Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    So I brought tickets a month ago for this Saturday. Yesterday (12/20) we decided to switch to Sunday because of plans. When I switched the ENTIRE showing on Sunday was unsold and the only 2 tickets purchased was mine. Doesn't look good
    Well, it is Christmas Eve...

Not sure about eve but christmas day is the best day of the year for movies. The most people go to the movies out of the year in america!

No shock family movies used to do really well on christmas.

This movie is doomed domestically but China might give it a boost they seem to have a thing for Aquaman

I really want to like this movie but that dialogue. And stop freaking punking out Black Manta. That really infuriates me. Overall a 4 out of 10.
    Last edited by krazijoe; 12-22-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Not sure about eve but christmas day is the best day of the year for movies. The most people go to the movies out of the year in america!

No shock family movies used to do really well on christmas.
    I always have way too much cooking on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to go to the movies.

I saw it last night. While the first one was slightly better(just a more archetypal, straight forward story, in contrast to this more complex sequel), this one had a lot of great visuals and fun moments, and was basically right there with the first one in terms of being a fun adventure. Taken on it's own, it's a fine movie. I would say there were a few heavy-handed messages that were a little eye-rolling, but that part wasn't enough to stop me enjoying the film.

If you're a hardcore Aquaman aficionado, I'm sure you'd have plenty to pick apart at, and as the last film in the DCEU, it's probably not the great conclusion one would hope for, but it was a solid, enjoyable film. I would think in a fair world it could come close to the box office potential of the first film. That probably won't actually manifest, but who knows, maybe people will go to see it anyways(even if it doesn't have a strong RT score or lots of marketing).

Jason Momoa as Aquaman was certainly an anomaly, but one not without merit. He'd certainly be a better fit for Lobo, but his Aquaman will be missed, at least by me.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Jason Momoa as Aquaman was certainly an anomaly, but one not without merit. He'd certainly be a better fit for Lobo, but his Aquaman will be missed, at least by me.
    I've never liked Lobo. He's basically Wolverine to the nth degree. So won't be supporting Momoa as that character, but I did enjoy him as Arthur Curry. Hoping to get to the theatre as those underwater scenes looks amazing on a big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I've never liked Lobo. He's basically Wolverine to the nth degree. So won't be supporting Momoa as that character, but I did enjoy him as Arthur Curry. Hoping to get to the theatre as those underwater scenes looks amazing on a big screen.
    Lobo was a funny case of being satire, but they underestimated the 90s. If you like Mamoa as Aquaman, I honestly don't imagine his Lobo as being all that different,(uness they go rated R) just amped up all the time, rather than sporadically.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Just watched Aquaman 2....and it was a mess of a movie.

It was like they didnt know what kind of movie they wanted it to be so they mashed up like 3-4 different genres into one. We go from "Look whose talking" comedy movie about dad getting pee in his mouth, to Lord of the Rings, a fantasy epic, to a buddy cop movie of good cop/bad cop, to Step Brothers "cockroaches are the shrimp of the human world. try one"

Aquabro was in full force for the most part and it was annoying as hell for me. I for one am glad that we are done with Jason Mamoas version of Aquaman. He's an adult child who falls asleep and snores on the throne in the middle of a council meeting. He just wants to chug beer all day and go on about how great cheeseburgers are.

The way the villain was defeated...is wow. The guy breaks free, gets his mighty trident and Aquaman just has to throw his trident that happens to shatter the black trident? Thats all? It was as if they couldnt come up with a legitimate way to save the day so they just came up with the easiest way possible. It was fairly disappointing.

Mera is there for the first half/last half but you can tell that they chose to drastically reduce the character. Nothing James says can make me believe otherwise. She literally speaks maybe 3-4 times and her action scenes go by fairly fast. Her father speaks more than she does and they never even speak to each other or about each other. She's almost killed by Manta....he's just mum about it. He's a grandfather and it never comes up. His grandson is kidnapped and he's mum about it. She's more or less there to be wife and mom and not her own character. Though she is allowed to save Arthur once which was nice. He gets more of a storyline with Orm than with Mera.

Even Atlanna is used sparingly and not to her full potential.

If you're name isnt Arthur/Orm/Manta/Scientist guy...then...your pretty much an after thought.

5/10

And what’s with Manta hiring all the Planet X lackeys. I fully expected King Ghidorah and Godzilla to show up.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I'm hearing the gross out humor and tone of this movie. Don't match up with the 1st one. Wondering if Gunn had anything to do with that. Gonna check it out regardless but expectations are low. "sigh"

Astonishing Member

Mera was one of the best parts of the first film. Sad that they let public reaction to the actress's court appearances determine how she was used in the sequel.

Extraordinary Member

So the visuals for this movie are awesome. The underwater fight/battle scenes are worth the price of admission alone. I'm convinced critics and American audiences in general don't know what good c.g.i is. They maybe just look at what rt says and go along with it. Cuz ppl saying the c.g.i here is bad need their eyes checked.

That being said. It's impossible to defend a movie where babies are pissing in ppl's faces and dudes are eating water bugs. Like really? Might as well have thrown in some under water fart jokes for good measure. Who thought this stuff was funny? Jokes like that take all the gravitas out of a movie like this. But I'll probably watch it again on the big screen just for the action lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Mera was one of the best parts of the first film. Sad that they let public reaction to the actress's court appearances determine how she was used in the sequel.
    She had a few big scenes and helped take down Manta.

I just don't like that surfer dude bro mamoa does with Aquaman......