Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #34 Preview

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Yes but I do think MJ has been rinsed more than anyone. I don’t think MJ would have forgotten Peter in a year. It’s believable for pretty much anyone but one of the big appeals of their romance is that they wait for each other. They’re not hot-and-cold like Batman and Catwoman, they’re always hot. But MJ just seems to drop him and move on. She shows no reaction when he returns. Just some cold conversation in a hospital and then she tells him to stop calling her. It’s OOC and pretty tone deaf.
    Again magic chains from the kids and when the left she was still clinging to them as if they were real

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    They haven't destroyed her character, Every character in ASM has been put through the burner
    It is impressive I don’t like a single character in the story anymore as actual people worth rooting for.

Mighty Member

Yes but I do think MJ has been rinsed more than anyone. I don’t think MJ would have forgotten Peter in a year. It’s believable for pretty much anyone but one of the big appeals of their romance is that they wait for each other. They’re not hot-and-cold like Batman and Catwoman, they’re always hot. But MJ just seems to drop him and move on. She shows no reaction when he returns. Just some cold conversation in a hospital and then she tells him to stop calling her. It’s OOC and pretty tone deaf.
    They've been hot and cold since OMD with the exception being Spencer's work. Although yeah this is, without a doubt, the worst the character has ever been written. IMO this is also the worst ASM run ever written. But it's a blip in the grand scheme of 60 years of comics.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 09-19-2023 at 11:57 AM.

Mighty Member

They haven't destroyed her character, Every character in ASM has been put through the burner
    What they've had her do undermines the role MJ is supposed to play in the story more than any other character. It's destructive on a Sins Past level. Only since Gwen was dead it didn't affect things going forward like this does.

Correct.

Again magic chains from the kids and when the left she was still clinging to them as if they were real
    The book hasn't given the chains any power to do that. We keep trying to use them as an excuse, and maybe they will eventually,, but so far they haven't said they do antyhing but tie her to the Emissary, and they've been dead for MONTHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    They've been hot and cold since OMD with the exception being Spencer's work. Although yeah this is, without a doubt, the worst the character has ever been written. IMO this is also the worst ASM run ever written. But it's a blip in the grand scheme of nearly 60 years of comics.
    Not really. They've always come up with an OOC reason for them to not be together, but they never tried to say she didn't love him or wanted someone else besides him. It was that there was an obstacle that prevented her from being with him. Spider-Man (which is dumb but I repeat myself). This is the first time the craziness hasn't bene her excuse, she' just likes Paul more. Because contrivance and OOC forced behavior.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-19-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    You're welcome

And regarding that scene
    spoilers:
    I wonder when the nonsymbiotic costume suddenly can sprout wings and make Spider-man fly.
    end of spoilers
    Looks like spoilers:
    a repaired and retrofitted bug from his goblin costume
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Not really. They've always come up with an OOC reason for them to not be together, but they never tried to say she didn't love him or wanted someone else besides him. It was that there was an obstacle that prevented her from being with him. Spider-Man (which is dumb but I repeat myself). This is the first time the craziness hasn't bene her excuse, she' just likes Paul more. Because contrivance and OOC forced behavior.
    Didn't MJ reject Peter after Superior for Pedro or whoever because she couldn't deal with the Spider-man stuff anymore? Because he rescued her when Peter didnt or some crap? The BND crew having been doing this song and dance with MJ since OMD. This is just the most egregious attempt at it. But also absurd enough that it can be pretty easily retconned. I don't think it's anything worth getting that worked up over.

BANNED

They've been hot and cold since OMD with the exception being Spencer's work. Although yeah this is, without a doubt, the worst the character has ever been written. IMO this is also the worst ASM run ever written. But it's a blip in the grand scheme of 60 years of comics.
    They weren’t hot and cold. The spark was always there. She was jealous of Carlie, she whispers I love you in Spider-Island, they go on several dates at the start of Superior, she feels terrible about being Tony’s plus one to the Parker Enterprises gala even if it was professional. There’s plenty on the page that they were never cold on each other. They just never worked it out until Quesada said his ego was finally ok with it.

They weren’t hot and cold. The spark was always there. She was jealous of Carlie, she whispers I love you in Spider-Island, they go on several dates at the start of Superior, she feels terrible about being Tony’s plus one to the Parker Enterprises gala even if it was professional. There’s plenty on the page that they were never cold on each other. They just never worked it out until Quesada said his ego was finally ok with it.
    Poiting out again this is the BND last ride and Peter and MJ will be together again. It's a blip more than anything

BANNED

Poiting out again this is the BND last ride and Peter and MJ will be together again. It's a blip more than anything
    I’d like to believe that. It would be nice.

I’d like to believe that. It would be nice.
    Who is left really?

Mighty Member

Depends how you define spark and hot and cold. But there was often some contrived OOC reason for MJ deciding to break things off with Peter whether it was Peter being Spider-man or Pedro or whatnot. MJ's characterization was consistently thrown under the bus to accommodate a status quo of them not being together. The exact same shtick is happening here but to an even more egregious extent. Here we literally don't know how MJ feels about Paul or Peter or whomever because that part hasn't even been written yet. She's just a prop to accommodate the status quo that Wells prefers to write about.

Mighty Member

Didn't MJ reject Peter after Superior for Pedro or whoever because she couldn't deal with the Spider-man stuff anymore? Because he rescued her when Peter didnt or some crap? The BND crew having been doing this song and dance with MJ since OMD. This is just the most egregious attempt at it. But also absurd enough that it can be pretty easily retconned. I don't think it's anything worth getting that worked up over.
    Yes but again that's the same OMIT crap. SHe can't handle him being Spider-Man and the craziness it brings. It's not that she doesn't want to be with him, it's that she doesn't want to deal with the baggage. It's also OOC, but it's just way less severe of a thing to have her do, only making her weak, not undermining her feelings and our ability to trust those feelings.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-19-2023 at 06:42 PM.

Mighty Member

Who is left really?
    Cebulski. Brevoort. Lowe. The people with the power don't care. The people with the most seniority and power in the company over the property. Like unless Buckley has a weird change of heart or Feige decides he's going to pay attention to the comic division all the people with Power are fully on board with OMD forever and this terrible run. Why should we believe things will change?

Depends how you define spark and hot and cold. But there was often some contrived OOC reason for MJ deciding to break things off with Peter whether it was Peter being Spider-man or Pedro or whatnot. MJ's characterization was consistently thrown under the bus to accommodate a status quo of them not being together. The exact same shtick is happening here but to an even more egregious extent. Here we literally don't know how MJ feels about Paul or Peter or whomever because that part hasn't even been written yet. She's just a prop to accommodate the status quo that Wells prefers to write about.
    This is largely true, but I think what we're saying is that this feels like a new avenue of attack that has far more far reaching implications. Her being scared of his Spider-Man stuff is stupid, but like, she can just change her mind. No big deal. With this, her words become meaningless because her actions are what have spoken for her and her actions are BAAAAAAAD. You can't really take them back either. You can only retcon them, and like I said, who's doing that? Who's letting it happen even?
    Last edited by Xenon; 09-19-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Cebulski. Brevoort. Lowe. The people with the power don't care. The people with the most seniority and power in the company over the property. Like unless Buckley has a weird change of heart or Feige decides he's going to pay attention to the comic division all the people with Power are fully on board with OMD forever and this terrible run. Why should we believe things will change

This is largely true, but I think what we're saying is that this feels like a new avenue of attack that has far more far reaching implications. Her being scared of his Spider-Man stuff is stupid, but like, she can just change her mind. No big deal. With this, her words become meaningless because her actions are what have spoken for her and her actions are BAAAAAAAD. You can't really take them back either. You can only retcon them, and like I said, who's doing that? Who's letting it happen even?
    There's a shuffle going to happen soon

Yeah but will it be credible? This is all such an aberration. ‘Lol remember that time I blew up civilian cars as the Spider-Goblin?’ ‘Lol yeah I remember.’ ‘Lol.’ ‘Lol.’ ‘I love being Spider-Man!’ *swings off into Manhattan*

This should have been an AU.
    the civilians got insurance they should expect it
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy