Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: ASM #34 Preview

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll say. It's basically Pedro 2.0 or worse.

I guess the Jackpot mini will be a good chance to develop his character and relationship with MJ but that might be damning the whole mini in the process because of how little anyone cares about it.
    Depends on if he's still around. Gang war could be the out

I guess the Jackpot mini will be a good chance to develop his character and relationship with MJ but that might be damning the whole mini in the process because of how little anyone cares about it.
    That horse is already out of the barn.

And three counties away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It's the first one
    I wish I have your calm and positivism.

Pedro wasn't half as bad as this guy. I didn't even care he was around, he didn't appear that much. Paul is present every fucking chapter in this run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    Pedro wasn't half as bad as this guy. I didn't even care he was around, he didn't appear that much. Paul is present every fucking chapter in this run.
    Pedro just felt like a filler plotline for MJ while Otto was possessing Peter and he was very off-page. Superior was also good enough that you couldn't take your eyes off Peter/Otto. Night and day to Wells' run.

Anybody reading Peter's dialogue in this voice?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk-HPBF6Mw
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Depends on if he's still around. Gang war could be the out
    I doubt it if only because it would involve Wells writing more than the bare minimum of MJ I expect in that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Pedro just felt like a filler plotline for MJ while Otto was possessing Peter and he was very off-page. Superior was also good enough that you couldn't take your eyes off Peter/Otto. Night and day to Wells' run.
    It still made MJ look kind of bad. She suddenly doesn't want anything to do with Peter but she shacks up with a firefighter who does close to the same thing he does on a daily basis (with an equivalent name) after he saved her during an OOC damsel in distress moment?

Mighty Member

I doubt it if only because it would involve Wells writing more than the bare minimum of MJ I expect in that story.

It still made MJ look kind of bad. She suddenly doesn't want anything to do with Peter but she shacks up with a firefighter who does close to the same thing he does on a daily basis (with an equivalent name) after he saved her during an OOC damsel in distress moment?
    Plus, she did not notice anything different about Peter ad his body was controlled by doc ock.

But then off screes gets her own club. its just up to the writer and that's all people or hung up on

I wouldn't be surprise if AMS ·1000 is about MJ got pregnant by Paul for real this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    I wouldn't be surprise if AMS ·1000 is about MJ got pregnant by Paul for real this time.
    Paul isn't making it past this run

BANNED

he f---- better not

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I think that note was more about how to present the character. That they were trying to create a romantic rival for Peter, but one the readers liked in spite of themselves.

It just didn't work out.
    It’s so funny that they thought that would work considering the absolute nothing they did to flesh out his character

Did they explain why he had so much money that he could just drop a big down payment on Peter’s debts near the beginning of this series considering he came from dead hell world and really shouldn’t be able to have a job in this world?

Mighty Member

None of that is true. You're literally making things up and Peter has been treated much worse. When they get back together none of this will matter
    and your argument on things changes daily
    I think I've been pretty consistent with my criticism, but i must admit how I see thing going my mind is all over the place depending on how little hope I have in it that day, lol. And this is bad in such a way there are lots of ways to attack it.

But this absolutely matters until it's dealt with. SHe's completely untrustworthy as a partner if she left Peter for Paul as Lowe says she did. She's completely unspecial at that point, as Peter means nothing more than convenience to her. It has to be undone.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Whew. The Debbie Downers are going extra on the downing lately!
    What can I say I was in a mood yesterday. Every MJ issue makes me doubt things willl ever be better.

I think Spider-Man beating up or even intimidating his ex's boyfriend is an issue. That is probably the epitome of toxic masculinity.
    It is if he's in his right mind, for sure. Even if he has a right to be mad at MJ and even Paul ultimately it's her decision and he has to abide by it.

Let's break this down.

In Issue 33 Spider-Man--hero and role models to 10 year olds everywhere Spider-Man--gave a mentally unstable individual a gun and told him to kill himself.

In Issue 34 Spider-Man--hero and role model to 10 year olds everywhere--blew up innocent civilians in their cars under the East River and hunted down his ex girlfriend's new boyfriend because he presumably sees her as his property.

Getting revenge on a supervillain is perhaps understandable given that all they do is fight. 'Getting revenge' on your ex's new boyfriend is a different category.
    I mean it's definitely more evil than his other things, but then I think Wells has him jump the shark with the wholesale bombing of civlians. Honestly at this point it's weird that he hasn't killed people.

ok dr evil
    But we are also getting every issue with a JRSR remembrance which is wonderful thing, but while this Paul thing going on every opening has the big picture of Peter and MJ's wedding lol
    Wait really? Lol. Just....lol. They're clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I think that note was more about how to present the character. That they were trying to create a romantic rival for Peter, but one the readers liked in spite of themselves.

It just didn't work out.
    I was being sloppy, but I don't think this changes my general point. It's delusional to believe any character in that position would be liked. It's a total non-starter and that he thought it wasn't a non-starter and liking him was possible is madness.

I don't know why they think we want to see people get with Spider-Man's wife. Like yeah technically she's not that in teh continuity. But that doesn't matter. It's the same insanity as Superman #1 back in the new 52. Even if you wanted to break up Lois and Clark, why would you introduce it that way? It's like you're trying to fail.

Paul is probably the most hated character in comics today. He won't be important long term, but he would probably win a poll at this point. Which puts them in an impossible position (as bad storylines often do). If they push and develop him no one will want to touch it, and if they ignore him he comes off as this non-entity that just exists to block Peter. Which he is. Honestly at this point they can't even really develop him. If they give him good traits people will just reject it because of how hated he already is, like they're trying to gary stu him.

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    I wish I have your calm and positivism.

How it started dooms Paul forever. He just represents MJ's loss of faith and betrayal. There is no recovering from that.

I think you're right that MJ will be largely absent from the GAng War and just a small presence. Feels like he throws her in every two or three storylines to keep outrage going and then tells the things he actually wnats to do in between.

The point that MJ's choice was so similar I'm sure Slott meant to be cute but yeah it does feel kind of dumb.

I mean, if you live in the Marvel universe is there really any escaping the crazy? Especially if you live in NYC? Like I think you just kind of have to accept that your life is crazy if you live there.

BANNED

It doesn't make any sense, it's true. She doesn't want to be a cops wife because 'you might never come home,' but then gets together with a firefighter who might never leave the building. It was dumb.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    oooo and I thought I had gotten as low as I could when I realized they probably were gonna get engaged. Thanks, Satan!

I used to believe this strongly and now I realize that I have no faith in even this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    It’s so funny that they thought that would work considering the absolute nothing they did to flesh out his character

Did they explain why he had so much money that he could just drop a big down payment on Peter’s debts near the beginning of this series considering he came from dead hell world and really shouldn’t be able to have a job in this world?
    He spent MJ's money. Lol.

It's amazing how bad the first twenty issues are after Dead Language. Dropped plots and radically changed ones and character moments that seemed important but now mean literally nothing. What was Paul going to see Peter to talk about in 3 anyway? Never comes up again.