Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Shed did have a moment of light for Spider-Man. The story is set at a time when Aunt May was under Mr. Negative's influence, and nasty to Peter.

Towards the end, he needs her to help process the trauma he's been through, and she calms down for him.
    Good reminding. You see, I expected Spider-Man possessed by Norman's sins would be like that "inverted Peter"; but then again, these are NORMAN's sins, so Peter technically can't act like himself with such dirt inside of him.

Gleason is a very good artist enjoyed the issue
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Good reminding. You see, I expected Spider-Man possessed by Norman's sins would be like that "inverted Peter"; but then again, these are NORMAN's sins, so Peter technically can't act like himself with such dirt inside of him.
    If only Wells has thought about what being possessed by Norman's sins would look like, instead of just making the sins shorthand for generic 3v!L *yawn.*

Norman's sins were pride and avarice. Those are the sins that led him to ignore Harry as a child and then sell Harry's soul to Mephisto; they were the sins that led him to use Stromm's formula and become the Green Goblin. Everything the Goblin did stems from those sins; one could argue wrath was added once Norman was under the influence of the formula, especially where Peter Parker was concerned.

So a Peter infected with Norman's sins would, common sense dictates, become proud and greedy. Power-hungry. Determined to crush people under his feet and not care how many crimes are committed so he can get his way. Become, well, like Norman Osborn of old.

But no, let's have an on-the-nose inverted Kraven's Last Hunt that ignores all the themes and resonance of the original story because Peter is generically 3v!L now. *yawn* spoilers:
    Complete with Norman instead of MJ fretting about Pete by the window BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wells tries even harder to ape JMD's writing style and it is sooooooooooooo sadly terrible, it's hysterically funny
    end of spoilers

I hope Pat Gleason gets the chance to illustrate his own stories soon. What an utter waste of good art.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-05-2023 at 10:37 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Jackpot and Paul are gonna have to put Peter down!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    If only Wells has thought about what being possessed by Norman's sins would look like, instead of just making the sins shorthand for generic 3v!L *yawn.*

Norman's sins were pride and avarice. Those are the sins that led him to ignore Harry as a child and then sell Harry's soul to Mephisto; they were the sins that led him to use Stromm's formula and become the Green Goblin. Everything the Goblin did stems from those sins; one could argue wrath was added once Norman was under the influence of the formula, especially where Peter Parker was concerned.

So a Peter infected with Norman's sins would, common sense dictates, become proud and greedy. Power-hungry. Determined to crush people under his feet and not care how many crimes are committed so he can get his way. Become, well, like Norman Osborn of old.

But no, let's have an on-the-nose inverted Kraven's Last Hunt that ignores all the themes and resonance of the original story because Peter is generically 3v!L now. *yawn* spoilers:
    Complete with Norman instead of MJ fretting about Pete by the window BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wells tries even harder to ape JMD's writing style and it is sooooooooooooo sadly terrible, it's hysterically funny
    end of spoilers

I hope Pat Gleason gets the chance to illustrate his own stories soon. What an utter waste of good art.
    Very good and rational criticism.

But Spider-Man comic when punchy punchy swingy swingy.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It’s still Peter WITH Osborns sins. A mixture, so I think it kinda tracks. The run has sucked, but this stuff has been pretty cool so far.

Bluebird

On its own, “evil Spider-Man who acts like a Goblin” is an admittedly interesting premise. It’s just the circumstances and context that make it untenable for most.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    On its own, “evil Spider-Man who acts like a Goblin” is an admittedly interesting premise. It’s just the circumstances and context that make it untenable for most.
    And yet, he doesn't kill

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It’s still Peter WITH Osborns sins. A mixture, so I think it kinda tracks. The run has sucked, but this stuff has been pretty cool so far.
    Yeah, this is certainly no KLH. Hell, it's not even as good as 'Hunted' or 'Grim Hunt.' But this arc and the Doc Ock arc just before it are still big steps up from 'Dead Language', 'Dark Web', and most of the other crap Wells was putting out before. Low bar, I know.

I'd give this a generous B- letter grade, whereas Dead Language would be like a D-

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    How confident are you that Spider-Goblin and Jackpot will fight? Is it in the region of 'too hot for her to handle'?

50/50. I'm hoping not becuase every scenario it involves I would hate seeing the pages for I think. Hoping Peter's jsut going to go after QG next only for Norman to step in. I hope they don't kill QG but I'm not ruling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    If anyone should stop Peter, it should be Aunt May.

Remember Aunt May? C'mon, I can't see even brutal evil Peter winning one over from a legendary Aunt May verbal beat down or inspirational speech. We haven't had one of those in YEARS.

Who is this person you speak of? Last I saw her she was mad at Peter for......nothing actually because she still doesn't know he's Spider-Man. So she was mad at him for getting dumped I guess.

I think i've said it somewhere before, but yeah, in a proper SQ May and MJ would push him to be better and he would overcome Norman's evil through force of will and the power of love, but as we've established Wells only knows how to do one type of story, so it will be Norman taking the sins back as a sacrifice to save him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Shed did have a moment of light for Spider-Man. The story is set at a time when Aunt May was under Mr. Negative's influence, and nasty to Peter.

Towards the end, he needs her to help process the trauma he's been through, and she calms down for him.
    Eh, that's a moment of comfort but not of light. There's no "hope" there. It's just May shaking off her temporary condition to do an ok thing. But also, not really the point. The point is that this is the only story Wells is capable of telling from all the evidence we've been presented, and that's too limited to be interesting. As well as I think a poor fit for the series, though of course that's subjective.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah, this is certainly no KLH. Hell, it's not even as good as 'Hunted' or 'Grim Hunt.' But this arc and the Doc Ock arc just before it are still big steps up from 'Dead Language', 'Dark Web', and most of the other crap Wells was putting out before. Low bar, I know.

I'd give this a generous B- letter grade, whereas Dead Language would be like a D-
    They'd investigate you for bribery if you gave DL any more than an F.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Dude that ending loll, Gleason’s art is amazing as usual I hope he eventually becomes the main artist for ASM, his style just fits so well for Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    They'd investigate you for bribery if you gave DL any more than an F.
    I mean, the art wasn’t terrible. And there was a moment I liked with the Thing getting a midnight snack. So that’s all that separates it from an F.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I mean, the art wasn’t terrible. And there was a moment I liked with the Thing getting a midnight snack. So that’s all that separates it from an F.
    *grumble* Alright the art is pretty good I'll give you that. I wish it looked like ASM10 so it matched the content. *grumble*

Astonishing Member

Everybody is turning against this run

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/09/06/th...gy-927-review/