Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hickman's contribution to Full Circle did not convince me if only because it felt more dominated by Nick Fury. I also feel like he's too into his own complex storylines and worldbuilding for Spidey.
    All very fair criticisms. I won't lie, I'm not a huge Hickman fan so I've only read a few things of his, but what I've read I've enjoyed overall. I do feel he can focus on the characters and not just his world-building when it comes down to it, but I will agree that his complex narratives/worlds do tend to come first from what I've seen. I wasn't a huge fan of Full Circle in general but I really loved the absurd humor especially in Hickman's story, but I recognize that's just a thing of taste. I think you make plenty of good reasons that Hickman may not be a good fit as well.

Edit: Maybe pair him with another writer who handles the actual scripts/dialogue? Have him be a big ideas guy while someone else makes those ideas realistic in a fun comic script format.
    Last edited by Venomsaurus; 09-06-2023 at 03:09 PM.

I only read Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run and it was incredible. But I think now he really likes to do big epic storylines, so I don't know what he can do with Spider-Man, or if he's interested in doing something with the character.

Astonishing Member

Christopher Yost and Chip Zdarsky never did TASM. Yost is so underrated: Scarlet Spider, Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team-Up and New Warriors. Chip Zdarsky has written some great Spider-Man stories.

I love Grant Morrison especially his 2006-2013 Batman run. That was fucking amazing. Having worked on the big two, wish he got the big three.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Ed Brubaker at one point wanted to do a run on Amazing Spider-Man, but it never happened.
    Missed opportunity there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    Damn is moore like really bad, I'm only familiar with watchmen from him that's really the extent of my knowledge.
    No. Dc Chose him to write the closing chapter to the Pre-Crisis Superman.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I wanted Aaron to write a run back in the day (before he even did "Astonishing"), but as his tenure went on, I went neutral bordering on negative. Jane Foster was one thing and I think the hook worked, but then his Avengers and stuff like "Phoenix, Thor's mom" seem to indicate some propensity to always mess with the core fundamentals and I guess we've had enough of that already.

I think Scott Lobdell, maybe, could've written a good Spidey. His Operation Zero Tolerance tie-in drawn by Madureira was great, and could only make me think I wish I was reading that Spider-Man instead of Lex Osborn talking down Jonah every month. But writing special appearances is one thing, and you can always hit Spidey's best notes when you do that - I think Zdarsky is a prime example of it. Still, I think it'd have been worth a try to let him write it for a while.

Fabian Nicieza too. I think he nailed both Peter and Ben, and a limited series he had during Mackie's relaunch (I forget the title unfortunately) came highly recommended from Glenn Greenberg and I agree with his notes. His voice for Peter as Spidey trying to rattle his enemies is perfect, and finds a perfect balance between cartoony and to-the-point. Humor's just become more and more overt within comics, so I miss when Spidey's quips were more 'focused' like that.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Missed opportunity there.

Would have been awesome to see his ideas.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Fraction is the one I really would have wanted, his voice is so unique and I would have loved to see him write it with Aja on art.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I love Grant Morrison especially his 2006-2013 Batman run. That was fucking amazing. Having worked on the big two, wish he got the big three.
    This would be my pick. Imagine what fun it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Ed Brubaker at one point wanted to do a run on Amazing Spider-Man, but it never happened.
    Probably be too gritty. Marvel tried to do his kind of stuff with Web during the first few issues, and I thought it was only fair quality. Spider-Man needs a voice that is a good balance between being grounded and still having lots of optimism.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

I think Fabian Nicieza‘s (art could very well be Darrick Robertson, but I don’t have the issues on hand) ‘Final Adventure’ miniseries is one of the most underrated Spidey stories out there. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more love, I guess since the consequences of it were undone fairly soon after. Unique villain, compelling premise, snappy dialogue, great art… I recommend trying to find it if you’ve never read it.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I wanted Aaron to write a run back in the day (before he even did "Astonishing"), but as his tenure went on, I went neutral bordering on negative. Jane Foster was one thing and I think the hook worked, but then his Avengers and stuff like "Phoenix, Thor's mom" seem to indicate some propensity to always mess with the core fundamentals and I guess we've had enough of that already.

I think Scott Lobdell, maybe, could've written a good Spidey. His Operation Zero Tolerance tie-in drawn by Madureira was great, and could only make me think I wish I was reading that Spider-Man instead of Lex Osborn talking down Jonah every month. But writing special appearances is one thing, and you can always hit Spidey's best notes when you do that - I think Zdarsky is a prime example of it. Still, I think it'd have been worth a try to let him write it for a while.

Fabian Nicieza too. I think he nailed both Peter and Ben, and a limited series he had during Mackie's relaunch (I forget the title unfortunately) came highly recommended from Glenn Greenberg and I agree with his notes. His voice for Peter as Spidey trying to rattle his enemies is perfect, and finds a perfect balance between cartoony and to-the-point. Humor's just become more and more overt within comics, so I miss when Spidey's quips were more 'focused' like that.
    The more Aaron wrote Spidey the more he just became that annoying guy who makes bad jokes.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Yeah - like every one else, Fraction is a huge missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    I've never read the X-Men but I know of Chris Claremont from people praising him. I don't think he ever did anything with Spider-man. Given his reputation with the X-Men I wonder what he would have done with Spider-man
    Dude, you should definitely look into Marvel Team-Up from Claremont! Believe me, you won't regret it...

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-07-2023 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Did Larry Hama ever do any Spider-man run? I know he did a few limited series, but I think those were almost all Venom stuff.

I also can't recall anything from Alan Davis, John Byrne, or Frank Miller.

Then there's Garth Ennis but I don't think any of would WANT him to do anything with Spider-man.

I know the internet likes treating him as a joke, but Rob Liefeld never had a run on Spidey either and he seemed to enjoy and respect the characters. He did do some fun stuff with them during crossovers.