Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default OT: Overlooked D-listers that could/should have been huge

If there was one thing that I loved about the newest Spiderverse movie it was seeing a D list villain, which most people don't even know exists, given the chance to shine in the spotlight. The Spot may certainly not be a popular villain but he clearly has the potential to be a big threat, which this movie did a wonderful job of showcasing.

So with that in mind I put it to you the well versed patrons of CBR, what other D-list, forgotten heroes or villains do you think could make a huge impact given the right storyline?

I would say the spot is a popular villen now I bet he will mov up the ranks in the 616 very soon

Hopefully this counts, but my choice would be...

Earth Force

Incredible Member

Multiple Man.

Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be...

The U-Foes

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-05-2023 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Some good choices, here.

I'd like to nominate Shen Kuei, The Cat. Here's a guy who can match Shang Chi in a straight-up fight, who is NOT a superhero but an espionage agent, an espionage agent who has gone rogue and basically runs around doing stuff like 'Oh, this superweapon exists? I don't think governments are responsible enough for that, so I'm going to go destroy the weapon and the plans for the weapon.'

He's a guy who could make for a great antagonist while supplying moral issues (he sneaks into a US military lab to destroy something and comes into conflict with a hero - what does the hero do when he finds out this guy is destroying not just US Government resources, but a pretty terrifying chemical weapon or the like?). He could be an uneasy ally in other situations. And all of this wrapped up in the ability to kick around with the best of the street-level fighters.

Great character with a lot of potential.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Night Shift

All of the above. Plus my predictably-always-go-to, my boy…
    IMG_1867.jpg
    Midnight Sun. Fedora-wearing, super-fast, super-strong, mute Kung-Fu master with alien cyborg parts and memory issues. All class, all the time.

Also:
    IMG_1868.jpg
    Mongoose. Speedster, super-strong Sabretooth. There aren’t many people whose three main enemies are Spider-Man, Thor and the High Evolutionary.
    Chief Curmudgeon

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    All of the above. Plus my predictably-always-go-to, my boy…
    IMG_1867.jpg
    Midnight Sun. Fedora-wearing, super-fast, super-strong, mute Kung-Fu master with alien cyborg parts and memory issues. All class, all the time.
    I was honestly - truly! - waiting for this. ^_^

Also:
    IMG_1868.jpg
    Mongoose. Speedster, super-strong Sabretooth. There aren’t many people whose three main enemies are Spider-Man, Thor and the High Evolutionary.
    Oooo, good one.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I would say the spot is a popular villen now I bet he will mov up the ranks in the 616 very soon
    The Spot is written very poorly in my view. He has one of the most amazing powers in the Marvel U. He can open portals anywhere. He could be the best assassin in the world, the best thief, he could be a high level threat to many heroes. Spiderman uses his spidersense to stop him but how would other heroes stop a man who can just appear at random or grab them and open a portal over the city and just let them drop.

I know its comics and they have to write him as fighting heroes and stuff but they could do so much of a better job of it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Spot is written very poorly in my view. He has one of the most amazing powers in the Marvel U. He can open portals anywhere. He could be the best assassin in the world, the best thief, he could be a high level threat to many heroes. Spiderman uses his spidersense to stop him but how would other heroes stop a man who can just appear at random or grab them and open a portal over the city and just let them drop.

I know its comics and they have to write him as fighting heroes and stuff but they could do so much of a better job of it.
    Another D-list Spider-Man villain that could have been huge is Freak. Not a great name I admit but he has the power to come back from the dead impervious to whatever killed him before. Basically Doomsday but much lower level for now. Still I would love to see a storyline set 100 years in the future or something where Freak has been killed multiple times, turning him into an unstoppable, world ending threat.

Jack of Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Jack of Hearts

Agree he should have been used more, but is really he a D-lister? The guy served on the Avengers for quite a while…
    Chief Curmudgeon

I’d say there was a bunch of characters from the Defenders that could have been used more.

Damian Hellstrom, Devil Slayer, Overmind, Cloud, Manslaughter, Gargoyle, Andromeda, Interloper…

Also Puma and Rintrah.

(My focus is really only on Marvel.)
    Chief Curmudgeon

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-1000 View Post
    Another D-list Spider-Man villain that could have been huge is Freak. Not a great name I admit but he has the power to come back from the dead impervious to whatever killed him before. Basically Doomsday but much lower level for now. Still I would love to see a storyline set 100 years in the future or something where Freak has been killed multiple times, turning him into an unstoppable, world ending threat.
    Hmm, Freak 2099, maybe?
    The spider is always on the hunt.