Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Hancock." I hesitate to include this, since I don't know if I'd call it a "good" film but the name is stupid. It's a superhero movie about an original superhero nobody's heard of .... named "Hancock." Nothing about that title indicates anything about the movie. (I mean, maybe because his character's a dick.... still, lame name)
    I thought the point was he was a random homeless dude in need of guidance with nothing else besides his superheroes defining him. He had no franchise brand or name behind him and I think it's still the highest grossing superhero movie not based on anything, just off the movie and Will Smith's star power.

I get what it was going for, but Starship Troopers still sounds unbelievably corny and generic.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Tim Robbins seems to have a ton of them.

The Shawshank Redemption
    Hudsucker Proxy
    Bull Durham
    Arlington Road
    Bob Roberts
    I like Shawshank Redemption. Sounds like there is hope in a rough place. Now, if they used the original title, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, that would have been misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Empire Strikes Back.

The title reads like something from one of the old direct to home video studios would have put out in the 80's, that is only known today for being featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
    Wasn't it intentionally invoking old movie serials from the 1950s?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I thought the point was he was a random homeless dude in need of guidance with nothing else besides his superheroes defining him. He had no franchise brand or name behind him and I think it's still the highest grossing superhero movie not based on anything, just off the movie and Will Smith's star power.
    I don't see what any of that has to do with the fact that the name "Hancock" is lame because it tells you nothing about the movie. If anything, some people might think it's about one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't see what any of that has to do with the fact that the name "Hancock" is lame because it tells you nothing about the movie. If anything, some people might think it's about one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence.
    In the spirit of the thread I thought it was a good at least movie, enough that it justified why it didn't give it a bombastic title like Street Messiah.

Up
    Brave
    Frozen
    Wish

Took them years to think of these titles! Years!

Pi
    6-7-8-9-10

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Up
    Brave
    Frozen
    Wish

Took them years to think of these titles! Years!
    No doubt they went through several Focus Groups as well to arrive at these titles.
    The process was so good we also now have:

Soul
    Elemental
    Onward
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

The Chronicles of Riddick. Why would you not put "Pitch Black" in the title?

The Chumscrubber. Yeah, no.

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. Way to remove any tension neither the title, guys.

The Witch is super generic, hence many prefer to spell it The VVitch in accordance with ye olde stylized title font.

Octopussy. How is that even real? I'm trying to imagine going to a theater back then and saying at the counter, "Two for Octopussy, please."

For the record, I think Edge of Tommorow is a firn title, it actually does describe the movie. Live Die Repeat just feels silly.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    The Little mermaid. Ariel was 16, hardly little. It made the film sound like it was Ok kiddie fare for five year olds when it was much more sophisticated than that...
    I don't know about the remake, but the original was a movie for five year olds (and up). And Ariel counts as little.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-19-2023 at 08:36 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I don't know about the remake, but the original was a movie for five year olds (and up). And Ariel counts as little.
    Ursula was the BIG mermaid.