Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Why can't Marvel make Betty Brant Peter's Love Interest Once Again?

They made Black Cat Parker's love interest(for a time), despite the fact that Felicia should had moved on from Parker a longtime ago. Why can't Betty Brant become Parker's love interest once more? It was so out of character for Nick Spencer to make her reunited with Ned Leeds and have a child together. I feel that the Betty Brant who gave birth to Ned's child is a clone. The Ned Leeds who returned was a clone, as well as Betty Brant(the mother of Ned's child).

With that said, I never understood why Parker's love interest is confined to Black Cat and MJ. It really should be Mary Jane and Betty Brant, which makes for a better dynamic. It would had been nice for once if Marvel had develop an alternate story where Betty Brant and Peter Parker are married...

There was no dynamic between Betty and Ned, nor was Betty and Flash Thompson. Betty and Peter would had been quite interesting if they were married. Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    They made Black Cat Parker's love interest(for a time), despite the fact that Felicia should had moved on from Parker a longtime ago. Why can't Betty Brant become Parker's love interest once more? It was so out of character for Nick Spencer to make her reunited with Ned Leeds and have a child together.
    I don't see why it was out of character for her.
    I agree that Felicia should have moved on from Peter - but so should Betty. She did move on from Peter under Lee and Ditko. Peter / Betty doesn't have much going for it to my mind beyond being a nostalgia pairing.
    But then I'm a diehard Peter/MJ marriage fan.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

They made Black Cat Parker's love interest(for a time), despite the fact that Felicia should had moved on from Parker a long time ago. Why can't Betty Brant become Parker's love interest once more?
    Betty moved on, at the latest (and I'm being real generous), after Wolfman's run ended in 1980, so she's been over Peter even longer than Felicia ever was (in fact, longer than Felecia has even existed!). She literally married another guy instead of Peter in the 70's! Lol.

I think there are a lot of characters Pete could be paired with, but I've never seen Betty as a serious one. They had a bit of the thing early on but it was kid's stuff and they've been close friends ever since.

I do wish Betty was a stronger presence in the book. Peter has in the past said she's like a sister to him and I'd like more of that dynamic.

It would had been nice for once if Marvel had develop an alternate story where Betty Brant and Peter Parker are married...
    That could actually be interesting.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Betty and Peter were never compatible. She broke up with him is because she viewed him as too much of a risk taker. MJ, Black Cat, and even Gwen were all far less of a "traditional" girl than Betty.

That and Betty married in the 70s and she's been off limits since (except for briefly during Wolfman's run).

If Felicia should have moved on from Peter, I don't see how Betty shoudn't have too. And to be fair, I prefer them as friends. Just give Peter a relationship with a woman who is not a love interest, like Teresa. Marvel should stop making everyone fucking everyone.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It was out of character for Nick Spencer to put Betty back with her husband but you want Betty and Peter to hook up when they've been "just friends" for almost 5 decades?

c'mon.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Betty and Peter were never compatible. She broke up with him is because she viewed him as too much of a risk taker. MJ, Black Cat, and even Gwen were all far less of a "traditional" girl than Betty.

That and Betty married in the 70s and she's been off limits since (except for briefly during Wolfman's run).
    The thing is that Betty is no longer married. In some ways, she's like Mary Jane whose love for Parker never left. There was still a lot of potential to make Betty a love interest once again. She did get with Flash Thompson, which was a dumb move. The only other potential could had been Liz Allan, had Marvel not married her off to Harry Osborn and producing a child.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It was out of character for Nick Spencer to put Betty back with her husband but you want Betty and Peter to hook up when they've been "just friends" for almost 5 decades?

c'mon.
    I feel that Betty(who went back to Ned) is a clone as well. What would be nice to see is for either Betty Brant or Mary Jane to be Peter's love interest depending on who gets to write Spider-Man in the future. This way, the writer could choose one of them as a primary love interest for Parker for their Amazing Spider-Man run.

Astonishing Member

The thing is that Betty is no longer married. In some ways, she's like Mary Jane whose love for Parker never left. There was still a lot of potential to make Betty a love interest once again. She did get with Flash Thompson, which was a dumb move. The only other potential could had been Liz Allan, had Marvel not married her off to Harry Osborn and producing a child.
    She still isn't that compatible with Peter, though. For the reasons I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I do wish Betty was a stronger presence in the book. Peter has in the past said she's like a sister to him and I'd like more of that dynamic.
    Well if his barely existent relationship with Teresa is any hint, he just doesn't spend a lot of time with siblings, so they're correctly showing it with Betty .

c'mon.
    One thing I find it funny is that the last time they tried to get Betty with Spidey, it was colossally out of character for her lol.

Betty and Spidey couldn't be together back in Ditko's run because Peter lived a dangerous life, and she didn't want to be with someone like that, when Wolfman brought her back and created that stupid affair, Betty completely drops this problem in the relationship with no explanation, and in fact, she's weirdly non-bitchy to Peter during it, and Betty is a dramatic bitch lol.

Then again considering all the nonsense Ned himself did, and her own reporter carreer where she's basically just Lois Lane-lite sometimes, guess she dropped that **** about not wanting to be in a dangerous life, but still, having her return while completely ignoring this problem in the relationship instead of solving it, while at the same time Wolfman immediately tried to end things between Spidey and MJ in an awkward way (MJ refusing the marriage proposal is fine even without the divorced parents retcon, but the reason given was stupid), yeah, that is some bad soap opera writing, quality, or just fanfiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I feel that Betty(who went back to Ned) is a clone as well. What would be nice to see is for either Betty Brant or Mary Jane to be Peter's love interest depending on who gets to write Spider-Man in the future. This way, the writer could choose one of them as a primary love interest for Parker for their Amazing Spider-Man run.
    How would that even work?
    "Cable was right!"

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well if his barely existent relationship with Teresa is any hint, he just doesn't spend a lot of time with siblings, so they're correctly showing it with Betty .
    I mean, if editorial had done their job and nixed bringing her back we wouldn't have this problem.

Regardless, I don't see how Pete's relationship with his on-again-off-again sister* relates to his bestie who will just disappear for months if not years at a time... Oh, wait, you're dead on! Lol.

*Christ, I'm giving Frank Cho ideas now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Betty is a dramatic bitch.
    How to nail a character in 5 words or less. lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

How would that even work?
    It wouldn't. It's wishful thinking.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I mean, if editorial had done their job and nixed bringing her back we wouldn't have this problem. :P
    We wouldn't have a lot of current problems if they did that .

Regardless, I don't see how Pete's relationship with his on-again-off-again sister* relates to his bestie who will just disappear for months if not years at a time... Oh, wait, you're dead on! Lol.

*Christ, I'm giving Frank Cho ideas now.
    Frank Cho will draw 5000 arts of MJ and/or Felicia complaining about their asses getting fat because of aunt May's wheat cakes before he even considers drawing Teresa lol.

How to nail a character in 5 words or less. lol.
    It's even the focus of a BND issue, where she thinks Peter is gonna do a surprise birthday party for her when she sees him talking with a bunch of people, comes the birthday, Peter shows up alone to watch some movies with her, and when she complains because she expected a party and thought he screwed up again, it turned out the reason there was no party is because every single time she saw him talking with someone, they were refusing to make a party for her, basically saying "Betty is a bitch".

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...32/unknown.png

(ASM#583)

"You're a good person Betty Brant."

(Wish time stamping worked here...).

Unlike plenty of post OMD writing, Betty doing this kind of **** works lol.

This sister talk reminds me of the first episode from 90's Spidey cartoon, where he talks about Debra and says "She's like the little sister I never had... Or wanted", this could really be used to describe his relationship with Betty when she's uh, being less nice than usual, or maybe even being her usual lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It wouldn't. It's wishful thinking.
    So you're saying that it'd be fitting with the current writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Okay, but can Betty at least keep her personally armory?