Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman Upcoming Teases Discussion

Figured we could use a thread where I can dump upcoming teases for Superman related stuff that I come across, and since I don’t know what’s a good title for that I choose to rip off the WW General Discussion thread. I would use the Superman Appreciation thread but no one ever bothers to read that.

Anyway, figured I’d start off by sharing some stuff from Clayton Henry who is seemingly working on something Superman related that involves Clark, Jor-El, and Mon-El?!? First I thought it was a Legion book but at this point I think the people who were saying it was for Superman must have been right. Based on the cover and Jor-El looking like his Secret Origins incarnation, it seems set in current continuity. Another mainline Superman book? A fill-in arc with Williamson? It’s got my attention for the sheer oddness of what would bring all these characters together (long as Taylor isn’t writing).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That top looks like a cool tribute cover .

Kal and Jor meeting again is such a weird plotline. Would they really do that again with Earth 0 Superman and Jor?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

They need a new Jor El really, so I hope
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Figured we could use a thread where I can dump upcoming teases for Superman related stuff that I come across, and since I don’t know what’s a good title for that I choose to rip off the WW General Discussion thread. I would use the Superman Appreciation thread but no one ever bothers to read that.

Anyway, figured I’d start off by sharing some stuff from Clayton Henry who is seemingly working on something Superman related that involves Clark, Jor-El, and Mon-El?!? First I thought it was a Legion book but at this point I think the people who were saying it was for Superman must have been right. Based on the cover and Jor-El looking like his Secret Origins incarnation, it seems set in current continuity. Another mainline Superman book? A fill-in arc with Williamson? It’s got my attention for the sheer oddness of what would bring all these characters together (long as Taylor isn’t writing).
    To me it seems like a Superman annual or special of some kind. The first image seems like a cover homaging the tipical cover with several scenes like in Superman Vol. 1 #423.
    All these escenes make thinki we are going what it will be a retelling of the story of Superman, from his origin to present day. I mean the cover shows scenes of events very classic from before: the death of Krypton, the debut of Superman, green car included, the run against Flash, his fight againt the Greatest Ali, Lex Luthor... And also there are events from the modern era than can be considered classic now: Doomsday, the funeral, the wedding, the birth of Jonathan.

And the presence of Mon-El and Jor-El among this images really makes me happy because most probably some clean up in the continuity after some really bad decisions made before. I wish to see this means the recanoniticy of Mon-El as a daxamite prisioner of the phantom zone and big brother of Superman.

Also... in that image of Jor-El, is he building/creating a Phantom zone portal? (You know, the floating square than wanders in space).

Maybe it is a set-up for the Legion, But still, it seems more like a clean up for Superman continuity.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 09-05-2023 at 06:35 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Any continuity clean up would be a wasted effort because inevitably people would point out how it doesn’t fit. But that’s as likely a theory as any other. Williamson just did an Annual and Clayton just posted this however…

Just checked and we have not gotten a 2023 Action Annual yet, so it looks like this might be for PKJ! And Clark is wearing the Golden Age symbol there.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I think "Action Comics Presents: Doomsday Special #1" filled for the AC Annual this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I think "Action Comics Presents: Doomsday Special #1" filled for the AC Annual this year.
    Maybe a 2024 Annual then.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Maybe a 2024 Annual then.
    Yeah, next year is more likely for an AC annual. Annuals get released in months with 5 Tuesdays, and Dec 2023 has only 4.

Barrows is also working on something for Superman since I don’t recognize these from the Doomsday Special (if someone does feel free to let me know):

Bottom one kinda looks like the Steve Beach cover with Superman in armor, maybe he’s doing a filler issue for Sandoval in the upcoming Action arc.

From Bleeding Cool, spoiling the end of this week’s World’s Finest. Given this I think we can make a guess that Clayton Henry is going to be the artist for Action once Waid takes over. All that stuff he drew, Mon-El, Jor, the Golden Age Superman, I think that’s for Action. Once Waid takes over the book, it will shift back to a similar time period as World’s Finest where Waid will basically be retconning mainline Superman to something more his liking.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

So, you think it's pretty much certain?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    So, you think it's pretty much certain?
    I, and a few others, @‘d PKJ on Twitter asking him if he was staying on Action. He’s been active on there recently but hasn’t replied to any of us. We’ve had similar scares before and he was good about letting us know that he was still on. I think this time yeah, he’s off the book. It’s going to really suck if DC didn’t let him know about this before it was solicited because that’s an incredibly ******* thing to do. Would love to be wrong and to have PKJ come out on Mon and let us know he’s staying on, but between solicit and the WF tease, I’m assuming that Waid is taking over.

Could be PKJ is taking over Justice League or World’s Finest (I assume Waid is going to have to drop a book if he wants to do Action), but who knows.

Judging from the boxing stuff, looks like Clark vs Muhammad Ali is canon in this story?

Hm scratch that, the sketch cover Henry drew references modern continuity with the marriage, Jon’s birth, and Doomsday alongside older Pre-Crisis stuff. If I’m right about it being for Action, either Waid is defying expectations and writing the book in the modern day, it’s not for Waid and Action, or I suppose it could just be misleading. But I’m still leaning towards my original guess.