Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sales Regrets

My problem is that I buy everything cheap. When I then here that a collected edition is worth money, I can't help myself and I sell it. When the first Absolute Planetary was sold out, I heard you could make a lot of money off a copy. I had bought mine for $50 and sold mine for $270. That is a very good return. I have had the Ennis Punisher omni, the New Teen Titans omni and other stuff like that and sold them.

I think the Ennis book is reprinted one day. It, along with his MAX material, are the absolute best work of the Punisher and will always be in demand.

The Titans omni...you know, it had just about the worst binding of any book I have ever owned. DC has gotten better with their books and I wish they would reprint these but they did just release a TPB of the first bunch of issues and I would probably just rather have those than a badly produced omnibus.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Hmm I've been able to find some of the rarest collected books out there, Punisher Omnibus by Ennis and Sin City Library v1 & 2 at prices that were a fair bit under cover and well below what they were selling for online. It was purely by accident too.
    Which Punisher book is this? I have the oversized HC of the 12 issue mini from Marvel Knights. I had every intention to read it at the time of purchase, but now I just have no desire too.

I am currently just selling things I either never enjoyed or don't think I will read again. I should of started doing it years ago.

007 girl.

I sometimes 'regret' selling my Walking Dead #1.

I acquired a NM copy and owned it for - literally - just a few hours. But when it arrived, I got a cash offer for it and made a quick $300 profit.

I've wondered if the series will hold up if the tv series ends (which, I hope, isn't anytime soon).

Haven't regretted other books...buying and selling comes with the territory and if I change my mind about selling a book, can always buy it back.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    I sometimes 'regret' selling my Walking Dead #1.

I acquired a NM copy and owned it for - literally - just a few hours. But when it arrived, I got a cash offer for it and made a quick $300 profit.

I've wondered if the series will hold up if the tv series ends (which, I hope, isn't anytime soon).

Haven't regretted other books...buying and selling comes with the territory and if I change my mind about selling a book, can always buy it back.
    Kirkman has announced he wants to do at least 300 issues, cash cow it like hell. It got boring, then Negan was introduced but this series should have ended for me. It's great comics but they're making it only for money now.

TV series is terrible, gave up watching after season 3, boring and atrocious , I don't understand at all why it's so popular.

That first issue is quite pricey now, right?

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Kirkman has announced he wants to do at least 300 issues, cash cow it like hell. It got boring, then Negan was introduced but this series should have ended for me. It's great comics but they're making it only for money now.

TV series is terrible, gave up watching after season 3, boring and atrocious , I don't understand at all why it's so popular.

That first issue is quite pricey now, right?
    Yep, graded copies can fetch anywhere between $1,000-$2,000. But I'm uncertain this will hold up in the long run.

On the other hand, I'm glad I bought copies of Preacher before those spiked in price too.
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

BANNED

I miss my dad's books. I told him not to sell at the time but it was a time he needed money.

Still after spider-man #1.from Todd from the 90s
    cheap book but I can't bring myself to pay for it.

BANNED

Yep, graded copies can fetch anywhere between $1,000-$2,000. But I'm uncertain this will hold up in the long run.

On the other hand, I'm glad I bought copies of Preacher before those spiked in price too.
    My comic shop has for auction now a walking dead#1 cgc 9.9 $25,000 thousand.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    My comic shop has for auction now a walking dead#1 cgc 9.9 $25,000 thousand.
    Yeah...CGC 9.9s and 10.0s reach astronomic asking prices. I've seen a $2,800.00 asking price for a CGC 9.8, that's almost 90% less for what amounts to a 0.1 grading increment.

Now if I had $25k to invest in a comic (maybe when I'm in the bigger leagues)...I'd rather go for a tried and tested high grade silver-age Spidey #1 or something else that has stood the test of time. I cannot put my head on a block for a WD #1...

I am happy my mother held onto some of my comics...I found my Preacher #1 as well as Spider-Man #252, Secret Wars #8 and Hulk #102. Not huge money makers but just ones that I loved having...

Amazing Member

Biggest regret I have on trading? Very easy answer.Back in 1965,we had off main street,in downtown Fargo,a cigar store, that had a compete selection of EVERY new dc and marvel comic.A door or two over, was the swap shop, where one could either buy second hand comics,for 5 cents a book,or trade in two for one.In the fall of 65,I picked up for 5 cents,in nm shape,HULK 1.A month or two later,after reading it several times,still in the same shape,I traded it in with another book,to get a new marvel I hadnt read yet.Of course to this day, that is the ONE marvel silver age book,I dont have in ANY condition.Reprints are nice,but the original is the holy grail.I know at least one ex bud,who gave away his entire collection back around 1978,and he had a nice marvel run from 66 to 74.Some have absolutley NO regrets in the least,on what they had and lost/gave away,sold cheap.Others, it eats them up.Just makes them sick.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    Interesting. I'm eventually going to be in the situation where I'm the person leaving that stuff... but we don't have and children, so some poor sod is going to have to deal with it. I have wondered sometimes what I should do. It'd make someone a frigging awesome prize, but for a non fan it'd probably be just a nuisance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    When it comes to inheritances, it is best to leave directions regarding the splitting/sale of the collection. It is best to prescribe a defined age your benefactors must be before they can sell/trade/do anything with the collection. You could also include a "prosperity" clause, where they need to have been at the same job for at least 2 years, and making X dollars before taking ownership. It is up to the parent.
    I am going to be in that situation and have already taken the necessary steps.
    My collection which has complete Marvel Silver Age runs and complete runs of Pre- Hero Marvel/Atlas Horror and Golden Age Atlas Westerns are being left to my Son(38) and Daughter(35)in my will.
    I split the collection knowing that my Son will keep his share but my Daughter will want to sell hers.
    (She asks me if I will be disappointed if she sells them)
    My Son is getting all of the Super Hero books while my Daughter will get the Horror/Westerns/Sad Sack(complete runs), etc.
    The Non-Super Hero books have little meaning to my Son so he will not be disappointed if his Sister sells them.
    My Son helped accumulate the newer issues in the runs such as ASM, DD, F.F. X-Men, etc so adding the older issues I have been collecting since 79 will have a sentimental meaning to him.
    The hard part was trying to divide it equally so the monetary value was even, not that it will matter once I am gone but it helps me sleep at night.

I also had to divide the Action Figures and other Marvel memorabilia.

Hopefully there will not be any fighting or regrets on their part.