Fantastic Member

Default Double Standards In Marvel

I have been hearing about a lot of double standards in Marvel lately. Apparently, only men can be violent, Peter Parker can't be happy, other heroes can kill but the Punisher shouldn't, powerful women not named Storm go crazy, etc. I am wondering how much of this is true and whether anyone else noticed other double standards.

Here is an article: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-hu...ble-standards/

Lies, exaggerations, coincidences, and spin doctoring.

Ignore the article.

Marvel has a lot of really powerful really insane/evil male characters who are burdened by their power as well.

Sentry, Mad Jim Jaspers, Molecule Man and most prominently the Hulk/Banner who has been doing this dance since the 60s. The harsh reality is that if you give a character the power to "do anything" you need to come up with a reason why they don't solve every conflict immediately. Insanity is great for that.

Edit:

Also how is Black Widow not a stereotype of the Eastern European femme fatale spy? She's stereotypical as hell.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 09-03-2023 at 05:19 PM.

I think Peter is just status quo thing. As for the violent women thing it depends on the setting, nobody cares about Gamora, Medusa, or Carol killing because alien lives don't matter. Killing humans is treated differently. Power corrupting common as heck plot point. It just happened in Tony's last run when he got the Korvac power and happens to sentry every other week. Typically as a way to undo a temporary power up. As for Frank you just couldn't have Punisher stories if the rest of the heroes actually made an effort to stop him.

I wish my favorite characters got "fridged" the same way Ms Marvel did.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    I have been hearing about a lot of double standards in Marvel lately. Apparently, only men can be violent, Peter Parker can't be happy, other heroes can kill but the Punisher shouldn't, powerful women not named Storm go crazy, etc. I am wondering how much of this is true and whether anyone else noticed other double standards.

Here is an article: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-hu...ble-standards/
    Some parts of the article are nonsense but some are on point.

Maybe it's changing but Marvel does seem to want their BIPOC characters to always address social issues which is a terrible way to approach all BIPOC superheroes.

Some people just want to be people regardless of their ethnicities and that extends to superheroes. I would argue the need for BIPOC characters to address certain political issues has messed up characters like Black Panther.

Also, Marvel had the problem with very powerful women going crazy in the past but post House of M, we don't see it much again.

The basic premise of that article is that characters that belong to minorities do not do well in Marvel: in-universe their life sucks, and out-of-universe Marvel treats the property awfully.

And that's right.

The mistake is in thinking that there is a "double standard" there. Marvel does that exact same thing to EVERYBODY, including their flagship characters and the properties worth millions of dollars.