Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gi Joe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Man I really didnt want to be a hater but...

Image's entire Joe line is DOA for me.
    First off, Hama's #301 was probably as bad as you could possibly make a relaunch comic. Pedestrian dialogue - no draw or hook to the story. Serpentor turns himself and all of Cobra Island into flesh eating zombies? uhh yeah - that happened. Sorry Hama, time to hang it up. The cover and interior art was nice though.

The original Image Joe stuff being set in the Transformers universe is not something I ever wanted, even back in the 80s/90s.

Costa's Cobra from IDW is the hard-line espionage direction the franchise should have turned for the modern era.

At least we finally got the uncensored Gi Joe #1 reprint after all these years.
    Hopefully the Marvel line will get its Deluxe hardcovers continued - they simply stopped printing them over at IDW around volume Nine, all those years ago...
    Transformers and G.I. Joe are attached to the hip now unfortunately. Hasbro has screwed up G.I. Joe so badly that they're using Transformers as a life support just to keep it going. G.I. Joe is on its death bed. They've been doing reboot after reboot after reboot and nothing has been working. I don't think Hasbro knows what to do with the brand. We finally have someone that seems to actually care about G.I. Joe and is trying to revive it. We also have Hama just continuing his run.
    Last edited by wyokid; 12-13-2023 at 07:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Transformers and G.I. Joe are attached to the hip now unfortunately. Hasbro has screwed up G.I. Joe so badly that they're using Transformers as a life support just to keep it going. G.I. Joe is on its death bed. They've been doing reboot after reboot after reboot and nothing has been working. I don't think Hasbro knows what to do with the brand. We finally have someone that seems to actually care about G.I. Joe and is trying to revive it. We also have Hama just continuing his run.
    I think its the best thing that happened to the Joe's. Larry Hama...I don't know, but the reboot is in good hands.

Yeah that all sounds about right. Its all true.

As a longtime fan, I really dont even need more new stories out of the Joe franchise at this point - the story ended with Marvel's issue #155 in my eyes.
    Im just hopeful with the new publisher - they finally reprint the original FULL Marvel run (ARAH and Special Missions) in hardcovers.
    Thats all I want out of this whole thing.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

I liked Duke's cameo in TF...

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Catch-22 on the Joe/TF shared universe.
    It unlocks all kinds of potential crossovers and the likes...
    However, when Hasbro/Skybound parts ways however many years down the line and go to a different property, it's going to be a BITCH to get these stories reprinted properly.
    Bad enough to put up with the shitty quality of IDW Transformers reprints, but the aftermarket prices on those are goddamn ridiculous.

Speaking of which...not a peep out of Hasbro or Skybound on the "oh we're reprinting the original series" topic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Catch-22 on the Joe/TF shared universe.
    It unlocks all kinds of potential crossovers and the likes...
    However, when Hasbro/Skybound parts ways however many years down the line and go to a different property, it's going to be a BITCH to get these stories reprinted properly.
    Bad enough to put up with the shitty quality of IDW Transformers reprints, but the aftermarket prices on those are goddamn ridiculous.

Speaking of which...not a peep out of Hasbro or Skybound on the "oh we're reprinting the original series" topic.
    They said they'll be reprinting multiple times. Read the letters pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I liked Duke's cameo in TF...
    Same here. Looking forward to seeing who else will make a cameo (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-14-2023 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Part of it is IMHO G.I. Joe doesn't need to be a comic, TV show, or a movie series, it needs to be a video game franchise. The Joes are a perfect video game series you could do almost any genre with them from shooter, RPG, RTS, fighting, stealth, and this is my short list, and yet all they got coming out is a 90s retro style arcade brawler which is fine but they are leaving money on the table with a AAA G.I. Joe game.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Costa's Cobra from IDW is the hard-line espionage direction the franchise should have turned for the modern era.
    I always thought Devil's Due G.I. Joe: Reloaded was good once it got out first gear.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Part of it is IMHO G.I. Joe doesn't need to be a comic, TV show, or a movie series, it needs to be a video game franchise. The Joes are a perfect video game series you could do almost any genre with them from shooter, RPG, RTS, fighting, stealth, and this is my short list, and yet all they got coming out is a 90s retro style arcade brawler which is fine but they are leaving money on the table with a AAA G.I. Joe game.
    Operation Blackout was an absolute nightmare.

I always liked Duke...

I wonder how soon this will build up to a legit G.I. Joe book?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I always liked Duke...

I wonder how soon this will build up to a legit G.I. Joe book?
    They said there will at least be four miniseries coming.

The Duke comic was pretty good. He has that sort of "Jack Bauer" rogue agent thing going on like he had in the later Devil's Due comic books.

spoilers:
    Dr. Burkhart from the original Marvel G.I.Joe issue one is a character in this. The MASS Device (from the original cartoon miniseries) also appears as an Easter Egg. We also get to see Mercer in his villain period and a Destro cameo towards the end of the issue. The book ends on a cliffhanger as Hawk and Agent Krieger (aka Cover Girl) send Stalker and Rock and Roll to bring Duke in.
    end of spoilers
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member

Duke #2 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Tom Reilly