Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    If Rotten Tomatoes has removed all reviews connected to the PR company paying those "critics" then I don't see how these bit of news reduces RT relevance to cinemagoers
    It is tainted. Its been tainted for years. Rotten Tomatoes was a good indication for movies maybe about 20 years ago but I started to get suspicions when I saw studios using a movie's RT score for their own personal marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    It is tainted. Its been tainted for years. Rotten Tomatoes was a good indication for movies maybe about 20 years ago but I started to get suspicions when I saw studios using a movie's RT score for their own personal marketing.
    Not defending RT but the studios have been using reviews in their marketing since the 80's.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I disagree and I still view it as a good aggregator of movies. I might be persuaded if someone showcased how RT owners have benefited from it thou.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

Critics got paid off all the time before RT became the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    And if I'm not paid you'll get a negative review.
    Lot of saps out there who surrender their free will to Reviews....still. Can't trust themselves. Sad.
    It's like people feel they should never have to see a bad movie. Folks, seeing a bad movie from time to time helps you grow into a more well rounded viewer. I do feel bad for Daisy Ridley, she is a great actress that unfortunate things seen to happen to.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's like people feel they should never have to see a bad movie. Folks, seeing a bad movie from time to time helps you grow into a more well rounded viewer. I do feel bad for Daisy Ridley, she is a great actress that unfortunate things seen to happen to.
    Interestingly, I've seen Ridley in a number of wildly different parts and movies, and I've always thought she was absolutely terrible. Oh well, different tastes, I guess.

Seeing a bad movie doesn't do anything other give you a bad time. There is no benefit to seeing a bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seeing a bad movie doesn't do anything other give you a bad time. There is no benefit to seeing a bad movie.
    Depends on how bad it is because there is a chance it could turn into a good time.

There is something to be said for watching bad movies to understand what okay movies accomplish.

It's also worth noting that many movies are controversial rather than obviously good or obviously bad. If a movie's 40% on Rotten Tomatoes, a good chunk of critics liked it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Critics got paid off all the time before RT became the standard.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I disagree and I still view it as a good aggregator of movies. I might be persuaded if someone showcased how RT owners have benefited from it thou.
    Rotten Tomatoes serves a purpose.

This is relevant to their credibility, but that's more about how they respond to it.

I wonder if there are customization options that they could consider, although I can see that leading down dark paths (IE- people gloating about the views of their 20 favorite critics, and things getting more and more insular.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Here's the simple way I've always done it find a critic you usually agree with and stick with them.
    I'll slightly disagree in that I don't know any critic I agree with one hundred percent of the time. Critics I disagree with will still have decent insights.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I'll slightly disagree in that I don't know any critic I agree with one hundred percent of the time. Critics I disagree with will still have decent insights.
    That's why I said usually.

Brad Jones does Midnight Screenings and the Cinema Snob I usually agree with his take on most films outside of the occasional Sci-Fi or the Superhero film. Now the good thing is I usually see those 2 genres regardless of critic's opinions. But if unsure and short on money there are 2 or 3 people, I check who I usually agree with in those genres to see if I want to wait until streaming or see in theaters.

My point is in my local area I know the best pizza joints to get the best stuff. One place has the best pizza another has the best hoagies, one has great salads, another has some good pasta dishes. My point is depending on what I want I know where to go I'm not dependent on Yelp or something to find a good joint. Like takeout I've done my shopping around and I got my main critic and a few backups for specialty genres I don't need Rotten Tomatoes. Also, les be honest while critics someone disagrees with can give insight, we're not talking about reading an opposing view we're talking about Rotten Tomatoes which most people don't even read the reviews they just look at the number.

Extraordinary Member

Critics get employed/paid more for their communication skills than their taste - what matters more for careers is their ability to use some kind of erudite explanation, humorous analysis, etc. when discussing the films they’ve reviewed.

The fact that skill set aligns very well with the skills of a marketer is why the two professions have always had an intermixing and crossover.

Oddly enough, I tend to think that the real difference between professional critics and professional marketers is more that critics naturally become more jaded as time goes on because they are required to watch movies made for everyone and slowly develop more niche tastes, while marketeers rely on manufacturing enthusiasm.

(“Geek” critics are different because they *start* with a niche.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

There is something to be said for watching bad movies to understand what okay movies accomplish.

It's also worth noting that many movies are controversial rather than obviously good or obviously bad. If a movie's 40% on Rotten Tomatoes, a good chunk of critics liked it.
    I agree, and I sometimes do intentionally watch stuff I know is supposed to be bad, mostly to see where it went wrong, and what to avoid in storytelling. That said, watching bad movies is or course a chore, and I don't do it often.

Unless it's at home with friends than it can be fun poking fun of it. Mst3k showed us that!

Ultimate Member

This is true.

Rotten Tomatoes serves a purpose.

This is relevant to their credibility, but that's more about how they respond to it.

I wonder if there are customization options that they could consider, although I can see that leading down dark paths (IE- people gloating about the views of their 20 favorite critics, and things getting more and more insular.)

Good point especially about customization.

The binary nature of RT can sometimes leave out nuance in the reviews being aggregated.

A majority of critics can give a movie 6/10 and because of how RT aggregates, it'll look like it reviewed excellently (a lot of superhero movies fall into this) when in reality said movie was average.

These are things RT needs to consider if they're going to remain relevant.