Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Who said Lizzy talking to the Sovereign is the end of the story?
    It pretty much literally is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    All we said here was Sovereign being really old is an important part of the story, Siege. Great Hera.
    And all I said was pointing out that he's back to being an old man again by the time Lizzy is talking to him, potentially indicating that body swaps or youth restoration ideas that are being thrown around may not be on the table? Not even definitively.

Suffering Sappho....

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    This a universe where superheroes were fighting in World War 2 and the protagonist of the story is an immortal flying super-lady created by the Greek gods. Messing with "real" history shouldn't be a concern. And framing it within the real world is what makes it bold, unique, and interesting.

The whole idea of a "secret king of America" is just a comic book-ified statement on how the US government has served the same people since its conception and American democracy only gives citizens the illusion of power. Which is VERY relevant right now.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Allegory, however heavy- or light-handed, is the stuff of comic books. It’s very relevant for Wonder Woman to be in this space, given her conception as a character, and play with comic book-y, quasi-realness of history and the story.

Even the parallels of the supposed “best-ness” and “ideal-ness” of U.S. democracy (despite its limitations, designed bigotry, failures and horrific history) plays out here in comparison and contrast to Themyscira.

We will see what Tom King does with the story. But conceptually, the idea of a king of america just highlights what is different about the real world, rather than highlighting the issues in the real world. To me, the causes for our issues, and the ways in which we deal with them, should be highlighted.

What these heroes do is what should be different.

Exploit history, rather than change it

Spectacular Member

I know it's only the first issue... but the whole "Lasso of Lies" and his appearance and apparent immortality makes me think The Sovereign could easily have been (or may turn out to be) The Duke of Deception. Anyone else make that connection or am I just grasping at golden age straws here?

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I know it's only the first issue... but the whole "Lasso of Lies" and his appearance and apparent immortality makes me think The Sovereign could easily have been (or may turn out to be) The Duke of Deception. Anyone else make that connection or am I just grasping at golden age straws here?
    No, I think so too. Someone with a magic lasso that fools reality could certainly make it seem like America was always a monarchy.

I doubt Sovereign himself is the Duke, but it would be cool of the Lasso was somehow connected to him.