Extraordinary Member

Default Big Barda vs She-Hulk

Big Barda, the post-crisis incarnation

vs.

She-Hulk

This is a purely melee confrontation.

who wins?

A new God, known for being highly trained and physically powerful, vs female Hulk with less strength, no formal training, and throws things at her cousin when she's angry and he's done nothing wrong...
    Honestly, all I know about She-Hulk comes from the crappy show. Based on that alone, Barda takes it with no real difficulty.

Extraordinary Member

I think Barda is closer to Wonder Woman in terms of strength than She-Hulk is to Hulk. And she's probably got the edge in experience too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    A new God, known for being highly trained and physically powerful, vs female Hulk with less strength, no formal training, and throws things at her cousin when she's angry and he's done nothing wrong...
    Honestly, all I know about She-Hulk comes from the crappy show. Based on that alone, Barda takes it with no real difficulty.
    Why would you base She-Hulk on the MCU show when according to the rules we default to the original version, which is the comic version? Then comic version is much stronger, more reasonable and a skilled and experience super heroine. So... yeah.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Jen is somewhere close to Class 100 in strength (if not there) and has been for a long time. I would say she's probably in the same area as Barda, unless I'm missing some feats or Jen has been seriously downgraded of late.

On the other hand, I would say that despite Jen being presented as decently skilled, Barda definitely has the edge here.

...also, if it's 'purely melee' we're talking about, that doesn't discount Barda clobbering Jen over the head with the Mega-rod. Further advantage to the New God.

I would give this one to Barda, but it's a real fight. She's not just walking away with a bloody nose.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Jen is somewhere close to Class 100 in strength (if not there) and has been for a long time. I would say she's probably in the same area as Barda, unless I'm missing some feats or Jen has been seriously downgraded of late.

On the other hand, I would say that despite Jen being presented as decently skilled, Barda definitely has the edge here.

...also, if it's 'purely melee' we're talking about, that doesn't discount Barda clobbering Jen over the head with the Mega-rod. Further advantage to the New God.

I would give this one to Barda, but it's a real fight. She's not just walking away with a bloody nose.
    Ok, then Jen's had a decent upgrade since the last time I looked. I've always seen her listed as class 75-80, and generally not quite up there.

But I can buy that she's gotten closer to class 100 over the years.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Ok, then Jen's had a decent upgrade since the last time I looked. I've always seen her listed as class 75-80, and generally not quite up there.

But I can buy that she's gotten closer to class 100 over the years.
    She certainly started even lower than that, and yeah, at one point was in Grimm’s class. But there were a variety of upgrades (including her finding out that if she lifted weights in human form, the increase in strength transferred over proportionally) and there was a period where she was convincingly contesting Hercules in strength and so forth.

I don’t recall her being downgraded, and recently in the Avengers I remember her having a rage filled form similar to regular Hulk that was around Thor’s strength when she was enraged.

She bounces around, but I figure she’s close enough to Class 100, if not there, that she can at least fight with them these days.

Maybe someone who’s more familiar with her can weigh in on that.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    She certainly started even lower than that, and yeah, at one point was in Grimm’s class. But there were a variety of upgrades (including her finding out that if she lifted weights in human form, the increase in strength transferred over proportionally) and there was a period where she was convincingly contesting Hercules in strength and so forth.

I don’t recall her being downgraded, and recently in the Avengers I remember her having a rage filled form similar to regular Hulk that was around Thor’s strength when she was enraged.

She bounces around, but I figure she’s close enough to Class 100, if not there, that she can at least fight with them these days.

Maybe someone who’s more familiar with her can weigh in on that.
    In regards to the more Hulked out rage form, she eventually reverted to her regular She-Hulk form. Because (I suspect) fans hated the rage form and the reasoning behind it.

Not sure how much that changed her strength, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    In regards to the more Hulked out rage form, she eventually reverted to her regular She-Hulk form. Because (I suspect) fans hated the rage form and the reasoning behind it.

Not sure how much that changed her strength, if at all.
    There are two competing theories for how superhuman strength should look in superhero comics:

1. Characters with superhuman strength should have superhumanly large muscles in direct proportion to their strength.

2. Characters with superhuman strength don't need large muscles because their strength is superhuman and not based on the size of their muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    There are two competing theories for how superhuman strength should look in superhero comics:

1. Characters with superhuman strength should have superhumanly large muscles in direct proportion to their strength.

2. Characters with superhuman strength don't need large muscles because their strength is superhuman and not based on the size of their muscles.
    1. Nobody, not even the bulkiest Hulk, is muscular enough that his feats of strength, like cracking continents with his strength or lifting billions of tons, are the least bit believable.

2. Spider-Man.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Baby Kal-el, pre Crisis, was a beast and had the shape of a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post

I'm inclined to go with #2.

Obviously, there is some relationship between muscle size and strength. A real world example -- a distinction can be made between hypertrophy and strength and/or power. Power lifters, or Olympic weight lifters, especially in the lower weight classes, are not muscularly enormous in comparison to body builders, for example. Conversely, some body builders, although muscularly enormous, may not necessarily be as strong as their power lifting contemporaries. Genetics, diet and training, all play a role in determining actual muscle size, relative speed, strength, etc.

In terms of my personal taste on this subject, muscle size can be played with given the artist. Hard emphasis from the standpoint of number 1 listed above is just silly because, for example, some of these folks are planetary level in strength. I just think it's silly to get hung up on making a direct correlation between muscle size and actual level of strength in comparison to what some of these characters are actually doing.
    Last edited by Cronus; 09-15-2023 at 01:04 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.