Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    I think its more the lack of highlight in how the sins affect peter which is the qalm in the review, maybe some form of expectation in how some form of the partial sins would affect peter internally.
    Exactly.

The whole Sin things was weird anyway. I thought Spencer did an OK job with it but with Wells it's treated like Sins are some sort of widget you carry in your pocket.

"Gee, why don't I feel as EEEVVVVIIILLLL today? Hmm... look at that: all the sins attached to my sins keychain fell through that hole in my pocket. I guess I'm a good guy now."

We've all read lifetimes of stupid comic book contrivances but this one takes the historic concept of "Sin Eaters"
    https://gizmodo.com/the-weird-but-tr...ters-479990066

And turns it into something really banal and stoopid.

People have been saying that this run is a big retread of Brand New Day's greatest hits (History repeats itself, the first time as tragedy, the second as farce - Marx); didn't Mr Negative turn Peter evil in the Brand New Day era?
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    As an Argentinian myself, I now declare the whole country against this run
    We need to build an alliance! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I think this quote from the review is quite damning.

"As I said in my review of the last issue, this story arc is moving along too quickly. There’s no time to take in the moments, and instead, it rushes along with action and violent acts. I can see what the creative team is going for, but the why behind it all is absent. It’s also odd that Queen Goblin is completely gone, and there’s no hint of goodness in Peter. Is he completely gone, or will he snap back to good as quickly as he snapped to bad? The stakes don’t seem very high since moments like that can happen so quickly. What does it all mean? What is it all for? It’s unclear."

Reading the review itself, disregarding things like number ratings, the review is clearly saying the issue is disappointing.
    I was noting something like this after 26, where we took six issues to tell what was at most a issue story, but I think I can summarize it like this "It takes a long time to do nothing". It's very decompressed, but doesn't have the depth necessary to pull off a decompressed style. The whole benefit to that style is that you're able to dig into the situation and explore it a bit, so that while it might take 6 issues for a simple villain plot to resolve, in the meantime you got a bunch of acharacter work that shows you that Gwen likes Peaches and Peter could never get into racing games. Maybe it was inconsequential to the plot, maybe not. But at least you had some depth to really get into. The Wells run leaks a couple of pages the day before and if you go through the effort to read the full issue you get nothing more than what the choice 5 pages told you. It feels empty. He badly needs an editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Exactly.

The whole Sin things was weird anyway. I thought Spencer did an OK job with it but with Wells it's treated like Sins are some sort of widget you carry in your pocket.

"Gee, why don't I feel as EEEVVVVIIILLLL today? Hmm... look at that: all the sins attached to my sins keychain fell through that hole in my pocket. I guess I'm a good guy now."

We've all read lifetimes of stupid comic book contrivances but this one takes the historic concept of "Sin Eaters"
    https://gizmodo.com/the-weird-but-tr...ters-479990066

And turns it into something really banal and stoopid.
    It does make me wonder what Spencer intedned to do with Norman, if anything. He very intentionally left Norman without his sins while everyone else got theirs, but the whole putting them in Kafka thing was post-Spencer, so I do wonder how he would have handled the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    People have been saying that this run is a big retread of Brand New Day's greatest hits (History repeats itself, the first time as tragedy, the second as farce - Marx); didn't Mr Negative turn Peter evil in the Brand New Day era?
    IIRC he never got Peter but of course he did get May for a while. Though, does this mean Aunt May is going to get married again?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    I think its more the lack of highlight in how the sins affect peter which is the qalm in the review, maybe some form of expectation in how some form of the partial sins would affect peter internally.
    that's literally the first few pages of the issue we see his internal thoughts
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Since Peter has the sins, will he gain Norman's and/or Queen Goblin's powers?

Read it. I liked a few pages, esp the art (the black suit is awesome) but man, this is just a rehash of Kraven's Last Hunt in reverse. Just nowhere near as good. Please, retire Wells. They do not work as the frontrunner for Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Since Peter has the sins, will he gain Norman's and/or Queen Goblin's powers?
    hopefully something unique to him I still dont understand why Norman sins made Kafka a red sexy women
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    IAt least my interpretation from the articles words "It’s nice the creators acknowledge it, but what is going on in Spider-Man’s head to make him attempt murder? Why does he care? Is he simply out of his mind?".

Honestly this just feels like a stepping stone before we get back to the whole mob war.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    He did, but only in the "Dark Reign: Mr. Negative" miniseries.

Spectacular Member

Honestly what is with Wells and doing what in my opinion are crappy renditions of already existing storylines? Like this issue/storyline at least to me reads like a poor man's Kraven's Last Hunt merged with Norman sins, not to mention his blatant reusing of the Betty Brant storyline with Randy. Hell even the timeskip breakup thing and a random new boyfriend(that isn't explained for a long time) isn't exactly original, it literally borrows that from the Bobby Carr story(and the not explained portion from OMIT), the only new aspects are that MJ spent years with the genocidal plot device(that is apparently her "boyfriend" or if the editorial hadn't acknowledged their screwup "husband") and raised illusory "children"(sigils).
    Last edited by blank; 09-07-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Amazing Member

What a pathetic and amateurish attempt to write JMD dialogue. One would think once the MJ/Paul/Kids nonsense is out of sight the stories would become sort of readable, but seriously, this run is a disgrace. And I liked Shed.

BANNED

I enjoyed this issue. I’m looking forward to the next one. Dialogue gets janky but writing is hard. It has plenty of bright spots.

Only real gripe without getting too cerebral is that only three things happen:

Spiderman injects him.
    He runs.
    Spiderman throws him in a grave.

That’s the story.

But it was tense and Spider-Man comes across as sinister.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    As an Argentinian myself, I now declare the whole country against this run
    There are many of us here

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    We need to build an alliance! Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    There are many of us here