Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Favorite Hero by Year of Debut (1935-2023) -- Anything Else?

OK this is your chance to add anything to the mix. Did I miss anyone in my lists of superheroes? Was there anyone only mentioned as part of a team or duo that you'd like to carve out into their own entry? Anything else? Any suggestions that are seconded will be added to the next (or a future) round.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Harley, Jessica Cruz, and Simon Baz are the most obvious omissions that come to mind for me, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

This is going to take some time . . .

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'd like to see Huntress(Helena Wayne Earth Two) as an option.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

A good chunk of Batman of All Nations/Club of Heroes/Batman, Incorporated; the Global Guardians; Outsiders; Infinity Inc.; the Legion of Super-Heroes are missing . . . among many, many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'd like to see Huntress(Helena Wayne Earth Two) as an option.
    I'll definitely second that.

Retired

Peter Porkchops (Pig-Iron) 1947, created by Otto Feuer. First winning a feature in LEADING COMICS, the Porcine Powerhouse gained his own comic, PETER PORKCHOPS, which ran for 62 issues, ending in 1960. He was revived for CAPTAIN CARROT'S AMAZING ZOO CREW in 1982, assuming the super-hero identity of Pig-Iron, on Earth-C.

Johnny Thunder (John Tane) 1948, created by Bob Kanigher and Alex Toth. A school teacher who promised his mother he'd not use guns, John Tane assumed the identity of Johnny Thunder to fight crime in the Old West. He had a thirteen year run--first in ALL-AMERICAN COMICS [WESTERN] and then in ALL STAR WESTERN, coming to the end of the trail in 1961.

Star Hawkins 1960, created by John Broome and Mike Sekowsky. A detective in the 21st century, Hawkins appeared in STRANGE ADVENTURES, off and on, until 1966. With all the charm of Jim Rockford, Star was ably assisted by his girl friday, Ilda (Robot F2324).

Sea Devils 1960, created by Bob Kanigher and Russ Heath. A team of undersea adventurers, the Sea Devils steadily morphed into an off-brand undersea Fantastic Four, in their weird and wooly fantasy saga. They even had their own ersatz Sub-Mariner, in the person of Man-Fish (Juan Vallambrosa). SEA DEVILS ran for 35 issues over a seven year period, ending in 1967.

Super-Hip (Tadwallader Jucefrute) 1965, created by Arnold Drake and Bob Oksner. Although National Periodicals never owned the rights to Bob Hope, when he appeared in THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE, I believe they owned the rights to Super-Hip, given he's appeared in other titles--including at the wedding of Rita Farr and Steve Dayton, in DOOM PATROL. A square at Benedict Arnold High School, Tad becomes the groovy Super-Hip when he gets angry. He only had a few years in Bob's comic, but he continues to pop up in various other books.

Deadman (Boston Brand) 1967, created by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino. First appearing in STRANGE ADVENTURES 205 (October 1967), although he only had a 12 issue run in that title, Boston has haunted the comic book racks ever since.

Rima, the Jungle Girl, 1904 in GREEN MANSIONS by William Henry Hudson, 1974 in the RIMA, THE JUNGLE GIRL comic. Bob Kanigher, Joe Kubert and Nestor Redondo were responsible for creating most of her seven issue comic book run, which was partly based on GREEN MANSIONS. A cartoon version of Rima appeared on SUPER FRIENDS. Rima also participated in FIRST WAVE issues 4 - 6 (2010 - 2011).

Star Hunters 1977, created by David Michelinie and Rich Buckler. In the near future, Donovan Flint leads a crew of Star Hunters on a space mission for the Earth-based Corporation to find the Somaii world. After making their debut in DC SUPER-STARS 16 (October 1977), the STAR HUNTERS immediatly got their own title, which lasted for seven issues.

Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, (Amy Winston) 1983, created by Dan Mishkin, Gary Cohn and Ernie Colón. AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD, had an initial 12 issue limited series run, but held other titles after that and has had several animated incarnations.

'Mazing Man (Sigfried Horatio Hunch III) 1986, created by Bob Rozakis and Stephen DeStefano. Having a large comic book collection, 'Mazing believes himself to be his neighbourhood's super-hero and dresses accordingly. His best friend is a comic book writer named Denton, who looks like a dog but is human. And there were several other characters featured in 'MAZING MAN, which lasted for twelve issues plus three 'MAZING MAN SPECIAL issues.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 09-07-2023 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Peter Porkchops (Pig-Iron) 1947, created by Otto Feuer. First winning a feature in LEADING COMICS, the Porcine Powerhouse gained his own comic, PETER PORKCHOPS, which ran for 62 issues, ending in 1960. He was revived for CAPTAIN CARROT'S AMAZING ZOO CREW in 1982, assuming the super-hero identity of Pig-Iron, on Earth-C.

Johnny Thunder (John Tane) 1948, created by Bob Kanigher and Alex Toth. A school teacher who promised his mother he'd not use guns, John Tane assumed the identity of Johnny Thunder to fight crime in the Old West. He had a thirteen year run--first in ALL-AMERICAN COMICS [WESTERN] and then in ALL STAR WESTERN, coming to the end of the trail in 1961.

Star Hawkins 1960, created by John Broome and Mike Sekowsky. A detective in the 21st century, Hawkins appeared in STRANGE ADVENTURES, off and on, until 1966. With all the charm of Jim Rockford, Star was ably assisted by his girl friday, Ilda (Robot F2324).

Sea Devils 1960, created by Bob Kanigher and Russ Heath. A team of undersea adventurers, the Sea Devils steadily morphed into an off-brand undersea Fantastic Four, in their weird and wooly fantasy saga. They even had their own ersatz Sub-Mariner, in the person of Man-Fish (Juan Vallambrosa). SEA DEVILS ran for 35 issues over a seven year period, ending in 1967.

Super-Hip (Tadwallader Jucefrute) 1965, created by Arnold Drake and Bob Oksner. Although National Periodicals never owned the rights to Bob Hope, when he appeared in THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE, I believe they owned the rights to Super-Hip, given he's appeared in other titles--including at the wedding of Rita Farr and Steve Dayton, in DOOM PATROL. A square at Benedict Arnold High School, Tad becomes the groovy Super-Hip when he gets angry. He only had a few years in Bob's comic, but he continues to pop up in various other books.

Deadman (Boston Brand) 1967, created by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino. First appearing in STRANGE ADVENTURES 205 (October 1967), although he only had a 12 issue run in that title, Boston has haunted the comic book racks ever since.

Rima, the Jungle Girl, 1904 in GREEN MANSIONS by William Henry Hudson, 1974 in the RIMA, THE JUNGLE GIRL comic. Bob Kanigher, Joe Kubert and Nestor Redondo were responsible for creating most of her seven issue comic book run, which was partly based on GREEN MANSIONS. A cartoon version of Rima appeared on SUPER FRIENDS. Rima also participated in FIRST WAVE issues 4 - 6 (2010 - 2011).

Star Hunters 1977, created by David Michelinie and Rich Buckler. In the near future, Donovan Flint leads a crew of Star Hunters on a space mission for the Earth-based Corporation to find the Somaii world. After making their debut in DC SUPER-STARS 16 (October 1977), the STAR HUNTERS immediatly got their own title, which lasted for seven issues.

Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, (Amy Winston) 1983, created by Dan Mishkin, Gary Cohn and Ernie Colón. AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD, had an initial 12 issue limited series run, but held other titles after that and has had several animated incarnations.

'Mazing Man (Sigfried Horatio Hunch III) 1986, created by Bob Rozakis and Stephen DeStefano. Having a large comic book collection, 'Mazing believes himself to be his neighbourhood's super-hero and dresses accordingly. His best friend is a comic book writer named Denton, who looks like a dog but is human. And there were several other characters featured in 'MAZING MAN, which lasted for twelve issues plus three 'MAZING MAN SPECIAL issues.
    With the exception of Super-Hip, I'll second the rest so they will wind up in the next round.

Terry McGinnis. It really bugs me when he is overlooked.

And, correct me if I am wrong, but was Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) also overlooked?
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Harley, Jessica Cruz, and Simon Baz are the most obvious omissions that come to mind for me, IMO.
    I'll second Harley Quinn.

Retired

Not to be greedy, but I was remiss in not putting forward one of my favourites before--

Hourman III (Tyler from the 853rd century) 1997, created by Grant Morrison and Howard Porter. In the 20th century/21st century (1999 - 2001), Tyler had his own 25 issue HOURMAN title by Tom Peyer and Rags Morales, where he hung out in Happy Harbor with Snapper Carr and Snapper's ex-wife, Bethany Lee. He was also a member of the Justice Society during that period. At some unknown time in the future there will be an Hourman Century.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to be greedy, but I was remiss in not putting forward one of my favourites before--

Hourman III (Tyler from the 853rd century) 1997, created by Grant Morrison and Howard Porter. In the 20th century/21st century (1999 - 2001), Tyler had his own 25 issue HOURMAN title by Tom Peyer and Rags Morales, where he hung out in Happy Harbor with Snapper Carr and Snapper's ex-wife, Bethany Lee. He was also a member of the Justice Society during that period. At some unknown time in the future there will be an Hourman Century.
    And he showed up this week in Justice Society of America #6.

OK I have a few seconds so far that will end up in the next round. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pig-Iron (Peter Porkchops) 1947
    Johnny Thunder (John Tane) 1948
    Star Hawkins 1960
    Sea Devils 1960
    Deadman (Boston Brand) 1967
    Rima, the Jungle Girl 1974
    Huntress (Helena Wayne) 1977
    Star Hunters 1977
    Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, (Amy Winston) 1983
    'Mazing Man (Sigfried Horatio Hunch III) 1986 1986
    Harley Quinn 1993

In the case of Rima & Harley I counted their first comic book appearance. And should I be counting Peter Porkchops' first appearance as Pig-Iron or his first appearance overall?

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    OK I have a few seconds so far that will end up in the next round. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pig-Iron (Peter Porkchops) 1947
    Johnny Thunder (John Tane) 1948
    Star Hawkins 1960
    Sea Devils 1960
    Deadman (Boston Brand) 1967
    Rima, the Jungle Girl 1974
    Huntress (Helena Wayne) 1977
    Star Hunters 1977
    Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, (Amy Winston) 1983
    'Mazing Man (Sigfried Horatio Hunch III) 1986 1986
    Harley Quinn 1993

In the case of Rima & Harley I counted their first comic book appearance. And should I be counting Peter Porkchops' first appearance as Pig-Iron or his first appearance overall?
    I would go with the latter myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Terry McGinnis. It really bugs me when he is overlooked.

And, correct me if I am wrong, but was Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt) also overlooked?
    Yeah, pretty obvious omissions, now that you mention them. Seconded!