Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Fire & Ice #1 Discussion/Spoilers

When I heard that both Fire and Ice were getting their own book I was really excited. I love the Justice League International and every character that were part of such team (and is one the reasons why I detested Tom King's The Human Target) and I'm glad that obscure characters like Bea and Tora are getting the spotlight for once. Fortunately, despite of some issues, writer Joanne Starer seems to get a handle of what this book should be about.

First of all, I believe Starer nails the relationship between Bea and Tora. Bea is the extrovert who wants to gather as much attention as possible while Tora is the introvert who is just happy about living a quiet life with her friend, these different personalities obviously clash but it has always been one of the most entertaining aspects of their dynamic, if I had to complaint though, is that I believe that Bea should care more about what Tora thinks and feels considering how much she suffered when the latter was "dead" (not for long of course) but is not enough to ruin what is for the most part enjoyable characterization.

The sense of humour does complement this take. The book has a very comedic feel which is very appropriate for characters who were part of the JLI, this comes a bit at the cost of a not so compelling plot but it gets the job done as a slice of life direction. Some of the side characters are also interesting, being in Smallville, I'm glad that Martha Kent plays a role here and she's just as kind as you would expect. Here comes the issue though, there's a new character that gets REALLY annoying in this book, calling Bea and Tora "Karens" just because they were arguing (and really, the only thing that I think about when I hear the name "Karen" as a complaint is how they changed Power Girl's name because of it when she shouldn't care at all about it based on her personality) while also forcing her personality and appearance everywhere, this is especially bad because she dares to complaint about Fire when she's easily much more obnoxious (and apparently the book wants us to side with her).

Natacha Bustos handles the art and is very pretty with expressive characters, semi-cartoony style and clear storytelling.

Solid beginning, hope some of the issues get fixed in the next one.

I'm ambivalent to the book but yeah the hairdresser is the only minus so far.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I am definitely looking forward to this book as a nice palate cleanse after "Human Target."

This was a really cute and fun first issue. The characerization was on-point and dynamic, the art was colorful, expressive, and flowed very well.

I'm eager to see what kind of hijinks Fire and Ice get into in Smallville as they try to fix their lives, repair their friendship, run a salon, and get along with Martha Kent who is in the spotlight.

L-Ron!

(Poor King Shark).

I want to see wild child Martha Kent.

I wonder if they'll start something between Tora and that waitress? It just felt like more than a coincidence that Tora was talking about having a normal life and love and then...bam! Cute waitress shows up. I don't think Tora's been confirmed as Bi before but I wonder if they could do that here.

They made a pretty clear spotlight on the female villain posters which makes me think they'll actually show up.

Roping in Ambush Bug is usually not a good idea...unless you want comic relief in the Suicide Squad or someone who can defeat Bat-Mite.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they'll start something between Tora and that waitress? It just felt like more than a coincidence that Tora was talking about having a normal life and love and then...bam! Cute waitress shows up. I don't think Tora's been confirmed as Bi before but I wonder if they could do that here.
    I didn't think that much about it and I don't know if I would like that since I have always loved Guy and Tora's relationship.

... Then I went back to read it and noticed that the girl actually has red hair. Sh*t, Tora has a type and this might be happening.

I've been a Fire and Ice fan for a while now so I was excited to hear about this series. Plus, I have been enjoying Starer's Sirens of the City. This first issue didn't disappoint. Nice to see both L-Ron and Martha in the supporting cast. I didn't mind Tamarind and enjoyed Bea's "I'm from Brazil" response. This has all of the makings of a cute mini.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Its a very cute looking book. The art-style is very charming and makes everyone look so adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The sense of humour does complement this take. The book has a very comedic feel which is very appropriate for characters who were part of the JLI, this comes a bit at the cost of a not so compelling plot but it gets the job done as a slice of life direction. Some of the side characters are also interesting, being in Smallville, I'm glad that Martha Kent plays a role here and she's just as kind as you would expect. Here comes the issue though, there's a new character that gets REALLY annoying in this book, calling Bea and Tora "Karens" just because they were arguing (and really, the only thing that I think about when I hear the name "Karen" as a complaint is how they changed Power Girl's name because of it when she shouldn't care at all about it based on her personality) while also forcing her personality and appearance everywhere, this is especially bad because she dares to complaint about Fire when she's easily much more obnoxious (and apparently the book wants us to side with her).
    Yeah that is very much a case of using a meme and doing it wrong. A "Karen" has a very specific definition beyond the technical sense of a woman acting obnoxiously. The book does use a good deal of meme stuff in it, like Fire doing the floss dance during her video, and mentioning parody social media services.

Amazing Member

Really loved the colors in this. Definitely makes everything pop out, the art is cute like others have said. Thought first issue was okay - I will give it another issue, not sure if it exactly has captured me long turn, but love the small feel of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Its a very cute looking book. The art-style is very charming and makes everyone look so adorable.

Yeah that is very much a case of using a meme and doing it wrong. A "Karen" has a very specific definition beyond the technical sense of a woman acting obnoxiously. The book does use a good deal of meme stuff in it, like Fire doing the floss dance during her video, and mentioning parody social media services.
    Yeah, the artist previously did Moon Girl. Needless to say, lots of cuteness in that book too... along with a big red dinosaur!

One of those social medias mentioned was Waynebook - so Bruce is supposed to be Mark Zuckerberg's counterpart in the DC universe? That was a clear reference to Facebook. I guess the Twitter becoming X thing was too recent to reference. I liked the reference to Myspace though. Again, they parody named it, but it's obvious that's what they were referring to when they ask "who uses that any more?".
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I thought the first issue was okay, but I'm a bit disappointed. Mostly because the humor didn't land with me. Backpack dance? How many years ago was this book written? And the MySpace parody joke is well over a decade old. And yeah, misuse of "Karen" is just odd. It's like the writer just wants this 19 yr old to seem obnoxious. Also, I thought they just rented a defunct hair salon - why would they decide to actually re-open it as a salon??

Also, that's some weird-ass apple pie. Maybe the colorist thought it was supposed to be rhubarb or something...

The characterization is okay, but Bea is starting to become too much like Booster Gold now. Fire & Ice aren't Blue & Gold. (L-Ron is even being Fire's Skeets)

How are they paying for the place if they don't have jobs? That's why they reopened the salon. Tora knows they need money. Bea wasn't so eager.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the artist previously did Moon Girl. Needless to say, lots of cuteness in that book too... along with a big red dinosaur!

One of those social medias mentioned was Waynebook - so Bruce is supposed to be Mark Zuckerberg's counterpart in the DC universe? That was a clear reference to Facebook. I guess the Twitter becoming X thing was too recent to reference. I liked the reference to Myspace though. Again, they parody named it, but it's obvious that's what they were referring to when they ask "who uses that any more?".
    I will point out that Bruce was never shown to be an evil reptilian alien bent on world domination, so no, I don't think that.

Extraordinary Member

How are they paying for the place if they don't have jobs? That's why they reopened the salon. Tora knows they need money. Bea wasn't so eager.
    A loan from Bruce, Karen, any number of other rich super types? That's how they usually put it.

I can think of ways people with their powers could easily make money, but that'd make too much sense. This story wants them to be in Smallville and running a salon... Okay.

Bea said she put all her money into it, I think.