Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Did Larry Hama ever do any Spider-man run? I know he did a few limited series, but I think those were almost all Venom stuff.

I also can't recall anything from Alan Davis, John Byrne, or Frank Miller.

Then there's Garth Ennis but I don't think any of would WANT him to do anything with Spider-man.

I know the internet likes treating him as a joke, but Rob Liefeld never had a run on Spidey either and he seemed to enjoy and respect the characters. He did do some fun stuff with them during crossovers.
    Garth ennis would try to throw him in crossed lol, hell nmo.

Jurgens, though I guess he had a significant (if short) run on Spider-Ben.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Jurgens, though I guess he had a significant (if short) run on Spider-Ben.
    I’d call his Sensational run fairly significant. While it was short, it established a pretty definitive portrayal of Ben Reilly (ironic, since he loathed writing Ben and quit because editorial kept delaying restoring Peter to the role).

Walt Simonson used Peter in that Fantastic Four story, but I don't think he did much with him otherwise. Louise Simonson was responsible for some significant stories in the run-up to the marriage era.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Dude, you should definitely look into Marvel Team-Up from Claremont! Believe me, you won't regret it...

They should have a Halloween issue where MJ cosplays Sonja just for the heck of it .

Miller did the art on a few issues of the original Spectacular Spider-Man series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Claremont was on Marvel Team-Up. Wrote quite a few Spider-Man stories there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I strongly recommend it.

It is weird to have a context in which Chris Claremont is an underrated Marvel writer, since his X-Men work is so legendary, but he is an underrated Spider-Man writer.

Definite lost opportunity.

The same applies to Matt Fraction, who did write an excellent annual.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Dude, you should definitely look into Marvel Team-Up from Claremont! Believe me, you won't regret it...

So I went comixology and got a few issues and yes! I loved the four issues I got. I was lucky in that I picked out 82-85 and it was a complete story with him teaming up with Black Widow and Nick Fury and Master of Kong Fu. Really enjoyable story.

I really want that Red Sonja one. I love Red Sonja comics and would like to see the whole connection with MJ there..

Did Larry Hama ever do any Spider-man run? I know he did a few limited series, but I think those were almost all Venom stuff.

Then there's Garth Ennis but I don't think any of would WANT him to do anything with Spider-man.

I know the internet likes treating him as a joke, but Rob Liefeld never had a run on Spidey either and he seemed to enjoy and respect the characters. He did do some fun stuff with them during crossovers.
    John Byrne was part of the team that relaunched Amazing Spider-man with volume 2. I don't remember if he just did art or if he was involved in plotting as well.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    So I went comixology and got a few issues and yes! I loved the four issues I got. I was lucky in that I picked out 82-85 and it was a complete story with him teaming up with Black Widow and Nick Fury and Master of Kong Fu. Really enjoyable story.

I really want that Red Sonja one. I love Red Sonja comics and would like to see the whole connection with MJ there..

John Byrne was part of the team that relaunched Amazing Spider-man with volume 2. I don't remember if he just did art or if he was involved in plotting as well.
    Unless I’m mistaken because of rights issues, you’d have to be back issue hunting to read that Red Sonja MTU issue unfortunately

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Unless I’m mistaken because of rights issues, you’d have to be back issue hunting to read that Red Sonja MTU issue unfortunately
    If you can find the Spider-Man/Red Sonja miniseries crossover in TPB, the MTU issue is included there as well.

Also, for those mentioning Garth Ennis, he did do the first three issues of Spider-Man: Tangled Web that introduced an even worse bully than Flash Thompson ever was, Carl King, as a new foe called the Thousand, made up of a swarm of a thousand spiders united by King's diabolically twisted psyche after King ate the spider that bit Peter Parker in hopes of becoming spider-powered himself. For what it was worth, Ennis did do a pretty solid portrayal of Peter's character, at least from what I remember reading.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’d call his Sensational run fairly significant. While it was short, it established a pretty definitive portrayal of Ben Reilly (ironic, since he loathed writing Ben and quit because editorial kept delaying restoring Peter to the role).
    Still, it's a shame that he never got to write Peter.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Still, it's a shame that he never got to write Peter.
    He did write Peter, if briefly, during a 2-issue (I think?) Thor crossover when he had that book, around the time of Mackie's relaunch.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

I also can't recall anything from John Byrne,
    I wish I could forget Spider-Man: Chapter One. And the Vol. 2 relaunch.

(Poor Mackie was very sick at the time in addition to what seemed like burn out.)

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    His Sensational run is really good and does an excellent job defining Ben Reilly's character. I was stunned to learn years after reading that he hated Ben.

Neither of my two answers are natural fits for the character, but I would love to see Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman write Spidey. Both are probably still possible.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How much Spidey stuff did Roy Thomas do?
    Quite a bit - my understanding is that he ghost-wrote the Spider-Man newspaper strip for years for Stan Lee.

As far as big-name Marvel creators who never really wrote Spider-Man, Steve Englehart is a big one. Given that he wrote for basically every other big name at the company, maybe he just didn't really have a feel for the character.

I really enjoyed Englehart's West Coast Avengers. I never got into the main Avengers book but that one I did.