Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Will we ever see the end of rehashes of old stories? Should we?

I enjoyed #33. I’m excited for #34 and happy to be.

Is it good for the book to keep remixing its greatest hits album? We had a KLH event with Spencer and now again with Wells. I’m kind of tired of the KLH worship (as much as I love the OG). I can’t recall Slott doing something like this in ASM. All his ideas felt new (even if Spider-Verse has been done a lot in a small timeframe).

I appreciate that nostalgia is marketable. I get that we live in a world of remastered and remade video games, and rebooted movie franchises.

Is this common practice in comics at large or is ASM a particularly glaring outlier? I only really read ASM these days (currently making an effort to read Zdarsky DD).

Am I wrong for thinking it’s creatively bankrupt? We seem to have a new hunt every few years. How sustainable is this?

It really depends. The Triangle Era of Superman is highly regarded and my favorite era of Superman but some of it was mining the silver age and retelling stories with a modern style. Like Superman Red and Superman Blue

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    It really depends. The Triangle Era of Superman is highly regarded and my favorite era of Superman but some of it was mining the silver age and retelling stories with a modern style. Like Superman Red and Superman Blue
    I’m not a big Superman fan ( too much Americana I can’t connect to) but I’d consider Blue a different idea to a the kind of retread I’m describing. It was like a retrospective and had a very different through line to just ‘the many adventures of Spider-Man’ like the original issues. There was event it was directly remixing.

Astonishing Member

Yes, we will see an end. It happened many times.

We just don't think about it because new stories become old stories.

Once OMD is undone and we get a new Editorial team, I imagine we will get less rehashes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

Once OMD is undone and we get a new Editorial team, I imagine we will get less rehashes.
    Not sure why that would be the case, but I will accept that Brevoort is attached to the past. The exalting of Spider-Man 2 in his manifesto shows he likes other people’s past ideas.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    I enjoyed #33. I’m excited for #34 and happy to be.

Is it good for the book to keep remixing its greatest hits album? We had a KLH event with Spencer and now again with Wells. I’m kind of tired of the KLH worship (as much as I love the OG). I can’t recall Slott doing something like this in ASM. All his ideas felt new (even if Spider-Verse has been done a lot in a small timeframe).

I appreciate that nostalgia is marketable. I get that we live in a world of remastered and remade video games, and rebooted movie franchises.

Is this common practice in comics at large or is ASM a particularly glaring outlier? I only really read ASM these days (currently making an effort to read Zdarsky DD).

Am I wrong for thinking it’s creatively bankrupt? We seem to have a new hunt every few years. How sustainable is this?
    it may never happen especially since Spidey is owned by Disney, and big Corps are risk averse so they will always go back to more successful stories.

Think about all of the sequels we got and reboots and status quo shifts that mimic better stories.

Spectacular Member

It's just the easiest money grab,
    the collectors don't really care about the story, just the title and the cover,
    so just milk those classic storylines, and make homage covers,
    and grab that easy money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yes, we will see an end. It happened many times.

We just don't think about it because new stories become old stories.

How? Peter and MJ being married is a great opportunity to rehash the stories when they were married.

And you know what, people will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    it may never happen especially since Spidey is owned by Disney, and big Corps are risk averse so they will always go back to more successful stories.
    I don't think that's the case. Just look all the shitty stories we got these last ten years. Disney just cares Marvel doesn't fuck the characters up really hard, like Spider-Man addicted to cocaine, something like that.
    Last edited by ImOctavius; 09-08-2023 at 03:32 PM.

It feels like this will never happen, because people like Spider-Man's history too much to allow something that doesn't heavily reference the milestones.

But it's also possible to have a vogue for something new.

And there are runs that don't rehash old stories. Ryan North's Fantastic Four features stories with classic villains that aren't rehashes of the coming of Galactus, or the Fantastic Four sneaking into Latveria.

JMS' run avoided rehashes for the first two years. It wasn't until Amazing Spider-Man #500 that there was a deep dive to continuity. Sins Past was the main story that really built on earlier elements to the extent that Spencer and Wells used Kraven's Last Hunt.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 09-08-2023 at 01:29 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    I don't think that's the case. Just look all the shitty stories we got these last ten years. Disney just cares they don't want fuck the characters up really hard, like Spider-Man addicted to cocaine, something like that.
    Yeah. If anything, more experimentation would probably suit Disney because they only look to the books to mine for stories for the movies and TV shows . . . and they've already adapted a good chunk of well-known stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    I don't think that's the case. Just look all the shitty stories we got these last ten years. Disney just cares they don't want fuck the characters up really hard, like Spider-Man addicted to cocaine, something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Yeah. If anything, more experimentation would probably suit Disney because they only look to the books to mine for stories for the movies and TV shows . . . and they've already adapted a good chunk of well-known stories.
    Civil War II, World War Hulk II, Secret Invasion II, and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Civil War II, World War Hulk II, Secret Invasion II, and so much more.
    One factor is that writers feel less incentive to tell new stories if they're not going to be compensated for it when the work is adapted.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One factor is that writers feel less incentive to tell new stories if they're not going to be compensated for it when the work is adapted.
    I wholeheartedly agree

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Then maybe marvel needs to find more avenues to adapt the material tbh.