Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by comictimes View Post
    At the bottom, yes, but at the top you'd expect the few women who didn't "retire" to hold those positions. Not teenage girls.
    Betty's mother had been Jonah's secretary before she got sick. Jonah gave Betty the job out of a fondness for her and her mother, as a way to help her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Betty's mother had been Jonah's secretary before she got sick. Jonah gave Betty the job out of a fondness for her and her mother, as a way to help her.
    That was also Busiek, not Ditko (I'd leave Stan out of this). I don't think that an Randian like him would've given two thoughts about the age difference. It was there in the drawings.

That was also Busiek, not Ditko (I'd leave Stan out of this). I don't think that an Randian like him would've given two thoughts about the age difference. It was there in the drawings.
    The part about her mother was Busiek, but Betty being a high school drop out came originally in the letters column from the sixties. I'm not sure who gets credit for that.

Betty being a high school drop out came originally in the letters column from the sixties. I'm not sure who gets credit for that.
    If it was in the letter column, back at the time, it was Stan.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

The part about her mother was Busiek, but Betty being a high school drop out came originally in the letters column from the sixties. I'm not sure who gets credit for that.
    ...and incidentally, it was established that Betty dropped out of high school to become Jonah's secretary in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 9.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 6.39.22 PM.jpg

kdb

BANNED

Stan butting in on Ditko's creation again. I very much doubt he had anything resembling that dialog in mind when drawing that panel.

But yeah, OK, it's there, it's canon. So she left high school, that doesn't mean she was 15, she could've been 17. So by the time she's making this confession, she could be already over 18. It still looks like too little, compared to how old she looks but, as I said, it's canon.

Mighty Member

The fashions from the early 60s definitely would make Betty seem more mature to a modern audience. Liz, who was canonically Peter's age, really didn't look any younger than Betty.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Stan butting in on Ditko's creation again. I very much doubt he had anything resembling that dialog in mind when drawing that panel.
    Lol at people still determined to handwave (or twist to negative) every contribution Stan Lee made to Spider-Man.

We get it, the dude was a flagrant self-promoter who massively inflated his contributions to the books he ran. Don't make it your entire personality on here. It gets REAL old REAL quick.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    The fashions from the early 60s definitely would make Betty seem more mature to a modern audience. Liz, who was canonically Peter's age, really didn't look any younger than Betty.

Even though that panel is from #25, around Ditko's sweet artistic spot, he never had enough of an ability to show slight differences in age. Most comic-book artist lack in this respect, take Byrne for instance, his children are just small people with broad faces. Still, the way she dressed (not just at work) was more mature than that of Liz (for example.).

But yeah, OK, it's there, it's canon. So she left high school, that doesn't mean she was 15, she could've been 17. So by the time she's making this confession, she could be already over 18. It still looks like too little, compared to how old she looks but, as I said, it's canon.
    I wrote her as a year or two older than Peter. He was 15 when they met, she was 16-17.

kdb

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I wrote her as a year or two older than Peter. He was 15 when they met, she was 16-17.

kdb
    I always read Betty as not only being a bit older than Peter, but a little more mature than him when he started out. She was sort of forced to grow up faster due to her family circumstances. But that could just be me.

Extraordinary Member

I think the main reasons Betty isn't a love interest for Peter is that there isn't enough fan demand for such a relationship.

I imagine that most fans gravitate towards MJ, Black Cat and/or Gwen over Betty. Or they don't care about Spidey-romances or want to see something newer in that aspect.

Betty just doesn't have the appeal to get the love interest role.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb
    Yeah, making the best out of a bad situation. At least you didn't take the letter's column as cannon, which is where she was depicted as younger than Peter.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a Ditko fanatic say Stan did too much when it came to Spider-man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think this is the first time I've ever seen a Ditko fanatic say Stan did too much when it came to Spider-man.
    I'm a fanatic now, OK, nice knowing you.