Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Justice Society of America #6 spoiler and discussion

Well only took about a year but we are finally out of the first story arc and I guess tying back into the series that actually came out on reasonable time, Stargirl and the lost children to which this immediately picks up from.

However, while Stargirl featured a rather large cast of characters this issue is content to really just focus on a handful which is probably for the better. I mean I think that series had to have like 30 or something teen sidekicks and a robot dog in it. So breaking it down to characters who can reasonably be a part of this cast, or have a series coming up is probably the right call.

Predominantly of the large batch of survivors we see Judy Garrick, Ladybug, and Salem. Others get screen time and some speaking lines along with some teases of where they may go but itÂ’s undeniable these three are focused on. Judy is getting a series, Ladybug is the emotional core with her parents, and Salem is a potential threat/villain. If I had any others I liked I guess John Henry Jr. because it makes me wonder if we will see him in the Superman/Steel books as part of the extended Superfamily. Action Comics already has a pretty big collection of characters so why not.

Of course we also get some Huntress focus, given how sheÂ’s here now. I think she suffers a little bit though from this story and the long delay. Because we just established her as a new time displaced character that needs a place to live only for a bunch more to show up. SheÂ’s definitely going to get more plot focus as things go on but it felt odd here.

At the very least I hope from here on out we get stories flowing out on time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

No scenes yet of Molly and Betsy meeting the immortal Ms America.
    No scenes of the Newsboy Legion meeting the Jim Harper clone.
    No scenes of Sparky meeting Jaime Reyes.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 09-05-2023 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    No scenes yet of Molly and Betsy meeting the immortal Ms America.
    No scenes of the News of Legion meeting the Jim Harper clone.
    No scenes of Sparky meeting Jaime Reyes.
    It is a two part history , see the next number solcitation text.

I hope this leads to a couple of other spin-offs to justify having this random large cast of sidekick characters.

Happy to see Johns is continuing his "dig up the dead horse so you can beat it some more" phase of his career.

Astonishing Member

More kino from johns.

Quote Originally Posted by kaijudo View Post
    happy to see johns is continuing his "dig up the dead horse so you can beat it some more" phase of his career.
    hahahahahah!!!!! Qft!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPursuits View Post
    I hope this leads to a couple of other spin-offs to justify having this random large cast of sidekick characters.
    Yeah, Young Justice Society should get it's own book. Use the same artist as Lost Children for that. Perhaps Huntress should get her own book too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

There appears to be two continuity goofs in this issue. It's implied Red Bee is dead and Michael the bee is only still alive as he was waiting for Ladybug, but that contradicts Peacemaker Tries Hard where they've shown up. And Huntress addresses Power Girl as Karen, contradicting her solo book where she's changed her name to Paige.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And Huntress addresses Power Girl as Karen, contradicting her solo book where she's changed her name to Paige.
    To be fair, I don’t know that anyone else is taking that name change very seriously. “Karen Starr” wasn’t foisted on PG, she chose it herself, based on her actual name of “Kara.” It’s the name she used in building her own successful software company, Starr Enterprises, before she sold it to Wayne Enterprises. (Though I know she stayed on after the sale, and maybe she bought it back at some point, not sure about the continuity.)

So far, from what little we’ve seen, JSA seems to be depicting her traditional powers, not psychic abilities. It may well be that JSA is just waiting out PG’s latest power/identity change and doing its own thing until she inevitably reverts to her classic status quo eventually.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 09-06-2023 at 06:08 AM.

There appears to be two continuity goofs in this issue. It's implied Red Bee is dead and Michael the bee is only still alive as he was waiting for Ladybug, but that contradicts Peacemaker Tries Hard where they've shown up. And Huntress addresses Power Girl as Karen, contradicting her solo book where she's changed her name to Paige.
    I think Peacemaker is a noncanon Black Label series so I wouldn’t really count Red Bee.

How Michael the bee is alive after nearly what a hundred is beyond me, no bee lives that freaking long.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think Peacemaker is a noncanon Black Label series so I wouldn’t really count Red Bee.

How Michael the bee is alive after nearly what a hundred is beyond me, no bee lives that freaking long.
    Yeah, I also think that the Peacemaker mini is non canon and part of the Black Label. The Brain is dead in the Doom Patrol book and in Peacemaker mini he is still alive.

And about Michael the bee being alive for son long...I dunno...bee drugs? *shrugs*

Probably one of the best issues so far, but that’s not saying much.
    Some of the new characters are interesting, but I feel Johns is making the cast unnecessarily bloated.
    He has barely focused on the regular JSA and is already changing gears to introduce even more members.
    At this point we’d need at least three books: one about the actual JSA (what fans actually expected from this), one about Young Justice Society and one where Johns can continue making Huntress the main character (possibly including the reformed villains she wants to train).

About Power Girl: it was nice to see the whole “Paige” thing ignored, but it also indicates how little editors talk.
    The PG in JSA seems like a completely different character from the one in her solo stories. Marguerite Bennet’s PG has the dumb Paige thing, while Johns’ is still Karen, but has the badly thought-out 70s origin. I wish they could have a consistent portrayal that ignores both of those elements.
    Have her still be Karen Starr, Superman’s cousin from an alternate continuity that came to Earth-0 sometime after Crisis and became a successful businesswoman.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    To be fair, I don’t know that anyone else is taking that name change very seriously. “Karen Starr” wasn’t foisted on PG, she chose it herself, based on her actual name of “Kara.” It’s the name she used in building her own successful software company, Starr Enterprises, before she sold it to Wayne Enterprises. (Though I know she stayed on after the sale, and maybe she bought it back at some point, not sure about the continuity.)

So far, from what little we’ve seen, JSA seems to be depicting her traditional powers, not psychic abilities. It may well be that JSA is just waiting out PG’s latest power/identity change and doing its own thing until she inevitably reverts to her classic status quo eventually.
    The psychic powers were already mostly removed. You need to check out the recent Power Girl Special.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    It'd be about 80 years, as Ladybug is from the 1940s. In real life though, he shouldn't have even survived World War II, right? Don't they live only for months, not years?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-06-2023 at 03:25 PM.

It'd be about 80 years, as Ladybug is from the 1940s. In real life though, he shouldn't have even survived World War II, right? Don't they live only for months, not years?
    They live for less than a month. That bee is more powerful than Superman.