Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    The sooner this mishegas of an embarassing run is over and forgotten, the better.

Talk about missing completely the point of Kraven's Last Hunt. Like, flew over head like a satellite over the Earth. Like, 0 points on the SAT for reading comprehension.
    We've known Zeb Wells didn't understand the point of Kraven's Last Hunt since he wrote Uncle Ben gave Peter the strength to escape from the grave in Avenging Spider-Man 11.

BANNED

I'm gonna have a good laugh if it turns out Evil Spider-man is more likable/relatable than he's been this entire run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    The sooner this mishegas of an embarassing run is over and forgotten, the better.

Talk about missing completely the point of Kraven's Last Hunt. Like, flew over head like a satellite over the Earth. Like, 0 points on the SAT for reading comprehension.
    Do Wells and Lowe hate every character that JMD worked on? Ben, Kafka, Janine...now Vermin. I know is not that but almost looks like an agenda
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 09-03-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Do Wells and Lowe hate every character that JMD worked on Ben, Kafka, Janine...now Vermin. I know is not that but almost looks like an agenda
    I had an epiphany a couple of issues ago where the short version was that Shed was really everything we needed to know about Zeb Wells and I think over time that has just proven more true. To be clear, I mean that as a writer, not as a person, sometimes people just have drastically different writing styles and interests than they do as people, and this is neither the time nor place to judge a man. But a writer, well, that's exactly in our wheelhouse.

What I mean by Shed is everything we needed to know is just that Shed is a story that's about the writer making choices. There is no light in Shed. It's the darkest possible outcome of the Lizard story. It's not out of character or "bad", per se, because the Lizard has attempted to do terrible things several times before, he's always just been held off by Spider-Man or just barely by Connors himself. Shed is the story where he loses that battle, and the darkness wins. The only thing the story is missing is Curt's suicide at the end, which is the only realistic outcome to that situation, for the darkness to be complete. It's not a story that's wrong, but it's a choice. It's a choice to indulge in that bleakness and dark world view. The bad guys will win. Love is transactional and temporary. You can never truly conquer your demons. There are whole series where this is the outlook, and some people enjoy them, and that's their right, for sure. But personally I find it completely unenjoyable. But sometimes the darkness has to win. Not every story has a happy ending, and it's valid that this is how the Lizard's story would end. There's a story that people don't refernce much from like the 80s I think where this kid is being chased throughout the city because he has dangerous powers. Spider-Man fights off his attackers and defends the kid, but eventually he fails. The kid is killed and no one cares, because it's a justifiable kill. And yet Peter is just left devastated by the whole affair. Even if justified it still feels wrong and tragic to him, because he has this outlook that he can fix everything and everything can work out. It's not a bad story though. It's just the devil taking his due. So sometimes those stories are ok. But you would hope that a writer has more tricks than just the one, and it's become quite apparent that Wells just doesn't. This run is just the darkness winning over and over. Of course MJ "moves on", love is meaningless and transactional. Of course he lets Tombstone walk away, there is no triumphing over evil. Of course Norman must save him from his sins, the evil is not overcomable by anyone, for it is the strongest thing there is. It's a bad fit for Spidey. And it's repetitiveness has gotten stale.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I had an epiphany a couple of issues ago where the short version was that Shed was really everything we needed to know about Zeb Wells and I think over time that has just proven more true. To be clear, I mean that as a writer, not as a person, sometimes people just have drastically different writing styles and interests than they do as people, and this is neither the time nor place to judge a man. But a writer, well, that's exactly in our wheelhouse.

What I mean by Shed is everything we needed to know is just that Shed is a story that's about the writer making choices. There is no light in Shed. It's the darkest possible outcome of the Lizard story. It's not out of character or "bad", per se, because the Lizard has attempted to do terrible things several times before, he's always just been held off by Spider-Man or just barely by Connors himself. Shed is the story where he loses that battle, and the darkness wins. The only thing the story is missing is Curt's suicide at the end, which is the only realistic outcome to that situation, for the darkness to be complete. It's not a story that's wrong, but it's a choice. It's a choice to indulge in that bleakness and dark world view. The bad guys will win. Love is transactional and temporary. You can never truly conquer your demons. There are whole series where this is the outlook, and some people enjoy them, and that's their right, for sure. But personally I find it completely unenjoyable. But sometimes the darkness has to win. Not every story has a happy ending, and it's valid that this is how the Lizard's story would end. There's a story that people don't refernce much from like the 80s I think where this kid is being chased throughout the city because he has dangerous powers. Spider-Man fights off his attackers and defends the kid, but eventually he fails. The kid is killed and no one cares, because it's a justifiable kill. And yet Peter is just left devastated by the whole affair. Even if justified it still feels wrong and tragic to him, because he has this outlook that he can fix everything and everything can work out. It's not a bad story though. It's just the devil taking his due. So sometimes those stories are ok. But you would hope that a writer has more tricks than just the one, and it's become quite apparent that Wells just doesn't. This run is just the darkness winning over and over. Of course MJ "moves on", love is meaningless and transactional. Of course he lets Tombstone walk away, there is no triumphing over evil. Of course Norman must save him from his sins, the evil is not overcomable by anyone, for it is the strongest thing there is. It's a bad fit for Spidey. And it's repetitiveness has gotten stale.
    Agreed on all fronts. This kind of edgelord grimdark writing should have died with the 2010's. Wells is keeping it alive. He should team up with Zack Snyder and Lars von Trier.
    Last edited by Venomsaurus; 09-03-2023 at 04:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

You know what? That's pretty spot on. And Spider-Man could go dark but we need the good to overcome the bad at the end. Evil can win in books like the Punisher or Moon Knight, not ASM that's not the kind of stories I expect from this book.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Agreed on all fronts. This kind of edgelord grimdark writing should have died with the 2010's. Wells is keeping it alive. He should team up with Zack Snyder and Lars von Trier.
    You know what? That's pretty spot on. And Spider-Man could go dark but we need the good to overcome the bad at the end. Evil can win in books like the Punisher or Moon Knight, not ASM that's not the kind of stories I expect from this book.
    Even Moon Knight isn't that grim, at least not these days, given that now under Jed MacKay, it's become the story of a man trying to rebuild himself and his life after hitting rock bottom, rediscovering what's truly important to him that he's willing to fight to defend. It's the kind of story we could and should have also gotten with the basic opening premise for Wells's (not-so-)Amazing Spider-Man, though Xenon's post did sum up very well why we didn't get that and why we may never get that in this run.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    spoilers:
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/is-t...aven-spoilers/
    end of spoilers

Well um originality?
    I don't mind this. KLH has become an albatross in almost every writer's neck that no one can get rid of, and attempts to reiterate on it or 'spiritually success it' (for want of a better word) have all fallen flat.
    spoilers:
    Evil Spider-Man doing what Kraven did to him in order to torture him makes enough sense. I don't mind it being not particularly high hanging fruit if it sticks the landing, and Goblin-infused Spider-Man would definitely do something like this.
    end of spoilers
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I don't mind this. KLH has become an albatross in almost every writer's neck that no one can get rid of, and attempts to reiterate on it or 'spiritually success it' (for want of a better word) have all fallen flat.
    spoilers:
    Evil Spider-Man doing what Kraven did to him in order to torture him makes enough sense. I don't mind it being not particularly high hanging fruit if it sticks the landing, and Goblin-infused Spider-Man would definitely do something like this.
    end of spoilers
    I'm mostly amused that he's doing this
    spoilers:
    and it's not even the same Kraven that buried him in the first place. It's a totally different clone-son. Original Kraven is still a corpse after dying all over again a few years back in Spencer's run.
    end of spoilers

Can I take this moment to shameless recommend Spider-Man: Lost Hunt to anyone who hasn't read it yet? It may have been tied to that classic story, but it really was more thoughtful and introspective on the consequences, trauma, and redemption Peter felt coping with that experience than I suspect this will be.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I'm mostly amused that he's doing this
    spoilers:
    and it's not even the same Kraven that buried him in the first place. It's a totally different clone-son. Original Kraven is still a corpse after dying all over again a few years back in Spencer's run.
    end of spoilers
    I'm aware, but there's also the funny nugget that while villains are shown in the know this isn't actually Sergei (Rhino in Sinister War, then Kafka), Spider-Man doesn't seem to know so far. I'm curious to see whether Wells will go with "already knows he's the Last Son" or "still thinks he's original Kraven".
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Bluebird

Sure, there'll be times where it seems like evil is winning to end issues (it is comic books after all, cliffhangers and promising readers that stories will be continued next month is kind of the point), but ultimately, the good guy has to triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Sure, there'll be times where it seems like evil is winning to end issues (it is comic books after all, cliffhangers and promising readers that stories will be continued next month is kind of the point), but ultimately, the good guy has to triumph.
    The entire foundation of Modern Spider-Man is built on Mephisto scoring a victory over the character that by Editorial Decree can not be resolved.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Ehh prob. more attributed to the concept of parker luck here in this case.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    But is it?

I don’t think this run has figured out what it means by “sins.” Nor does this run show an understanding of Norman’s and Peter’s characters.

This could be a banger story - well, I guess nearly all ideas could be in the right hands - and it could be a fascinating, resonant, even psychological horror story about Peter looking at the world through Green Goblin eyes, to compare/contrast Peter and Norman - but this story is just “heh heh flip the surface of KLH and make the good guy bad heh heh” without stopping to think about the themes and nuances (and yes, that is obvious from the pages we have, I sincerely doubt the other pages will provide much else). Of course, this run has so far been able to demonstrate anything resembling themes, much less nuance.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Can I take this Spider-Man: Lost Hunt to anyone who hasn't read it yet? It may have been tied to that classic story, but it really was more thoughtful and introspective on the consequences, trauma, and redemption Peter felt coping with that experience than I suspect this will be.
    I mean you can. overall it was very boring though compared to the Ben mini that the author wrote prior.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy