View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Green Lantern of space sector 2814?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

62 44.60%
  • John Stewart

27 19.42%
  • Guy Gardner

16 11.51%
  • Kyle Rayner

30 21.58%
  • Simon Baz

4 2.88%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    I agree with that. The problem is that people tend to write Hal and Guy as one-note characters, and Kyle as a special snowflake. And nobody knows what to do with John. And don't get me started on Alan.
    Yeah, I think it is more of an issue with writers than the characters.

It reminds me of a comment John Byrne made about GL. "Small sales didn't kill Hal Jordan, Small Minds did." -- John Byrne.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    I agree with that. The problem is that people tend to write Hal and Guy as one-note characters, and Kyle as a special snowflake. And nobody knows what to do with John. And don't get me started on Alan.
    I understand your point about one-note characters, but I don't know what "special snowflake" is supposed to mean. If it's a common metaphor, I haven't bumped into it before. I could make some wild guesses, but I'd be grateful if someone just explained it to me in plain English

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I understand your point about one-note characters, but I don't know what "special snowflake" is supposed to mean. If it's a common metaphor, I haven't bumped into it before. I could make some wild guesses, but I'd be grateful if someone just explained it to me in plain English
    Basically, he's the "CHOSEN ONE".
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Basically, he's the "CHOSEN ONE".
    I bought "Emerald Twilight" when it was first coming out, about 20 years ago now. The way I remember it, Ron Marz went to great lengths to present Kyle as "the Randomly Selected Drunk One who had no special qualifications for the job, but was expected to start doing it anyway!"

I bought "Emerald Twilight" when it was first coming out, about 20 years ago now. The way I remember it, Ron Marz went to great lengths to present Kyle as "the Randomly Selected Drunk One who had no special qualifications for the job, but was expected to start doing it anyway!"
    The thing is that later writers retconned the randomness of that event by saying that Ganthet knew that Kyle was "special" and could wield all the colors of the emotional spectrum. As such, while Marz may have intended for Kyle to be the complete opposite of what a GL was supposed to be, he eventually was revealed to be destined for something greater.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    The thing is that later writers retconned the randomness of that event by saying that Ganthet knew that Kyle was "special" and could wield all the colors of the emotional spectrum. As such, while Marz may have intended for Kyle to be the complete opposite of what a GL was supposed to be, he eventually was revealed to be destined for something greater.
    I had heard about that. I knew it was eventually denied that Ganthet had ever said (or sincerely meant if he did say) "I suppose you shall have to do" when he literally just stumbled across Kyle in a dark alley without doing any kind of screening process to find "worthy" candidates. I was just trying to remind everybody that in the early days Kyle had not been "Chosen" or "Predestined" to do anything remarkable; he was truly just "luck of the draw" -- with Marz making it crystal-clear that the same ring could just as easily have landed on the finger of any other schmuck!
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 05-12-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: uali

The best GL of ANY sector:

Gnort.jpg

Amazing Member

It might whiz some people off, but I'm going to say flat out that DC doesn't know what to do with any of those Lanterns. That's why, you know, they retconned Jade out of existence and created two new Earth Lanterns. Not to mention seven additional Corps. They thought that might help.

Seriously, WTF?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about our favorite GLs of Sector 2814? Not just "our favorite GLs from anywhere at all"? As far as I know, most of the people whom you just named have never been assigned to patrol Sector 2814 as their "beats."
    It was late. That's all I can say about that.

Just limit it to John and Guy then. Should have done more with Charlie Vickers though. I liked that one story from GLCQ despite it having a little bit of a colonial context to it.