Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default How to keep Magneto's Holocaust origin in future adaptions

I've seen people discuss what should happen in future adaptions with Magneto, as we get further away from WWII and the Holocaust. I think that origin shouldn't go away at all. And there are ways to keep the idea that he's an Ashkenazi Jewish Holocaust survivor intact. Of course, comics don't really have to address it with the sliding timescale and all. People understand that. You don't have to constantly update with war a veteran character served in. You could always do to him what happened with Steve Rogers, but I don't think that's the best idea. Or follow Evolution's lead and say he used machines. But I think the simplest way to do it would be to just say that his magnetic powers can keep his cells from oxidizing like metal. And you could even keep the way he and Charles met in Israel somewhat, as antisemitism in the world and violent attacks on people there are still sadly prevalent. So, he could have been working in a hospital there any time really after one of Arafat's Intifadas or any of Hamas' campaigns. I still hope Fassbender can reprise the role in the future. He's so great as Magneto.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

They could have Wanda restore him to youth, assuming she ever comes back to the MCU. Or some after-effect of Secret Wars. Mutants in general could be long-lived since apparently the First Class cast didn't age at all from the 60s to the 90s.

Astonishing Member

Just add longevity (while still aging however slowly) to his powerse or something

Or just introduce an early/flawed version of the resurrection protocols earlier and thus keep both Magneto and Xavier’s origins

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Just add longevity (while still aging however slowly) to his powerse or something

Or just introduce an early/flawed version of the resurrection protocols earlier and thus keep both Magneto and Xavier’s origins
    Longevity seem the easier choice, they already did in some form with other characters, addinng never before light healing factor to explain how they can recover so easily from being trashed by hulk level beatings. The de-aginng was already used once as well.

Astonishing Member

If they are to keep Fassbender or get a younger actor as Magneto a good option is to introduce Exodus as Magneto's right hand man and reveal that Exodus keeps healing his cells to keep him young. That way Exodus has a way to be in the film too

Astonishing Member

Past events and actions caused him to be frozen with an experimental cryogenic technology and he was brought back years later so he can remain of relative same age as Xavier, who might even have been the person to find him in first place.

Simple as that.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think in a world where people can read your mind and shoot lasers out of their hands, Magneto being alive and relatively young for 100 years can find an explanation pretty easily.

Being a Holocaust survivor is essential to his character and should not be simply swapped out for another, more recent event.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Past events and actions caused him to be frozen with an experimental cryogenic technology and he was brought back years later so he can remain of relative same age as Xavier, who might even have been the person to find him in first place.

Simple as that.
    This works. HIs powers manifested during the Holocaust. The Nazi's deemed him too dangerous but Hydra wanted to experiment on him. They freeze him like they did with the Winter Soldier. Young Xavier finds him years later. It keeps the Nazi aspect of his origin and the freezing and experiments give him more reason to despise humans

Slow aging. I don't even think it needs a specific explanation.
    If Mystique can be Sherlock Holmes without further explanation, Magneto can be a holocaust survivor without anyone questioning his age.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I've seen people discuss what should happen in future adaptions with Magneto, as we get further away from WWII and the Holocaust. I think that origin shouldn't go away at all. And there are ways to keep the idea that he's an Ashkenazi Jewish Holocaust survivor intact. Of course, comics don't really have to address it with the sliding timescale and all. People understand that. You don't have to constantly update with war a veteran character served in. You could always do to him what happened with Steve Rogers, but I don't think that's the best idea. Or follow Evolution's lead and say he used machines. But I think the simplest way to do it would be to just say that his magnetic powers can keep his cells from oxidizing like metal. And you could even keep the way he and Charles met in Israel somewhat, as antisemitism in the world and violent attacks on people there are still sadly prevalent. So, he could have been working in a hospital there any time really after one of Arafat's Intifadas or any of Hamas' campaigns. I still hope Fassbender can reprise the role in the future. He's so great as Magneto.
    Question... Future adaptions with Magneto, WWII, and the Holocaust notwithstanding -- but, with a POV of the present how would going progressively forward in time change Magneto's origin 50 years from now as everything gets further away from the years 1939 through 1945?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Question... Future adaptions with Magneto, WWII, and the Holocaust notwithstanding -- but, with a POV of the present how would going progressively forward in time change Magneto's origin 50 years from now as everything gets further away from the years 1939 through 1945?
    Because I've heard many calls to change Magneto's ethnic background to make him part of another genocide. And you've got radicals on the left and the right, who attempt to minimize the Holocaust and struggles of Jewish people. The formers arguing that white-passing Jews are privileged and make it a contest of oppression while the latter thinking every time someone's accused of antisemitism that it must be fake news and the alt-right pipeline that leads to people who think Jews are evil puppet masters. Each radical end united in their hate of Israel and idea that it controls people. And the moderates in each aisle tend to ignore the antisemitism in their ranks and only care if it's their opponents in politics. There are much fewer Holocaust survivors than there used to be and antisemitic people are having an easier time than ever at converting their viewers into Holocaust deniers. So, what I'm saying is that there are going to be more arguments to change him. And it isn't like comics haven't made huge changes to characters recently and casting hasn't been a huge departure from the comics in recent movies and TV series. And a lot of those arguments start with the fact that a young teenage boy in the Holocaust would be in his 90s now. So, there needs to be a way around that calculus.

Mighty Member

look as a Gambit fan who complains that they are trying to slowly replace Gambit with Carmen over the next decade or so I will say in Magneto's case a replacement might be time. I don't think Magneto needs to go but I think Eric Lensherr should be retired. When I did hear the Denzel as Magneto rumor I will admit it sounded perfect. To talk about civil rights which is so topical it would be a change I could see working really well. I think the Holocaust, while tragic, was so long ago. I think the story just needs to be updated and brought for modern audiences and generations. Eric is a product of the hate of the times. I mean as you said majority of people who felt that pain firsthand are gone. But those that deal with current racism need representation too. And Magneto would be perfect for representation for gen z to have a hero they can look up to imo. I think Eric should be Jewish but there's nothing inherently Jewish about Magneto so the mantle can simply be passed on to a new magneto who Eric deems worthy who speaks about today's issues
    Last edited by Gripstir; 09-08-2023 at 04:14 PM.

A) Magneto is not a mantle. Enough with mantles.
    B) You are doing just what I said some people do. Speak like there is no antisemitism or violent attacks against Jews today and seek to replace him with a person from a group you think is more oppressed when it shouldn't be a competition.
    C) Magneto has never been a hero to look up to. He is a tragic villain and anti-hero. I don't know what you're on about with Gen Z representation. But Gen Z needs to learn about the Holocaust. As they're the largest demo that's getting radicalized into antisemitism on the far left and the far right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    A) Magneto is not a mantle. Enough with mantles.
    B) You are doing just what I said some people do. Speak like there is no antisemitism or violent attacks against Jews today and seek to replace him with a person from a group you think is more oppressed when it shouldn't be a competition.
    C) Magneto has never been a hero to look up to. He is a tragic villain and anti-hero. I don't know what you're on about with Gen Z representation. But Gen Z needs to learn about the Holocaust. As they're the largest demo that's getting radicalized into antisemitism on the far left and the far right.
    A. I agree with you mostly. But with Magneto I just don't think there is much to add to Eric's story anymore. I feel like the two options you guys said, longevity and frozen just kinda ring hollow. Longevity would just end up meaning he's holding onto his past pain and isn't seeing the world as it is anymore. How can someone who goes through a Holocaust be scared of todays society? Just seems like a step down in terms of stakes. And for frozen you have a semi related issue of instead of being jaded he's just super naive and good storytelling would show him that his anger is wrong instead of justified. I'm just curious what other story can you do with Eric?
    B. There's of course attacks. Everyone is seeing a rise in hatred in today's society. We recently saw kids in cages for immigration which were compared to concentration camps. I mean I think a Mexican Magneto would work too if a black Magneto doesn't. I just think there are a lot of stories to tell and Magneto would be a useful tool to tell them.
    C. I think gen z responds to people talking about their stories. We have so much content on the Holocaust already. There are just more recent things you can use for his character. Heck make Magneto Palestinian and have him angry at Israel. Throw a little subversion in the story as Disney often does. You can easily make Magneto one of the 10 most influential characters in movies today

First off, we add just a little bit of backstory into Magento's history. He tried to be the Big Mutant Rebellion Leader and Savior several decades ago, when there was only like 20 or so mutants running around. It obviously went nowhere and he disappeared for a while as little more than a footnote in history.

However in "modern day" time when mutants have started popping up back again, somebody tracks down Magneto to be the ruler and savior he was always meant to be. The find him as an ancient old man in a retirement home barely aware of what's going on around him and they use their powers to De-age him and make him stronger than he ever was before. This also accounts for why he was so typically supervillian insane in the early X-men issues. He was both completely out of touch with the world around him and drunk on his new power.