Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #15 - Review/Spoilers

One of the things I like about Fall of X is how quickly things are moving. Plot points are set up and paid off soon after. Questions are answered and the answers prompt brand new questions. The final page reveal is crazy.

We open with the preview pages, Selene devouring the Orchis soldiers that fled Krakoa when they saw Xavier's psychic projection of monsters last issue. She figures out it's him and Shaw is confident they can deal with Xavier. As Shaw's ship approaches Krakoa we see that there are Stark Sentinels keeping watch around the perimeter of the island. The Orchis soldiers now have psi-blockers and we learn that Shaw built them. He says he also built Krakoa and is going to sell its parts. Selene tells the soldiers they are to secure the External Gate because she wants it. Selene, in narration, views Xavier as just another dramatic mortal man, grieving over the "dead" mutants. She wonders if she should burst his bubble of grief by telling him that the mutants were meant to go to Mars and that Orchis has no idea where they are either.

Nighttime in the desert, Exodus uses telekinesis to gather ambient water vapor to create a small pool for the people to drink from. They must ration it though as it takes a lot of effort to do this and they only do it at night to conserve water. They also only travel at night for the same reason. Exodus speaks of a promised land that he saw in a vision but Destiny is unsure if he actually saw anything. They talk for a bit about Hope and what her name means to the people.

Data page: An entry in Destiny's Diary of the Krakoan Diaspora, a list describing how they are surviving. Exodus and Hope do the water vapor thing. A few generative mutants provide just enough food for starvation rationing portions. For shelter, telekinetics and other matter-manipulators carve out caves from the sand. Skin-shedders and others provide pseudo-fabrics for materials. Jumbo Carnation creates workshops and designs simple garments. Swift mutants patrol ahead as security. (I'm glad to read that not all of the mutants have useless powers as Hope proclaimed last issue.)

While on patrol, young Kafka the winged mutant spots Wolverine attacking Mother Righteous. It turns its attention on Kafka who speeds back to the others warning them that Mr. Logan is coming. More of these Wolverine's pop up out of the sand and start attacking the mutants. Exodus lifts the Wolverine's into the air and basically makes them implode in an impressive power moment. Mother Righteous *major eye roll* says Kafka saved her and that her magic doesn't work too well in this desert. Destiny recognizes her voice and reminds the others that MR was always a hole, a gap, in her visions. She believes MR has a huge secret. MR says she's right and her secret is that she's a mutant. She lies and says she heard "baldy"'s voice and next thing she knew she ended up in the desert too. This gives the others hope that maybe the rest of the Five are indeed somewhere in the desert. Exodus asks if MR is a mutant why was she unknown to them?

Back at Krakoa we see the Orchis soldiers now patrolling the External Gate. It's also nighttime here. Selene's narration tells us that she wants to bring her fellow Externals back but it'll take time to untangle A's spell. She says once it is secured she can accomplish it and she admits to being a little sentimental. "Across twenty thousand years, the few faces who stick around do get a few feelings attached." Xavier approaches the Gate and the Orchis soldiers, noting their psi-blockers. Earlier Shaw warned them that Xavier also has TK now. They raise their guns, hesitate for a moment, then start shooting at him.

The next morning we see their dead bodies near the Gate. It's not pretty. Xavier is chilling on the beach looking quite handsome I must say.

Mother Righteous leads the refugees and they arrive at her home, lush with greenery and surrounded by water. Hope and Exodus recognize it immediately as Atlantic Krakoa. Everyone is happy as they step onto the island but Exodus warns them that their testing may not be over. Exodus says that the oasis is in the desert, and the desert is a place of testing and revelation. He tells them that the testing has barely begun and as he speaks we see one of the Wolverine's smiling, claws out, excited, looking up at someone.

Exodus: The Logans are dogs. Wild animals in the wasteland, but they are far from the greatest threat. Do not forget...

I thought we would be seeing the Krakoans marching through the desert for several issues so I'm glad the story is moving swiftly and they've reached Atlantic Krakoa. How is it that Hope can sense mutant abilities in MR? What in the world is Apocalypse doing there, why does he have Phoenix and what's up with the Logans? Next issue is going to be very interesting.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Didn't MR trap Legion in Sons of X ? That's probably what Hope in sensing.
    I'm quite annoyed by the Apocalypse probable fake out XD
    I also wish there was a tiny bit of ambiguity in MR's character. We know she's evil but it's just frustrating to see everybody follow her.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was ok. 7/10

About time Xavier the Baldhead did something. Sheesh.

Not sure what's going on with -:A:- and him having Phoenix Jean on a Leash etc. More Mother Righteous BS? *sigh* Fine I guess.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

As I will not get my comics for another 2 weeks, would someone like to share the mutants who appeared that were not shown during FoX yet and where they are at?

This so I can keep the list on this forum up-to-date.

Thanks a lot!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    As I will not get my comics for another 2 weeks, would someone like to share the mutants who appeared that were not shown during FoX yet and where they are at?

This so I can keep the list on this forum up-to-date.

Thanks a lot!
    I think the only ones named were Kafka and Jumbo. I didn't recognize any of the others in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    This was ok. 7/10

About time Xavier the Baldhead did something. Sheesh.

Not sure what's going on with -:A:- and him having Phoenix Jean on a Leash etc. More Mother Righteous BS? *sigh* Fine I guess.
    My sentiments exactly.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    How is it that Hope can sense mutant abilities in MR? What in the world is Apocalypse doing there, why does he have Phoenix and what's up with the Logans? Next issue is going to be very interesting.
    I think she's sensing their own mutant abilities. They are all trapped inside one of Mother Righteous' spheres, so Hope senses a lot of gifts but microscopic.

Fantastic Member

I REALLY hope that Exodus and Hope don't automatically trust MR she's definitely up to no good

Agree with most folks, was definitely a serviceable issue and I’m liking Gillen’s Exodus. I’m kinda surprised Hope is taking such a backseat and letting Exodus do all the big stuff and merely coping him after.

Destiny’s reaction to MR showing up was the same of mine. Honestly been tired of her since she was revealed to be 100% evil in SoS. I think she worked better in those early issues of LoX as a wildcard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Agree with most folks, was definitely a serviceable issue and I’m liking Gillen’s Exodus. I’m kinda surprised Hope is taking such a backseat and letting Exodus do all the big stuff and merely coping him after.

Destiny’s reaction to MR showing up was the same of mine. Honestly been tired of her since she was revealed to be 100% evil in SoS. I think she worked better in those early issues of LoX as a wildcard.
    At this point I hope Apocalypse is there to take Mother Righteous out if that's indeed him and not some magical conjuring. Perhaps he was tracking her magically and figured out what she was up to.

Did Xavier personnaly trimmed brushed and shaved his beard by tk ?

At this point I hope Apocalypse is there to take Mother Righteous out if that's indeed him and not some magical conjuring. Perhaps he was tracking her magically and figured out what she was up to.
    I can see that happening. "Revealing" her true nature? His Logans were attacking her after all. It would also make sense for Gillen to wrap up her story, since he has taken over as her main writer.

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

I'm beginning to wonder if MR has the opposite mutant gift as Mordred did in Excalibur/KoX/BB:CB. His gift apparently made everyone want to fight him, he brought out annoyance and anger in people. I wonder if MR is really a mutant, is her gift one of charisma, where people just like her immediately. A sort of twist on Gambit and Longshot's charm. It would certainly go far in explaining how everyone seems to just accept her and follow her, as on the page she lacks that spark the characters are seeing.

Exodus's journey is really fascinating to me, I always enjoy a zealot so to see him going through this transformation is my main joy in the book presently.

I love Selene and Shaw.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Jean is currently a discorporated psychic sentience travelling through time, Logan aka Hellverine is on the run, Revelation is attending to Arakko business.
    My guess is these characters are MR/magic/constructed and not the real characters to get the mutants to say "Thank You" and become indebted to her someway, somehow. Her schtick is really tedious...time to reveal what exactly she's on about. Gillenister is really milking her for all he's worth.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-06-2023 at 08:43 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I hope the Selene/Externals subplot is going somewhere. I wonder if she knows Candra is alive.