Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well I feel pretty confident in what Gunn's style is going to involve. The question isn't so much - "could he do a proper Superman movie?" - but rather "would people accept and love a Gunn-directed Superman movie"? Gunn has a tendency to mock and make fun of goody two-shoes characters like Superman in his movies. So I expect some of that. But Gunn also tends to have his characters learn how to become better people - so I also expect some of that.

The safe way to handle Superman is probably the "Captain America Approach" - just to have him be this static icon who has little to no character development and is basically a symbol who inspires the people around him. It worked in all the MCU movies involving Cap and it worked with Superman in the two Donner films. I don't know if Gunn would do a treatment that is so light-handed, but I bet someone other than me has noticed that it has been a successful approach.
    I think the "problem" with Captain America is that the whole premise is that he's already the man he needs to become. "Don't stop being what you already are- a good man."

I think a lot of the problem is we've gotten so used to all of this character deconstruction style that people think it always has to be that way. I think you can test a character's convictions and show that he knows who he really is and likes being who he is.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think the "problem" with Captain America is that the whole premise is that he's already the man he needs to become. "Don't stop being what you already are- a good man."

I think a lot of the problem is we've gotten so used to all of this character deconstruction style that people think it always has to be that way. I think you can test a character's convictions and show that he knows who he really is and likes being who he is.
    Yeah, not *every* story has to tear a character down to find their core and build them back up again. Sometimes they (and we, the readers) already know that, and are good to go.

Just because it worked for Daredevil that one time, doesn't mean that *everybody* needs to retread that same story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I'm loving the Aquaman vs Black Manta vibe .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Aw! Babies first sonar signals .

I guess that also solves the "is Arthur Jr. biting it?" Manta kidnaps him and Arthur has to go in and save him with Orm.

Honestly looks pretty good. Nice to see Manta get a chance to be the main bad guy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aw! Babies first sonar signals .

I guess that also solves the "is Arthur Jr. biting it?" Manta kidnaps him and Arthur has to go in and save him with Orm.
    Looks like it.

Which is a good change from the comics.

It was much more dire for that baby in the comics.

Honestly looks pretty good. Nice to see Manta get a chance to be the main bad guy.
    And conveniently with everything wrapping up, now the actor can freely be Wonder Man .

Will this one also suffer the box office slump of the recent totally mid superhero flicks?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Saw the toys popping up at Retail as I hit a few places yesterday.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

They toys have been on the shelves since the first week of November where I live. Anyone who is collecting, Aquaman himself is something of a peg warmer, Black Manta though goes quick. Talking about the 12 inch figures.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 11-29-2023 at 10:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

This trailer is everything 'The Marvels' wasn't. It advances the character, features an A-class villain and features an engaging storyline. I know James Gunn rebooting has dampened enthusiasm for anything not under his imprint, but this looks like a great sequel to the original -- which I enjoyed quite a bit. I do wish there was more Mera in the trailer, but I understand why she wasn't featured prominently. This may be the first film I watch in the theatre in the post Covid era.
    Last edited by kcekada; 12-12-2023 at 12:11 PM.