Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default How would you bring back the New 52?

Let's say DC puts you in charge of finding a way to bring back the New 52? How would you do it? I would do an Ultimates style line. Start off with T-shirt Superman and Wonder Woman. See how that goes. Since current Batman is basically the New 52 Batman continued, I'd probably wait on him. It would be the early years.
    Assassinate Putin!

Dear god I would never bring this back. That crap killed my love for DC.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I'd merge it with the Earth One imprint. Having both come out at the same time made Earth One feel redundant.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-05-2023 at 08:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Ignore everything for Superman after the revelation of Clark's identity. Everyone else simply continues from there. I'd reboot everything for Earth 2 so that Darkseid never invaded

Not much to bring back asides of Superman. Everything else I feel still exists in one form or another.

New 52 is a weird situation, because a lot of what happened in the New 52 is still part of the backstory for various characters, right? Green Lantern, Batman... Flash? Maybe Flash. Like a lot of DC fans, I don't keep up with what every character is doing...

Anyway, I guess Wonder Woman and Superman are the main ones who got retconned out of their New 52 histories. So... I think your idea is pretty straightforward? Set them both on a new world, release a series revolving around them, and let loose. Put Kal in his t-shirt and jeans 90% of the time, use the armor for boss fights. Have him hang out with Jimmy a lot, and for the love of God, make sure to keep Lois as a regular presence this time around! Meanwhile for Wonder Woman, well, lean into the dark fantasy elements her series had back then.

And for both of them, focus on the element of their youthfulness and passion to make the world a better place.

Most of the rest of the Justice League are pretty similar to how they were back then, so I don't think including them a lot does much to set the "New" New 52 apart. Instead I would try to focus on ideas that the New 52 had floating around, but didn't do much with them.

* I guess bring back J'onn J'onzz's role as leader of StormWatch? That was kind of fun I guess.

* Definitely add more Wildstorm elements in general. Beyond that, there's plenty to think of.

* The Laser-Hulk version of OMAC

* Frankenstein of S.H.A.D.E.

* The two Firestorms who fuse to form a bigger, stronger Firestorm

* Batwoman? I honestly have no idea what she's been doing since the New 52, I just remember her New 52 series being good, and really pretty to look at.

* References to The Red and The Green from Animal Man and Swamp Thing

* Bunker. Do y'all remember Bunker? I loved Bunker.

New 52 had some fun ideas floating around. It just usually didn't do enough with them.

But in fact I think most of those work well as guest stars in a Superman or Wonder Woman (or Superman/Wonder Woman) series. So I guess I'd say, just start dropping 1-3 titles in the New New 52, rather than overextending it like the Old New 52 definitely did.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Yeah, SM/WW title would probably make the most sense since it would offer something that isn't a thing in regular continuity.

-- Instead of jumping ahead five years, document that time period after the JL forms. Show them actually grow to become trusted comrades and friends.
    -- Make Hal not an arrogant jerk.
    -- Show what happened with J'onn
    -- Bring back Pandora in a story that showed why she was important instead of a character that went nowhere, just to be exploded.

Not sure what else from the Nu52 I'd use. Honestly, aside from the JL, I can't remember what was unique to that continuity.... Team 7? If I had to use them, I guess I'd have one story where they crossed over with the JL, resulting in Dinah jumping ship and becoming Black Canary.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Let's say DC puts you in charge of finding a way to bring back the New 52? How would you do it? I would do an Ultimates style line. Start off with T-shirt Superman and Wonder Woman. See how that goes. Since current Batman is basically the New 52 Batman continued, I'd probably wait on him. It would be the early years.
    SHort answer: I wouldn't I have my own pitch for an Ultimate style DC

Longer better answer: I like where you head is with a superman/wonderwoman team up/romance book, but I would have that in the shoot for 2nd, I would lead with a "trinity of Sin" 3 parter that each was a double sized issue with the main story being 1 story told from the 3 members (Pandora Question and Phantom Stranger) at some point in the past interacting... then each will have 2 short back ups 1 for each not POV character in a stand alone at different points in time) each of those stand alone short back ups would detail something that not only is different then normal DCU, but something that makes NU52U different from reality...

the same month that 3rd hit (and I would aim it for a 5 week month) I would have 2 ongoing taking place hit, Superman/Wonderwoman, and Batman
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    New 52 is a weird situation, because a lot of what happened in the New 52 is still part of the backstory for various characters, right? Green Lantern, Batman... Flash? Maybe Flash. Like a lot of DC fans, I don't keep up with what every character is doing...

Anyway, I guess Wonder Woman and Superman are the main ones who got retconned out of their New 52 histories. So... I think your idea is pretty straightforward? Set them both on a new world, release a series revolving around them, and let loose. Put Kal in his t-shirt and jeans 90% of the time, use the armor for boss fights. Have him hang out with Jimmy a lot, and for the love of God, make sure to keep Lois as a regular presence this time around! Meanwhile for Wonder Woman, well, lean into the dark fantasy elements her series had back then.

And for both of them, focus on the element of their youthfulness and passion to make the world a better place.

Most of the rest of the Justice League are pretty similar to how they were back then, so I don't think including them a lot does much to set the "New" New 52 apart. Instead I would try to focus on ideas that the New 52 had floating around, but didn't do much with them.

* I guess bring back J'onn J'onzz's role as leader of StormWatch? That was kind of fun I guess.

* Definitely add more Wildstorm elements in general. Beyond that, there's plenty to think of.
    Those were the best parts... I don't need JJ to be the current leader of SW, but have him as once being one...

I still think the BIGGEST mistake DC makes is not grabbing a bunch of lesser heroes (not nobodies but 2nd string and 3rd string) mixing the WIldstorm and MIlestone Characters in and that should be it's own movie universe...

IMagine Storm Watch, and SHadow Cabnet with hawkman martian manhunter and a few JSAers with your main solitude heroes being Icon and Apallo
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Yeah, most of New 52 is actually still canon, though Superman and Wonder Woman's solo New 52 stuff has been completely retconned away, and Justice League has been pushed back in the timeline to before New Teen Titans so now takes place much earlier (it's still Cyborg's current origin, plus moving it means the Supes/Womdy relationship can still work, as in it's original placement, Clark would now already be married to Lois). Also Teen Titans plays out very differently, as now Tim and Cassie already know each other instead of being total strangers (Cassie also therefore is no longer a thief and tomb raider), they know immediately that Bar-Torr isn't who he claims to be (Bart Allen/Kid Flash) because they now still remember Impulse, the New 52 Superboy has been erased so he never joins that version of the team. The run must've still happened though as Bunker still has his Titans history (he turned up in Teen Titans Academy as a teacher's aide and active Teen Titan) and Solstice still has the power boost she can't turn off from there (she was shown in Heroes in Crisis).

The way to fix New 52 is simple. New 52 Action Comics, Superman, Wonder Woman and Teen Titans are designated as a new alternate universe. Batman and Green Lantern get rebooted properly as part of that universe, which they weren't originally.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I mean...I wouldn't? Honestly, there are very few uniquely New 52 things that haven't been folded into Rebirth continuity (or whatever we're calling it now). Of those, I think Morrison's New 52 Superman is about the only thing people are actually interested in seeing again (okay, I guess maybe Azarello's WW had her fans too?)

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd merge it with the Earth One imprint. Having both come out at the same time made Earth One feel redundant.
    Pretty much this. Its actually the approach Marvel seems to be taking with their revived Ultimate Universe - creating a new universe in the spirit of the original one.

In fact, I'd set it on Earth 1 (a designation which hasn't officially been assigned to any earth in the current Multiverse as far as I know).

Here's what I do.

This is a 'young DCU' starting from Day 1. There's no real history of superheroes on this earth until modern times...though there might have been hidden entities, groups, and being. So no JSA, basically.

As for some individual characters I'd focus on:

Superman: Not quiet Morrison's T-shirt and jeans Superman, but someone in a similar vein - possibly wearing the Fleischer outfit. He'd be inspired by the early Siegal/Shuster stories, the George Reeves TV show, and the Fleischer cartoons - basically a thoroughly Golden Age/early Silver Age take on the character, albeit one who steadily evolves from a Champion of the Oppressed to a superhero increasingly facing science-based threats and becoming a global icon. Metropolis is a retro-futuristic city, inspired by a 1939 World's Fair idea of what the 21st century would look like, blended in with elements of our real present-day. Lex Luthor is more scientist than businessman, albeit still phenomenally rich. And we have the 'triangle for two' in place.

Wonder Woman: She'd be inspired by Marston's original take on Wonder Woman from the Golden Age, with maybe some elements from the Lynda Carter show. I'd emphasize the science-related aspects of Themyscera, an present it as a scientifically-advanced society and not just a mystical place. Diana's power levels would be back to the Golden Age, and she can't fly, though she might eventually develop the ability to manipulate air currents. The invisible plane is very much in play though. And she'd have the secret identity as Diana Prince, an agent of ARGUS working alongside Colonel Steve Trevor.

Batman: A very noir-ish pulpy take on the Dark Knight, inspired by the earliest Kane/Finger stories, as well as the Bronze Age and BTAS. He'd probably start with the original Kane suit and then gradually shift to the BTAS suit with the yellow oval. Batman is highly skilled and capable as a detective and a fighter but he's not some invincible Bat-God. Bruce is already a veteran crime-fighter for five years before the other superheroes start to show up, and that experience is about the only edge he may have over them. Dick Grayson is in his early-teens and has been taken in by Bruce and is being trained by him...he will eventually become Robin.

Flash: Barry Allen in a very classic status quo that blends elements of the earliest Silver Age comics, the New 52, and the CW show. His one true love is Iris, but at present he might be dating Patty Spivot. He's a science-based hero and a hero of the people, more accessible to the man on the street. He works closely with STAR Labs, and he fights the colorful rogues. Oh, and he's got both parents alive and well!

Green Lantern: John Stewart, a former US Marine who became Green Lantern a decade ago, but has only now returned to earth after being reassigned to Sector 2814, and has to navigate a world that's very different from the one he left behind. Has close ties with the other GLC members, including Kilowog, Tomar Re and Katma Tui.

Aquaman: A clean-shaven orange shirted Silver Age take on Aquaman. This is a younger version who's only starting to explore his Atlantean heritage and still operates largely as a free agent in protecting the seven seas.

Martian Manhunter: Heavily inspired by the DCAU take. J'onn has been on earth for decades, but his emergence heralds the events that lead to the formation of the Justice League, namely a White Martian invasion. J'onn is physically not very strong, relative to Superman or Wonder Woman - his real strengths are his psychic abilities, shapechanging and intangibility.

Hawkgirl: Shayera Hol of Thanagar, based off the Silver Age and DCAU takes. Eventually her husband Katar Hol will appear on earth as well. She's a deep-cover agent for the Thanagarian military on a mission on earth, who's nonetheless come to blend into human society and become a defender of humanity.

Green Arrow: A younger version of the character inspired by Lemire's New 52 run, as well as the early Golden Age/Silver Age take. He gradually starts to develop his social conscience and a major part of his character arc will be the transition from being Batman-lite to a crusader for the man on the street and their champion in a world of heroes and villains.

Black Canary: Dinah Drake Lance, a lounge-singer and young widow who's lost her husband Larry Lance at the start of her story. This leads to her becoming the Black Canary, and working alongside the Green Arrow, with whom she develops a bit of a love/hate relationship. Batman also plays a significant role in training her.

Eventually, a few more heroes might be introduced, including Cyborg, the Atom, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Vixen, Stargirl, Plastic Man etc.

The only way I could see me bringing something as (almost) completely terrible as the New 52 back would be as a borderline Earth-3 type scenario, where those versions of the characters are invading the current Rebirth/Dawn of DC era, jockeying for dominance, just so the current versions of the characters can permanently wipe out those versions of the characters. Maybe one or two that were halfway decent have a change of heart and remain in current continuity, or maybe one or two of the characters who are in the current continuity are secretly moles for the New 52 characters (like Animal Man...bring back the pre-New 52 version of Buddy with the MUCH better costume than the abomination he has now).

Overall, I'd just bring them back to get rid of them all over again. So maybe there's no point in doing so.

If the new 52 is still canon then you could do what Waid is doing with World's Finest. You could just set a miniseries in the past and market it as an untold tale.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    "Bring....back"?? WTF would we want to do such obscene insanity? Are we being tortured in a tenth ring of Hell?