Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sales Regrets

Default Sales Regrets

This thread is to discuss comics/collections that you've always regretted selling.

Shortly after my father passed years ago, I didn't know what to do with his copious amounts of collected toys and comics. I was young and dumb, selling the original Watchmen issues.

As years went on, I also sold my father's original Marvel Masterworks hardcovers. Now, I only have the first five Amazing Spider-Man volumes.

Sometimes, I even stressed about money and sold my Brubaker Captain America omnibus editions.

Although I regret all of these, I do plan on searching for deals at conventions to see if I can regain them.

What about you guys?

Interesting. I'm eventually going to be in the situation where I'm the person leaving that stuff... but we don't have and children, so some poor sod is going to have to deal with it. I have wondered sometimes what I should do. It'd make someone a frigging awesome prize, but for a non fan it'd probably be just a nuisance...

Hmm I've been able to find some of the rarest collected books out there, Punisher Omnibus by Ennis and Sin City Library v1 & 2 at prices that were a fair bit under cover and well below what they were selling for online. It was purely by accident too.

I sold them because honestly the market was just going bananas and the money funded other books, but I do regret not having them on shelf. I kept a ebay search for years on them and never saw them cheaper than what I had paid.

Its not so bad now because stuff is being reprinted but 3 years ago it felt like that was the only time I would ever see one of those books.

I just sold my Thor Simonson Omnibus Today. I bought it for above cover price and made a modest profit, but i'm already wondering when Marvel will reprint so i can order a copy for well below cover price. Also I sold all my Sam Keith Maxx issues a long time ago and I can't wait to get the new reprint collections when they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny77 View Post
    I just sold my Thor Simonson Omnibus Today. I bought it for above cover price and made a modest profit, but i'm already wondering when Marvel will reprint so i can order a copy for well below cover price. Also I sold all my Sam Keith Maxx issues a long time ago and I can't wait to get the new reprint collections when they come out.
    The Simonson Omni was reprinted a couple of times, though it was before release as there was such a demand for it outstripping the original printing numbers. Its being put out in TPBs now so I would suggest it may be a while before that get to it.

Fantastic Member

A few years ago I want to down size mt collection so I decided to keep my marvel and dc and sell off all my Gold Key , Charlton , Dell , Whitman , Disney , Harris , Archie , Richie Rich . took about a thousand book in to a local store (14 years back ) and got like a hundred bucks , Should have keep them see some of the prices for them now are crazy . Now I got over 5300 books and have ran out of room and want to thin down again but don't want to give them away . And really kinda nervous about it .

About 10 years ago I sold my ASM #129 (VF) and some other late-BA comics (Secret wars #1, Wolverine limited) for $330 because I needed the cash. It's easily worth twice that amount today but my biggest regret is that I dropped the most valuable books of my bronze age collection. I still own all my Claremont & Byrne X-Men & Miller DD but those are fairly common and not as valuable money-wise. They're also my favorite reads from my childhood, so I can't see moving them easily, though I have reprints/omnibuses to cover that.

Lesson: Don't sell your most valuable books (monetary or sentimental value).

Sold my Walking Dead 1 a few years back. I made a lot but it was my most valuable book.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

BANNED

sold my childhood collection. I had every flash comic up till 1981 when I quit reading and sold them.
    I had all the bronze age key books and big runs on spidey, FF, superman, avengers and so on....

I have cried several times when I was drunk over this.

I've gotten rid of a lot of comics over the year but since it is a space issue and I still have more to get rid of, I don't think it is so much regret for getting rid of them. It is more regret that I don't have the space to keep them all.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

This here Wolverine Omnibus:

I had already read all the stories presented in it long ago, and I assumed I'd like the collection.

But flipping through it, I realized I didn't really care for much of the content in the book, most of the art was crap, as it was just a random collection of Wolverine's early solo stories, which was cool back when they first came out in floppies, but reading them again after so long, they all fell really flat - especially that Wolvie & Kittie mini-series.

I did end up selling it for a very nice, hefty profit, so there's that....

*edit - oops, sorry, I mistakenly read this thread to be "regret purchases I ended up selling"

I don't think I've regretted selling anything yet.

BANNED

dead@17.jpg
    I sold this. Only 20 were ever printed, I imagine many went into the garbage. The contents are completely original and will never be reprinted. I made a four figure profit on a relatively small purchase, but I'll never have the opportunity to own another copy again.

They weren't in my possession yet, but my cousin was trying to give me a huge collection of older Italian comics and at the time I didn't want to deal with bringing them back to Canada with me. Big mistake... cheese is fleeting but comics last forever.

Oh gosh, I've sold so many comics over the last few years because I needed money and I have regrets on a lot of them. I sold the Wolverine miniseries for about $35 on eBay (I probably should have waited until the movie was closer.) I know there's a trade out and it includes a couple X-Men issues as well, including one I missed, but when will I ever get it? Who knows. Also, it's just not as cool as having the original issues I bought when they first came out.

Sad that I sold my Alias Omnibus and Ultimate Spider-Man #1 DF edition. Truthfully I wouldve sold ULTIMATE at some point but I keep coming back to Alias as its a cool read with really good art.