Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Saw it today. What a garbage movie, any goodwill the first one got was wasted 5 seconds in.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I saw it thought it was an incredible movie a lot better than the last two THOR movies. Love to see a third movie for a trilogy, Amanda Heard was great as Mera I would love to see her with that post Apocalypse Justice League team in an Elseworld movie
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 12-26-2023 at 06:24 PM.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

That was GREAT!

You know how in most comic book movies stuff looks similar? Not here, the production design was on a whole other level. Vehicles, weapons, costumes and most of all the creatures were amazing! A little heavy on tentacles maybe, but everything looked like it was truly designed by an ancient underwater civilization. The surface tech was cool too and appeared as if it actually worked.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II though? His presence was menacing, you felt all his hatred and eventually his lack of humanity. It was a standout performance.

Then there's the action, James Wan is underappreciated. The fight choreography was epic, moves you've seen a million times before suddenly looked brand new, because of how they were filmed and the little extras like feints, counterstrikes, ricochets and falling objects. There was so much to see, the visuals were aquatic like in the first film, but this time on acid. There were also twists to the story I didn't anticipate for once.

I didn't go into this expecting a buddy comedy, where Arthur and Orm slowly bond as brothers, but by the end I was glad that's what was presented. Orm got so much screen time and attention, he often out shined Aquaman.

The themes of brotherhood, foregoing prejudices, bridge building and perseverance in the face of adversity were condensed into easily digestible chunks that didn't come off as empty comicbook platitudes, but genuine life lessons to take with you going forward.

It closed out the DCEU nicely, it's a real shame more people aren't going to see this movie!

At $38 million in 4 days, AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM had a worse box office opening than the Marvels with $40 million.

So, does anyone think it is gonna be a flop or will have good legs?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    At $38 million in 4 days, AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM had a worse box office opening than the Marvels with $40 million.

Fins. Will it have good fins.

I didn't love the first movie, but I thought it was solid. I had the same response to this one, but comparing it to the rest of the DCEU, I think more favorably on Lost Kingdom. Flash tried to tackle too much and failed at a lot while Blue Beetle was a standard origin movie, so I didn't enjoy either as much as I did Aquaman. Ditto Fury of the Gods. Take that and Wonder Woman 1984 and Aquaman is easily one of the best DCEU sequels (probably second only to The Suicide Squad).

I still had some issues with gags, lazy music choice ("Born to be Wild", seriously?) and Aquaman not wearing his costume for an action sequence in the second act, but I thought the strong characterizations outweighed the negatives. Orm and Manta's arcs continued from the first movie. Yeah, Orm was compared to Loki, but superhero movies dispose of villains so quickly, but this one proves they have potential. A perfect third movie would bring back Manta and introduce him to the son he never knew he had and call into question if his quest for vengeance is at odds with his family's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The way the villain was defeated...is wow. The guy breaks free, gets his mighty trident and Aquaman just has to throw his trident that happens to shatter the black trident? Thats all? It was as if they couldnt come up with a legitimate way to save the day so they just came up with the easiest way possible. It was fairly disappointing.
    Then there's that. The lore behind the Lost Kingdom was kind of cool, but the villain and climatic fight was my least favorite part of the movie.

I expected/feared this movie was going to take a dark turn. spoilers:
    Given AJ's history in the comics, Amber Heard's public problems, redeemed villains tending to have an expiration date, and the fact that Arthur has two living parents, I was ready for some serious tragedy. And was it just me, or did they kind of foreshadow Arthur losing a hand a couple times? That crab guy making reference to losing a claw, Arthur's blood being needed, Arthur extending a hand to Manta, it all felt like it was leading towards something. Kind of amazing everyone got off so easily.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The latest figures I could find were:

US = $81.8 million
    Intl= $173.6 million

Worldwide Total = $255.4 million

I suppose later today the studios will update the numbers from New Years Day.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Truthfully, I don't give a rats bottom. I went and saw it and it being a "flop" has no bearing on my like or dislike of it. The excessive "flop" use only seems to thrill those that love to hate a movie/series/brand because they just love to hate...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The latest figures I could find were:

US = $81.8 million
    Intl= $173.6 million

Worldwide Total = $255.4 million

I suppose later today the studios will update the numbers from New Years Day.
    Considering the budget was $215 million plus marketing costs, Aquaman 2 will need to reach at least $500 million to break even. Half of the box office earnings goes to the theaters and the other half goes to the studios and distributors.

I forgot this was a thing and I'm a DC fan. Well, time to start new....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

The first movie is doing well on Netflix. Yesterday, it was the second-most viewed movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Saw it today. What a garbage movie, any goodwill the first one got was wasted 5 seconds in.
    How so? Just curious.
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    How so? Just curious.
    I mean beging with the baby was bad in the start but it get really good after that maybe he just walked out after 5 minutes?

Aquaman 2's worldwide box office is $334 million. Damn, this movie is making money at a little slower pace than Wonka which opened a week earlier in theaters. However, Aquaman 2 is still making over $1 million per day at the domestic box office and remains in over 3,000 North American theaters.

Let's hope it has good legs.

Extraordinary Member

Aquaman 2's worldwide box office is $334 million. Damn, this movie is making money at a little slower pace than Wonka which opened a week earlier in theaters. However, Aquaman 2 is still making over $1 million per day at the domestic box office and remains in over 3,000 North American theaters.

Let's hope it has good legs.
    Why? Why would anyone care? It's a dead franchise now, you'll never see another Mamoa Aquaman movie regardless of whatever legs this has. And Mamoa himself won't be hurt by this. First one was fine, though I struggled to remember it a few minutes late. But it was bright and colorful and had some interesting stuff in it, so there you go. Might even free Mamoa to do Lobo. Which could be good or bad, now that I think of it.
    Last edited by achilles; 01-08-2024 at 08:03 AM.