrigued at how much is new and how many Easter eggs/callbacks there are?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Enjoyed Duke more than I thought I would. I’m going in blind to pretty much everything GI Joe and Transformers related - I’m intrigued at how much is new and how many Easter eggs/callbacks there are?
    The MASS device is from the cartoon and the blueprint is based on a build a figure, there is a book with the name Mindbender on it, Zartan is a master of disguise and the face ripping thing sounds like him, MARS is building a bunch of Cobra vehicles like HISS tanks and SNAKEs, Cobra-La could be the organization in the ice, Duke's brother Falcon is mentioned, Burkhart is from the Marvel comics, the McCullen clan is part of Destro's backstory, and Cover Girl is helping Hawk. I'm sure there are more I missed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    The MASS device is from the cartoon and the blueprint is based on a build a figure, there is a book with the name Mindbender on it, Zartan is a master of disguise and the face ripping thing sounds like him, MARS is building a bunch of Cobra vehicles like HISS tanks and SNAKEs, Cobra-La could be the organization in the ice, Duke's brother Falcon is mentioned, Burkhart is from the Marvel comics, the McCullen clan is part of Destro's backstory, and Cover Girl is helping Hawk. I'm sure there are more I missed.
    The "fake" S.W.A.T. are essentially Iron Grenadier uniforms, and well, Mercer being involved at all isn't a little lore nugget, it's a full cast of characters thing, but it is the first time anyone has ever done anything notable with him other than a brief flirtation by Brandon Jerwa in the latter half of Devil's Due's ARAH run, a one-shot appearance and a couple cameos in "all hands on deck" panels. I'd have to re-read DUKE # 1 to see if there's more in Issue # 1. It was fun and I liked the art.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Wasn’t expecting that cameo
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member

Duke had a pretty good first issue. I am sold.

wow. They give him the "ssss" speaking voice, lol. Hmm.. I wonder how much remains of the original comics version and how much of the cartoon version this involves?

I'm wondering when or if certain characters will be involved, and if they are, if they'll be updated. So many dozens (hundreds?) of Joe team members in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    wow. They give him the "ssss" speaking voice, lol. Hmm.. I wonder how much remains of the original comics version and how much of the cartoon version this involves?

I'm wondering when or if certain characters will be involved, and if they are, if they'll be updated. So many dozens (hundreds?) of Joe team members in particular.
    Not only members of G.I.Joe, but also members of Cobra

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Astonishing Member

I hope they won't introduce them all at once. I would feel lost. A slow introduction like in Duke is better for reader that arent so much involved in the franchise.

One of the reasons I can't read legion of Superheroes. I tried the Brian Michael Bendis run, but was completely lost on the characters and gave up.

Cobra Commander #1 was incredible. I absolutely love this reinvention while paying respect to classic elements.

Skybound has just knocked it out of the park with every Hasbro book so far.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

want to make sure i got things straight, Duke and Cobra Commander are part of the Energon Universe but G.I Joe is not??

Extraordinary Member

Yes, that is correct.

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero is set it's own self-contained universe it's written by Larry Hama who is to G.I. Joe comics like Chris Claremont is to the X-Men (for better and for worse).

The Transformers, Duke, Cobra Commander, and Void Rivals are set in a shared universe dubbed "The Energon Universe" and I say another G.I. Joe comic is coming down the line is a safe bet, it'll either have no subtitle or a different one.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 01-31-2024 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Yes, that is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero is set it's own self-contained universe it's written by Larry Hama who is to G.I. Joe comics like Chris Claremont is to the X-Men (for better and for worse).

The Transformers, Duke, Cobra Commander, and Void Rivals are set in a shared universe dubbed "The Energon Universe" and I say another G.I. Joe comic is coming down the line is a safe bet, it'll either have no subtitle or a different one.
    thanks for the info. i pre-ordered GI Joe just because i'm a fan of Chris Mooneyham and no regrets it's been a fun read. i've not been interested in Joe or Transformers comics since the 80's but feel like i slept on this Energon relaunch. Transformers i considered ordering just a a DWJ fan but for some reason i thought he was only writing and not drawing, Duke was probably my least favorite of the core Joes but even that looks pretty damn good. oh well at least i did pre-order Cobra Commander.