Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Credit where credit is due, at least having Kraven's internal voices duke it out whether he IS his dad or not actually gives them a reason for being, even if it's still not as inspired as DeMatteis' take.
    It reads like a bad parody to me. The black captions boxes are totally superfluous

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    It's incredible that Peter won zero fights on his own since Wells took over the books.

This is even worst than the Mary Jane thing.
    he beat venom this run
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    he beat venom this run
    And Venom was regressed and mindless LOLOLOL

That’s one fight out of 32 issues plus specials?

Yeah Wells’s Spider-Man is a truly victorious, alright. What a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    It reads like a bad parody to me. The black captions boxes are totally superfluous
    I’d heard Zeb Wells was a comedic writer, and I have to concur: the attempts to ape DeMatteis are some of the funniest things I’ve read in his run so far. Maybe in all of comics.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-01-2023 at 09:00 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Spider-Man has most definitely NOT won most of his fights in the Wells run.

Tombstone: thoroughly pwned by Tombstone, who outsmarted him, chained him, beat him severely, and tricked him into doing his dirty work for which Peter said, aw, poor baby, you had a tough childhood, you unreliable narrator you, sure, you go around and keep going your crime, just don’t let me see it!

ASM 900: needs Sinister Six to help him, then needs the Living Brain to magic away the Sinister Six when they’re about to beat him.

Vulture: screams he’s going to die and needs daddy Norman to save him. Finally remembers he has semblance of wits and powers of his own but needs daddy Norman’s supersuit for any kind of a win.

Hobgoblins: again thinks he’s going to die, but look! Daddy Norman to the rescue.

Moirabot: saved by Wolverine. All Peter does is drop the EMP device so Moira can get away.

Dark Web: gets one victory against a mentally regressed Venom by stealing manga and lighting it on fire. In Limbo, is resigned to losing an eye to the demonic sinister six but have no fear, ReKrap rescues damsel Peter. ReKrap and daddy Norman also rescue Peter in the big fight.

Felicia spa visit: doesn’t check if the dead body is actually dead, has trouble bringing down tech bros using new to them villain tech and needs assists from Felicia and White Rabbit.

ASM 21: loses to Rabin

ASM 22: saved by Paul. Is about to be killed by Wayep, is saved by MJ using the dimensional portal device

ASM 24: saved by Paul again.

ASM 25: rubs it in he was saved by Paul in ASM 24.

ASM 26: does nothing of any consequence. Kamala gets the “hero” moment by turning herself into a dead duck decoy and standing haplessly around while Reed solves the glyph monster. In truth, a deus ex machina back from the dead Wayep saves the day by eliminating Rabin.

Doc Ock: needs Ock’s arms to get anywhere near Ock. Daddy Norman, without any toys, delivers the decisive blow and then has to stop Petey from killing Ock, saving Peter from himself and the “influence” of Ock’s arm.

ASM 31: reacts too slow to stop Tombstone from getting shot. Shotgun easily gets away. Doesn’t stop the car bomb that apparently kills Madame Masque. All in all, is thoroughly ineffectual and the events would have played out as they did without him being in the story.

Kraven arc will no doubt end much the same way as the Ock arc, since it’s practically the same story: Petey is under the influence of supervillain traits, oh no, won’t someone think of the children and stop him from giving into his darkest impulses? *clutches pearls*
    Thank you for this recap.

Peter feels even more useless and weak than he did in the Slott era.

Pathetic. What a disastrous run.

And Venom was regressed and mindless LOLOLOL

That’s one fight out of 32 issues plus specials?

Yeah Wells’s Spider-Man is a truly victorious, alright. What a hero.

I’d heard Zeb Wells was a comedic writer, and I have to concur: the attempts to ape DeMatteis are some of the funniest things I’ve read in his run so far. Maybe in all of comics.
    still beat someone
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

So the only victory he had in Wells' run is Venom who at that time was utterly nerfed.

lol

That's not helping the case.

I was re-reading Conway's run and yeah, Spidey struggled and didn't always win the first round but he almost always still won the fight or defeated the villain on his own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was re-reading Conway's run and yeah, Spidey struggled and didn't always win the first round but he almost always still won the fight or defeated the villain on his own terms.
    Besides in Conway's run Peter was like 19 years old? and still shocked after Gwen's death. Understable.

This is the Way.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    My memory must be starting to go, how could I forget that?

That good old Spidey-Scarlet banter. How I miss it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    The cold truth about this run is that Mary Jane is so out of her lane as a character that the whole run is about her and has been since issue #1. Watching Spider-Man fight a goon is just filler until we see how MJ and Peter reconcile.

And that will be true of the next run too if Lowe gets cute and tries to force Paul and MJ onto another writer.
    She's the acid cloud that destoys everything else he's trying to do! =D

(Un)Fortunately, everything else he's doing isn't that great anyway, so......

It's incredible that Peter won zero fights on his own since Wells took over the books.

It's not worse because it doesn't' mean anything long term. The next fight he can be treated properly and it serves as its own fix. The MJ stuff requires its own intereventions.

Tombstone: thoroughly pwned by Tombstone, who outsmarted him, chained him, beat him severely, and tricked him into doing his dirty work for which Peter said, aw, poor baby, you had a tough childhood, you unreliable narrator you, sure, you go around and keep going your crime, just don’t let me see it!

ASM 900: needs Sinister Six to help him, then needs the Living Brain to magic away the Sinister Six when they’re about to beat him.

Vulture: screams he’s going to die and needs daddy Norman to save him. Finally remembers he has semblance of wits and powers of his own but needs daddy Norman’s supersuit for any kind of a win.

Hobgoblins: again thinks he’s going to die, but look! Daddy Norman to the rescue.

Moirabot: saved by Wolverine. All Peter does is drop the EMP device so Moira can get away.

Dark Web: gets one victory against a mentally regressed Venom by stealing manga and lighting it on fire. In Limbo, is resigned to losing an eye to the demonic sinister six but have no fear, ReKrap rescues damsel Peter. ReKrap and daddy Norman also rescue Peter in the big fight.

Felicia spa visit: doesn’t check if the dead body is actually dead, has trouble bringing down tech bros using new to them villain tech and needs assists from Felicia and White Rabbit.

ASM 21: loses to Rabin

ASM 22: saved by Paul. Is about to be killed by Wayep, is saved by MJ using the dimensional portal device

ASM 24: saved by Paul again.

ASM 25: rubs it in he was saved by Paul in ASM 24.

ASM 26: does nothing of any consequence. Kamala gets the “hero” moment by turning herself into a dead duck decoy and standing haplessly around while Reed solves the glyph monster. In truth, a deus ex machina back from the dead Wayep saves the day by eliminating Rabin.

Doc Ock: needs Ock’s arms to get anywhere near Ock. Daddy Norman, without any toys, delivers the decisive blow and then has to stop Petey from killing Ock, saving Peter from himself and the “influence” of Ock’s arm.

ASM 31: reacts too slow to stop Tombstone from getting shot. Shotgun easily gets away. Doesn’t stop the car bomb that apparently kills Madame Masque. All in all, is thoroughly ineffectual and the events would have played out as they did without him being in the story.

Kraven arc will no doubt end much the same way as the Ock arc, since it’s practically the same story: Petey is under the influence of supervillain traits, oh no, won’t someone think of the children and stop him from giving into his darkest impulses? *clutches pearls*
    Nice Summary!

Sad what it's summarizing but nice summary none the less, lol.

It's not an accurate summary.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Yeah. I mean, you can even look at the early Lee/Ditko stories where Spidey often was defeated in the first round against some villain only to by the end of story find a way to outsmart the villain. Peter is supposed to be intelligent and use his brain as much as his strength to be victorious. Feels like writers today are completely out of touch with Lee/Ditkos creation even if it seems they desperately wants that teenage Peter Parker back

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not an accurate summary.
    Isn't it though? I've read the issues and it seems pretty accurate, if more to the point for brevity's sake.