Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    In Tomasi's Batman & Robin, Damian was being tutored by a version of Carrie Kelley (for reasons I'll never understand). I think she was teaching him outside of school, though, as she was much older than him.
    She was giving him acting lessons because Damian wanted to know what it was like to be another person and that was it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I don't see the problem. Bruce only sent Damian to the school in Metropolis because he wanted Damian to become friends with Jon. But now Jon isn't going to school anymore and Alfred isn't there anymore to fly Damian to school with a helicopter (plus it would be too expensive).
    So he's sending Damian to a high school in Gotham. You guys are seeing problems where there are none.
    Going to school with Jon made no sense he was 13 and Jon was 10. Was he posing as 10 just to hang out with Jon. No wonder he’s so grumpy, any primary school education level is kinda beneath him but sending him back to 4th grade . No wonder he was so grumpy.

She was giving him acting lessons because Damian wanted to know what it was like to be another person and that was it.
    Made zero sense then , still makes no sense now.

I guess I’m in the minority, but I was disappointed by this. Josh writes a good Damian, but everything else felt off to me. I think it’s the dynamic of Batman and Robin together. I know Damian is straight A type but Bruce almost comes across as the sidekick here imo. An I like that Bruce is trying to be a father and trying to connect, but his voice came across as too passive. This felt more akin to the banter Dick and Damian would’ve had.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post

I guess I’m in the minority, but I was disappointed by this. Josh writes a good Damian, but everything else felt off to me. I think it’s the dynamic of Batman and Robin together. I know Damian is straight A type but Bruce almost comes across as the sidekick here imo. An I like that Bruce is trying to be a father and trying to connect, but his voice came across as too passive. This felt more akin to the banter Dick and Damian would’ve had.
    I had peoblems with Bruce's voice as well also prettypissed that DC has seemingly ignored Dick's role in Damian's life.

I enjoyed this. Thought it was a solid issue. Outside of Bruce's voice been a bit off, I liked most of what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Going to school with Jon made no sense he was 13 and Jon was 10. Was he posing as 10 just to hang out with Jon. No wonder he’s so grumpy, any primary school education level is kinda beneath him but sending him back to 4th grade . No wonder he was so grumpy.
    They actually weren't in the same class, Damian would've been in 7th grade.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I wasn't sure how that worked either since I'm not familiar with American schools. If Damian is old enough for secondary school, then Jon would have to at least 11 to make it into Year 1.
    "Cable was right!"

I guess it's fair to say Damian takes up the brunt of the issue because it's his only spotlight series when Bruce has two, but this doesn't seem like the type of book that needs "hard" Bruce in my opinion. That's usually been what screws up things between him and Damian.
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I had peoblems with Bruce's voice as well also prettypissed that DC has seemingly ignored Dick's role in Damian's life.

I enjoyed this. Thought it was a solid issue. Outside of Bruce's voice been a bit off, I liked most of what we got.
    It's the first issue and re-establishing Bruce and Damian's relationship/dynamic, I think it made sense how they approached it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They actually weren't in the same class, Damian would've been in 7th grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I wasn't sure how that worked either since I'm not familiar with American schools. If Damian is old enough for secondary school, then Jon would have to at least 11 to make it into Year 1.
    Looking back they were together before school, lunch extracurricular and after but never in the same class
    Also I suppose If Jon is 11 he could be in 6th grade and Damian in 7th damain small stature makes everything look okay

Did you even read the book, they weren't in the same grade, god...

Extraordinary Member

I just saw it recapping rebirth the last year 1 1/2 from his first titans team, the tournament, Shadow war, and present. I don’t think dick was ignored they haven’t had any major team ups as of late. I think their arc with seely was the last. (One of my favorites) but we have to remember his two and half year of ric making him unavailable (during a time when Damian could have really used his help) By the time he wakes up Damian is in the wind until the tournament.

Just whining that it "doesn't make sense" without explaining why it doesn't make sense doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

Bruce has several books and Damian none other than this one, letting Bruce take a smaller role compared to Damian makes sense.

Extraordinary Member

Did you even read the book, they weren't in the same grade, god...
    Again that was a while back sorry
    IMG_0425.jpg

I just saw it recapping rebirth the last year 1 1/2 from his first titans team, the tournament, Shadow war, and present. I don’t think dick was ignored they haven’t had any major team ups as of late. I think their arc with seely was the last. (One of my favorites) but we have to remember his two and half year of ric making him unavailable (during a time when Damian could have really used his help) By the time he wakes up Damian is in the wind until the tournament.
    Williamson did ignored Dick's role when recapping Damian's past in Robin 2021. Dick's role was credited to Bruce and Jon of all people.

Just whining that it "doesn't make sense" without explaining why it doesn't make sense doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

Bruce has several books and Damian none other than this one, letting Bruce take a smaller role compared to Damian makes sense.
    Now you know that I didn't think it made sense right? Purpose achieved.

And all good with Damian being the more main character, I just feel like his dynamic with Bruce is off. Its like Batman is either too hard or too controlling or he's too passive. I think its too passive here. I think Tomasi had a better handle on the dynamic even though I didn't like his story choices.

Williamson did ignored Dick's role when recapping Damian's past in Robin 2021. Dick's role was credited to Bruce and Jon of all people.
    I have the same complaint with Williamson. Dick was really the key to turning Damian around and teaching him to become a hero. Not Bruce, it was Dick. I don't think they show Batman expressing that enough and Damian should have a much closer relationship with him than we've seen. I think they had what like one panel before Damian died where their partnership was mentioned. Like come on they both should've been grieving Alfred together.