Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One factor is that writers feel less incentive to tell new stories if they're not going to be compensated for it when the work is adapted.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree
    Hard same. Nobody wants to give away their best ideas if they're not even going to get a fair chunk of the profits from those ideas being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    Then maybe marvel needs to find more avenues to adapt the material tbh.
    Or they, along with so many other big corporate names in the entertainment industry, need to compensate their creatives more fairly and adequately for the time and effort (and skill and talent) invested in the stories they create.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hard same. Nobody wants to give away their best ideas if they're not even going to get a fair chunk of the profits from those ideas being used.

Or they, along with so many other big corporate names in the entertainment industry, need to compensate their creatives more fairly and adequately for the time and effort (and skill and talent) invested in the stories they create.
    That too lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One factor is that writers feel less incentive to tell new stories if they're not going to be compensated for it when the work is adapted.
    Then those writers need to tell stories on a platform that allows them to own their copyright, IMO.

Writing comics is work for hire; if you don’t understand that and aren’t excited about the opportunity to use the Marvel (or DC) platform to reach new audiences and build a name that you can then take to creator-owned works by telling fresh, hopefully audience-grabbing and critically acclaimed stories, then you shouldn’t agree to write for characters who belong to someone else.

Luckily, there are many creators who are work for hire for publishers who jump at the chance to work on storied characters and turn out excellent, imaginative work and have something new to say/bring an original perspective to their stories; the tired, lazy retreads appears to be a Spider-Man issue these days.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-08-2023 at 03:01 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    if you don’t understand that and aren’t excited about the opportunity to use the Marvel (or DC) platform to reach new audiences and build a name that you can then take to creator-owned works by telling fresh, hopefully audience-grabbing and critically acclaimed stories, then you shouldn’t agree to write for characters who belong to someone else.
    Ugh, please don't.

The creative fields have a bad tendency to try and use this nebulous "exposure" to underpay - or outright get free work - out of hungry artists.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Then those writers need to tell stories on a platform that allows them to own their copyright, IMO.

Writing comics is work for hire; if you don’t understand that and aren’t excited about the opportunity to use the Marvel (or DC) platform to reach new audiences and build a name that you can then take to creator-owned works by telling fresh, hopefully audience-grabbing and critically acclaimed stories, then you shouldn’t agree to write for characters who belong to someone else.

Luckily, there are many creators who are work for hire for publishers who jump at the chance to work on storied characters and turn out excellent, imaginative work and have something new to say/bring an original perspective to their stories; the tired, lazy retreads appears to be a Spider-Man issue these days.
    This is why a large swath of writers bounced to substack or indie companies.

The issue is that new writers are young and inexperienced and they are doing it for the exposure, but in doing so their influences seep through into their writing.

Hence the rehashing of stories.

Fantastic Member

You folks seem to have a weird definition of "rehashing" a story. This current story line is a follow-up to a story, not a rehash. Having Spider-man besieged by Norman Osborn's demons hunting down and getting revenge on Kraven is a wholly new story that plays off the events of "KLH" because that's the history of these two characters. In an ongoing series, characters meeting or battling each other again will undoubtedly reference earlier encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    You folks seem to have a weird definition of "rehashing" a story. This current story line is a follow-up to a story, not a rehash. Having Spider-man besieged by Norman Osborn's demons hunting down and getting revenge on Kraven is a wholly new story that plays off the events of "KLH" because that's the history of these two characters. In an ongoing series, characters meeting or battling each other again will undoubtedly reference earlier encounters.
    It’s Kraven’s last hunt but in reverse. Vermin even shows up for no reason other than he was in the original story. Wells isn’t even trying to anything remotely original with the concept.

BANNED

I think RJT makes a solid point that the current storyline IS a sequel, but I would argue that almost all sequels re-utilize elements from the original story. Often trying to capitalize on the iconography of the original story to do some of the heavy lifting for the audience. Not unlike a mediocre movie sequel/remake/reboot.

Honestly I have no problem with stories re-utilizing previous elements like this. I just think that depending on the quality, we either brand it as a re-imagining that we enjoy and approve of, or a rehash that fails to capture the spirit of the original. I'd say it's too early to call this story until we see the end to determine which it is.

As for super hero comics 're-hashing' various elements, that's just the nature of the beast. Same with reboots/retcons and way too many variants flooding the market. It's to be expected in any kind of long form storytelling. If you've watched General Hospital the last 30+ years I'm sure they've repeated story beats plenty of times. I love Detective Conan, but there's hundreds of chapters and certain mysteries are pretty much just older stories told a different way. I really think how we engage with it and discuss it all really depends on the quality of the story at the end of the day.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Ugh, please don't.

The creative fields have a bad tendency to try and use this nebulous "exposure" to underpay - or outright get free work - out of hungry artists.
    Indeed, or else "Comics Broke Me" wouldn't be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    I think RJT makes a solid point that the current storyline IS a sequel, but I would argue that almost all sequels re-utilize elements from the original story. Often trying to capitalize on the iconography of the original story to do some of the heavy lifting for the audience. Not unlike a mediocre movie sequel/remake/reboot.

Honestly I have no problem with stories re-utilizing previous elements like this. I just think that depending on the quality, we either brand it as a re-imagining that we enjoy and approve of, or a rehash that fails to capture the spirit of the original. I'd say it's too early to call this story until we see the end to determine which it is.

As for super hero comics 're-hashing' various elements, that's just the nature of the beast. Same with reboots/retcons and way too many variants flooding the market. It's to be expected in any kind of long form storytelling. If you've watched General Hospital the last 30+ years I'm sure they've repeated story beats plenty of times. I love Detective Conan, but there's hundreds of chapters and certain mysteries are pretty much just older stories told a different way. I really think how we engage with it and discuss it all really depends on the quality of the story at the end of the day.
    Valid points there. In a nutshell, if Wells hadn't burned up so much goodwill from the fandom/readership with all the stunts he pulled so far in this ASM run overall, people might be more inclined to give this latest revisit of Kraven's Last Hunt a chance.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Valid points there. In a nutshell, if Wells hadn't burned up so much goodwill from the fandom/readership with all the stunts he pulled so far in this ASM run overall, people might be more inclined to give this latest revisit of Kraven's Last Hunt a chance.
    Totally agree, he shot himself in the foot by staining his run with a terrible foundation. Now it's tainted everything he writes. I read the issue the other day, it was pretty solid. Amazing artwork. Evil Peter is surprisingly fun, especially when doing the wicked laugh. Sure it's just re-utilizing elements from KLH but it's also clearly building off of what Spencer established in Hunted, which itself was a very clear big send up to KLH as well. I think in a vacuum this story would probably get more praise, but it's compounded on top of other elements that are frustrating about the run. Like Daddy Norman, or setting Peter up with Michelle. It's got too much baggage from the rest of the run to be entirely enjoyed on it's own as a standalone story.

Spectacular Member

How is this not rehashing?
    How does deconstruct and reconstruct count as a new story?

Let's make Peter as Vermin, Kraven as Spider-man, and Vermin as Kraven,
    would that just be a whole new concept of a story?
    Vermin Last Hunt?
    That would be a sequel apparently?

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    This does go beyond that, although the OP was also clear that he likes this story.

There are pros and cons with this level of referencing prior material. It can be rewarding for fans, and leads to a sense that this is all part of the character's rich history. But it can also make comics seem insular and inaccessible.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by guanlishabi View Post
    It's just the easiest money grab,
    the collectors don't really care about the story, just the title and the cover,
    so just milk those classic storylines, and make homage covers,
    and grab that easy money.
    Using that logic, they can make the book reprints-only and they’d be even more profitable
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Ugh, please don't.

Are you willing to pay more for your comics?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Are you willing to pay more for your comics?
    Lol it's kind of doubtful if we did it would go to their specific pockets.