Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

There is a rumour going around that, due to the events of Beast World, the Titans fall out of favor with the US government and a new Justice League without the Trinity assembles. The ending of Knight Terrors seems to back-up this. Maybe something in the vein Dark Avengers?
    Last edited by Leancarp900; 09-19-2023 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    There is a rumour going around that, due to the events of Beast World, the Titans fall out of favor with the US government and a new Justice League without the Trinity assembles. The ending of Knight Terrors seems to back-up this. Maybe something in the vein Dark Avengers?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Villains - or anti-heroes- masquerading as the heroes? That would be an interesting way to get the real JL to come back.
    If that was the case, wonder who would be the ones impersonating them in name and costume?
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

I think maybe I'd try to do miniseries.

I think there's a dissonance between what the League is supposed to be, and what a monthly schedule demands. The League on a mission, it's supposed to be a big thing right, stuff where everything is truly hanging in the balance. It doesn't take a Crisis Event to get them together, but not too far off. But when that happens every single month? It doesn't feel special or noteworthy and all sense of scale and stakes goes numb. And I think it must be tough, trying to come up with a League worthy threat every month.

But if the League only got together once every 18-24 months for six issues? That's a big deal, an Event unto itself.

So maybe that's what I'd do. The Titans would remain the world's first/last line of defense, with their monthly and as many spin-off's as the market will support (I'd change a lot about that whole situation but that's another conversation). The Leaguers remain active solo heroes with their own book/s of course, but the League as an organization is strictly on a 'as needed' basis, a single mini per year or two, and only operate when the Titans are otherwise occupied, and only at great need.

That might make the League feel like a proper, big deal again. It'll probably sell well because it's not a month-in-month-out offering. Each mini is a shot at an evergreen trade with a self-contained story. And since it's just a mini, the schedule is a lot more forgiving and you've got the time to make it the best it can be.

It'd be important that this not look like the League stepping in to save the Titans, or do what they can't. If the Titans are gonna be the #1 team, they need to be shown as the #1. But the League can still do part time work without stealing the Titans' thunder, if DC writes with half a care.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So maybe that's what I'd do. The Titans would remain the world's first/last line of defense, with their monthly and as many spin-off's as the market will support (I'd change a lot about that whole situation but that's another conversation). The Leaguers remain active solo heroes with their own book/s of course, but the League as an organization is strictly on a 'as needed' basis, a single mini per year or two, and only operate when the Titans are otherwise occupied, and only at great need.

That might make the League feel like a proper, big deal again. It'll probably sell well because it's not a month-in-month-out offering. Each mini is a shot at an evergreen trade with a self-contained story. And since it's just a mini, the schedule is a lot more forgiving and you've got the time to make it the best it can be.
    I like that premise. Having the JL as Big Deal event minis - and have those replace the friggin Crisis events. (and tbh haven't the other stand-alone JL minis always seemed inconsequential compared to the main monthly title?) I disagree about these being divorced from continuity though - I would want the minis to be coordinated enough to fit in with whatever was going on the JL heroes' solo titles and the DCU in general.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-22-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like that premise. Having the JL as Big Deal event minis - and have those replace the friggin Crisis events. (and tbh haven't the other stand-alone JL minis always seemed inconsequential compared to the main monthly title?)
    Yeah, the minis always seemed pointless compared to the monthly, but I think we kinda look at minis that way anyway. Unless it's a big Crisis style Event, a miniseries is viewed by the fans as being less important. At least when you have a ongoing, regular book to compare it to. If the League only showed up in minis though, I think it'd be seen as one of those big deals, rather than a secondary thing.

I disagree about these being divorced from continuity though - I would want the minis to be coordinated enough to fit in with whatever was going on the JL heroes' solo titles and the DCU in general.
    Did I suggest keeping them out of continuity? The thought did cross my mind, as a good way to let the Titans remain #1 without losing the JLA completely, but I didn't think I bothered posting it. Either way, I agree a hypothetical JL mini should be in main canon, and deal with whatever is happening in the solo books and DCU at large.

There is value to Elseworld JL minis, as we've seen with stuff like DCeased and even Injustice (no accounting for taste, I know, but it sold and I think hit 'evergreen' status), but if the only League material we get is a mini once every year or so, then it needs to be main continuity, agreed!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

fun adventures. some on earth. plenty elsewhere. Everyone gets along. No dark secrets and "special plans if somebody goes rogue"... looking at you, rich boy.

rotating members and guests in each arc-

general core:

Firestorm (Rusch/Reynolds); Wonder Woman (Diana), Jakeem Thunder, the Captain/Shazam, Wallace West, Cyborg, Steel, Aquaman, John Stewart.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm really surprised it's taking so long to get a new Justice League book. It's regularly one of DC's best-sellers so you would think they'd be keen to have it on the shelves sooner rather than later. I wonder if they had a creative team locked that subsequently got lost/delayed, that's the only explanation I can think of.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

I would go a route similar to the JLU animated series. You'd have the A plot with a rotating cast of lesser known characters having self contained adventures each issue, while you've got a larger ongoing B plot with the big 7 in the background. The new Justice League would be head up by the big 7 of earth 0 but have members from all over the multiverse similar to Justice Incarnate.
    Last edited by comicstar100; 09-23-2023 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Villains - or anti-heroes- masquerading as the heroes? That would be an interesting way to get the real JL to come back.
    If that was the case, wonder who would be the ones impersonating them in name and costume?
    Tthe Future State Suicide Squad explored that route. And Amanda Waller was the person behind that, so it would not be something out of the field.
    But it would be really funny if that rumour was real and inded a "Villains - or anti-heroes- masquerading as the heroes" is the option taken. Specially now than Marvel dropped what was the core of the Thunderbolts to transform them into the "moviestars" team.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I think maybe I'd try to do miniseries.

I think there's a dissonance between what the League is supposed to be, and what a monthly schedule demands. The League on a mission, it's supposed to be a big thing right, stuff where everything is truly hanging in the balance. It doesn't take a Crisis Event to get them together, but not too far off. But when that happens every single month? It doesn't feel special or noteworthy and all sense of scale and stakes goes numb. And I think it must be tough, trying to come up with a League worthy threat every month.

But if the League only got together once every 18-24 months for six issues? That's a big deal, an Event unto itself.

It'd be important that this not look like the League stepping in to save the Titans, or do what they can't. If the Titans are gonna be the #1 team, they need to be shown as the #1. But the League can still do part time work without stealing the Titans' thunder, if DC writes with half a care.
    It may be out of continuity, but JL vs Godzilla vs Kong might be a good test run of this model

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    It may be out of continuity, but JL vs Godzilla vs Kong might be a good test run of this model
    The idea of the JL as a series of "prestige minis" would have to be exciting like the idea of them facing Godzilla and Kong, or like "Darkseid War" or Alex Ross's "Justice." Less so like "Endless Winter"

Also, speaking of JL/Kong/Zilla, it starts with Clark proposing to Lois. Imagine if these JL minis did something like that - where we actually see something important happen to one of the main characters, but we don't see the full extent of it until it happens in their own title a few months later. (and let's face it - DC has been spoiling Big Events ahead of time anyway as a way to get publicity to sell those books, so why not use the JL title to do it for you?)

Incredible Member

The last Justice League comic I enjoyed was Zdarsky's Last Ride. It wasn't that amazing, but as a self contained mini, it was satisfying.

So, I think that mini-series is what I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The idea of the JL as a series of "prestige minis" would have to be exciting like the idea of them facing Godzilla and Kong, or like "Darkseid War" or Alex Ross's "Justice." Less so like "Endless Winter"
    Or like the filler, run-of-the-mill arcs in the monthly. These mini's would have to be quality, they'd have to be worth squeezing into your budget. You gotta earn that 'prestige' status. And if this is the only place you're really gonna see the League kick ass, and it's semi-biennial at that, you're gonna need to step it up and meet some high expectations.

Also, speaking of JL/Kong/Zilla, it starts with Clark proposing to Lois. Imagine if these JL minis did something like that - where we actually see something important happen to one of the main characters, but we don't see the full extent of it until it happens in their own title a few months later. (and let's face it - DC has been spoiling Big Events ahead of time anyway as a way to get publicity to sell those books, so why not use the JL title to do it for you?)
    That's a fun idea. I like it. I've been thinking of JLA minis like an Avengers movie; capping off a bunch of sub/plots established in the solo titles (or wherever) to wrap up the 'phase.' But introducing new subplots for the solos to pick up? Definitely. And now that I think about it, damn near every Event style story I've read did the same in one way or another.

Can't decide if the Kong-Zilla thing is better off being out of canon, or if it should've been main continuity. Having that in canon would be dope as hell, but treating it like an Elseworld opens up all the doors for crazy shit to happen.

~ Black Panther.

Can't decide if the Kong-Zilla thing is better off being out of canon, or if it should've been main continuity. Having that in canon would be dope as hell, but treating it like an Elseworld opens up all the doors for crazy shit to happen.
    I definitely am hoping for some fun crazy stuff using DCU continuity - heck, give Kong ties to Grodd, or Godzilla ties to the New Gods, etc. but I'm concerned the Elseworlds label will just give them an excuse to kill some heroes in a gruesome manner.