Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31

    Default

    So this has been making the rounds...

    RUMOR: Aquaman 2 Scene Caused Viewer Walkouts in Test Screenings

    Specifically over spoilers:
    Aquababy getting murked.
    end of spoilers

    Again, rumor, but, now I'd bet money that death won't be in the final product.

  2. #32
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So this has been making the rounds...

    RUMOR: Aquaman 2 Scene Caused Viewer Walkouts in Test Screenings

    Specifically over spoilers:
    Aquababy getting murked.
    end of spoilers

    Again, rumor, but, now I'd bet money that death won't be in the final product.
    That's stupid.

  3. #33
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So this has been making the rounds...

    RUMOR: Aquaman 2 Scene Caused Viewer Walkouts in Test Screenings

    Specifically over spoilers:
    Aquababy getting murked.
    end of spoilers

    Again, rumor, but, now I'd bet money that death won't be in the final product.
    Even if it was an important part of Aquaman lore, Hollywood should have learned by now that comic book audiences don't include just fanboys. Adapting Gwen Stacy's death and packing Amazing Spider-Man 2 with villains didn't save it, adapting the Dark Phoenix saga twice didn't pay off, and throwing a bloody Weapon X adaptation in the middle of X-Men Apocalypse was ...awkward.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Even if it was an important part of Aquaman lore, Hollywood should have learned by now that comic book audiences don't include just fanboys. Adapting Gwen Stacy's death and packing Amazing Spider-Man 2 with villains didn't save it, adapting the Dark Phoenix saga twice didn't pay off, and throwing a bloody Weapon X adaptation in the middle of X-Men Apocalypse was ...awkward.
    Agreed. And honestly I thought they'd do hook-hand Aquaman next (not cause I wanted to see it, but because of what you just said), it actually never occurred to me till that CBR link that they'd actually put that [above spoiler] in an Aquaman movie.

    The other rumor is that its going through constant reshoots and test screenings, probably breaking some sort of record. I think they really want this to be a hit and not a downer, even though its the last of the old guard so to speak.

  5. #35
    Mighty Member Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    True, the majority of audiences have never read a comic book in their lives.

    Adapting the Winter Soldier storyline paid off.'

    Adapting the Infinity Gauntlet storyline sold well.

    Adapting the Civil War storyline into a Captain America movie paid off.

    Making Jane Foster the new Thor went very well.

  6. #36
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Agreed. And honestly I thought they'd do hook-hand Aquaman next (not cause I wanted to see it, but because of what you just said), it actually never occurred to me till that CBR link that they'd actually put that [above spoiler] in an Aquaman movie.

    The other rumor is that its going through constant reshoots and test screenings, probably breaking some sort of record. I think they really want this to be a hit and not a downer, even though its the last of the old guard so to speak.
    They should know by now that if the recent string of disappointments won't matter to people willing to watch Aquaman solo again, it's because Wan Aquaman worked for them and they want more. Coloring around the lines is fine but talent and movie quality have to be there for it. In addition to there being a place for everything (Joker, Logan, Spider-verse, the latest in addition to No Way Home was able to reference the Gwen Stacy tragedy to good effect). In this case because Wan was able to pack a lot in a spectacular fun movie, which I assume this will be again, having the same December release again, I'd trust him on principle.

  7. #37
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    True, the majority of audiences have never read a comic book in their lives.

    Adapting the Winter Soldier storyline paid off.'

    Adapting the Infinity Gauntlet storyline sold well.

    Adapting the Civil War storyline into a Captain America movie paid off.

    Making Jane Foster the new Thor went very well.
    I think there are a couple of factors there.

    First, those were all Marvel movies, which have gotten a huge line of credit with fans because they started with a great track record, while the DCEU has had negative feelings from half the movie audiences from the start. Secondly, nothing in those movies would feel as horrible as what was described for Aquaman 2.
    Power with Girl is better.

  8. #38
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    True, the majority of audiences have never read a comic book in their lives.

    Adapting the Winter Soldier storyline paid off.'

    Adapting the Infinity Gauntlet storyline sold well.

    Adapting the Civil War storyline into a Captain America movie paid off.

    Making Jane Foster the new Thor went very well.
    I wouldn't say Jane Foster as the new Thor went well I mean it wasn't horrible but I don't think people were that interested in it and were disappointed by the movie overall.

  9. #39
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I wouldn't say Jane Foster as the new Thor went well I mean it wasn't horrible but I don't think people were that interested in it and were disappointed by the movie overall.
    He probably means the movie was a hit, even if I don't think I've seen people anxiously waiting for a sequel from its events and ending. But as Powerboy says the Thor franchise was tried and true with audiences by then. And even then, Love and Thunder didn't keep Odinson down like what comic fans complained most about the original Gorr/Jane Fosthor comics, Thor was well used by then (after previous movies) to Stormbreaker, and not wielding Mjolnir was played for laughs.

  10. #40
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So this has been making the rounds...

    RUMOR: Aquaman 2 Scene Caused Viewer Walkouts in Test Screenings

    Specifically over spoilers:
    Aquababy getting murked.
    end of spoilers

    Again, rumor, but, now I'd bet money that death won't be in the final product.
    Wow would they really be that stupid to try to adapt that storyline? That’s seen as really dark even by today’s comic book standards. I could maybe see it happening in a Black Label book but not in the regular monthlies. I don’t think mainstream movie audiences would approve of that in a family friendly PG-13 flick. It’s really the opposite of the silly fun that made the first movie a success.

    Apparently it’s gone through a lot of reshoots and editing to change the tone and even some major plot points. Maybe they can pull it off but it seems like it’s going to be a mess.

    Though ending the Snyder/Hamada era with a massive clusterf*^% would be a very fitting way to go out.

    Momoa’s charism has been a big reason why the Aquaman franchise is still seen in a somewhat positive light while the rest of the DC brand is loathed by audiences. But they don’t even have him to promote the damn thing this time around.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-18-2023 at 07:21 PM.

  11. #41
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Momoa’s charism has been a big reason why the Aquaman franchise is still seen in a somewhat positive light while the rest of the DC brand is loathed by audiences. But they don’t even have him to promote the damn thing this time around.
    Momoa was chewing the scenery through the Fast X movie, maybe the studio hopes that will be enough marketing from him.

    Another thing in Aquaman's favor is I think it's the only tentpole out in December currently, with Marvels releasing one month earlier. Unless... Wonka from one week before is really good and plays spoiler, like some kind of chocolate maker Barbie. Which would be hilarious because Wonka is also from Warner.

  12. #42
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Momoa was chewing the scenery through the Fast X movie, maybe the studio hopes that will be enough marketing from him.

    Another thing in Aquaman's favor is I think it's the only tentpole out in December currently, with Marvels releasing one month earlier. Unless... Wonka from one week before is really good and plays spoiler, like some kind of chocolate maker Barbie. Which would be hilarious because Wonka is also from Warner.
    Yeah that’s one of the stupidest release schedule I’ve seen in a long while. WB had a massive hit with Barbie but it’s not like they’re sprouting a ton of successes these days. Why have two of your biggest releases of the season compete against each other?!? Self sabotage.

  13. #43
    Mighty Member Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah thatís one of the stupidest release schedule Iíve seen in a long while. WB had a massive hit with Barbie but itís not like theyíre sprouting a ton of successes these days. Why have two of your biggest releases of the season compete against each other?!? Self sabotage.
    Yes, this release schedule is worse than Disney's releasing Haunted Mansion in July instead of October.

  14. #44
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Yes, this release schedule is worse than Disney's releasing Haunted Mansion in July instead of October.
    To be fair it was common before the pandemic that movies people liked did good business concurrently during the Christmas holidays, just last year the new Avatar and Puss in Boots did it, even if that was from 2 different studios. I'd only wonder about Wonka if it was another $200 million budget production, but that's for another thread.

  15. #45
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s really the opposite of the silly fun that made the first movie a success.
    .
    To me that's the biggest reason it's an incredibly stupid thing to try. It'd be like having Indiana Jones go to Auschwitz...it's just not supposed to be that kind of story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •