Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default DC to Debut 'Joker Level' Villain in New Wonder Woman Series

https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-tom-king-joker-dc/

Eh... Feel like been there done that, and once again not using or reinterpreting any classic villains

Also, major pet peeve . Author used "Amazonian" in terms of a person , as in " an Amazonian" and not as a descriptive....

Haaate that soooooo much...lol

Meh.
    Wonder Woman already has villains that could be "on par with some of DC Comics' greatest supervillains," if only DC cared about nurturing them into greatness and actually promoting them. But no...let's push a brand new villain that nobody will care about or even remember a year from now just to satisfy the self-serving whims of the book's latest writer.

Take this idiotic line from the article: "none of her adversaries have given her the level of rivalry that the other members of DC's trinity, Batman and Superman, have found in The Joker and Lex Luthor respectively."

Well, that can only happen when a corporation puts creative effort and endless resources into building these rivalries and cementing these adversaries in the collective consciousness as worthy foes for the superhero in question. DC of course has had Joker and Luthor appear in a million cartoons, merchandise, ancillary products. The company has literally pummeled us with Joker and Luthor content to a point that cannot even compare to the feeble stuff they throw at Circe, Cheetah or Ares. And forget about anyone beyond that "tier" of Wonder Woman villain (if anything, they will be used in a comedic cartoon of a Batman-adjacent character...which admittedly is a good thing...but also a double-edged sword).

That kind of pop culture saturation of a superhero/supervillain relationship/rivalry creates expectations that shape perceptions, and next thing you know everyone believes that X or Y villain is awesome. And wouldn't you know that...next thing you know said villains keep being used, propped up and worshipped.

Also, beyond all the stupidly empty hyperbole and carefully designed soundbites, does King really believe that "Wonder Woman may finally have met a villain powerful enough to match her Amazonian strength"? Is this literal? Because she already has several villains that could go mano a mano with her strength-wise.

Oh well, the cycle continues: "blah blah blah Diana has no worthy villains blah blah blah but my new created villain will change all that blah blah blah oops, that didn't really work, did it?"
    Rinse

lather

repeat.
    Like clockwork.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 09-06-2023 at 03:03 AM.

I want to be courted! Take me out to dinner, pull out my chair, tell me I'm pretty. Don't throw a pork chop at me and think we're going to hop in the sack!

If they wanted to court us, something as simple as naming Lizzie Lyta instead, or reinvigorating an old adversary would have been the way to go. Additionally, not using the term "Amazonian" would have been a great start. I hate that too.

This is so presumptuous, lol. They've been trying to give her a Joker/Luthor-level villain for decades and it never works. Just let it go!

God, they have got to stop with this narrative. No brand new character will ever become Diana's arch nemesis in the way that Joker or Luthor are to their respective heroes. Ever. Comic books are far too cyclical and nostalgic for that to happen.

The fact that it's a male character also irks me probably more than it should. You're telling me the one major comic series featuring a female lead needs a male villain to be her arch? Stfu.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This is the one aspect of King's plans that really irks me. She already HAS a Joker-level villain. It's Cheetah. Sure, she's been friends with Diana from time to time but she has been an ongoing threat for decades, always a thorn in Diana's side. She can usually give Diana a good physical confrontation while also pulling at Diana's heart-strings over having to take down a former friend. When a new Legion of Doom forms, Cheetah is usually picked as the Wonder-rogue alongside other arch-nemeses like Luthor, Joker, Black Manta, and Sinestro. Sure, it can be argued that Cheetah hasn't done as much as Joker but that's largely because Batman has many more comics coming out per month than Wonder Woman does. Plus, we've heard this new arch-nemesis talk before about Wonder Woman. Devastation, Genocide, First Born, & even Grail(who I love) were presented as much but none of them stuck around or are used as often as Cheetah is.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Folks, let's not riled by up a CBR clickbait article.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-tom-king-joker-dc/

Eh... Feel like been there done that, and once again not using or reinterpreting any classic villains

Also, major pet peeve . Author used "Amazonian" in terms of a person , as in " an Amazonian" and not as a descriptive....

Haaate that soooooo much...lol
    I don’t get the issue with using Amazonian that way. Wouldn’t be any difference from me saying I’m a Brazilian. It’s just an indication of origin/nationality in the context it was used.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don’t get the issue with using Amazonian that way. Wouldn’t be any difference from me saying I’m a Brazilian. It’s just an indication of origin/nationality in the context it was used.
    I guess it's because Amazonas's country would be Themiscyra. So, Amazonian as demonym would be wrong.

That said, USA people are called Americans. So, Amazonian could be the way to call Themiscyra people.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-06-2023 at 09:44 AM.

Shouldn't be surprised.

Joker level but locked away for 20 years on Themyscira? Ok lol

Extraordinary Member

Soooooo...I take it that no matter how many times they try and revamp Cheetah nothing's taking, huh? Such a shame. The character's so brilliantly designed.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Soooooo...I take it that no matter how many times they try and revamp Cheetah nothing's taking, huh? Such a shame. The character's so brilliantly designed.
    They keep wanting to make her more Catwoman grey area. Should've stuck with more Demona (Gargoyles)

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    At least do a Big Bad Circe storyline again if you don't want to double down on Cheetah as Diana's Archenemsis.

Better than another OC male villain.

I feel like Cheetah still has a long way to go before she's considered Diana's Joker.