Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #34 Preview

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Peter's part in it is effectively over. He fought Wayep which left MJ was trapped in another dimension, Pete rescued her and then helped defeat Rabin when he in turn came for MJ.

That's Peter's story.

Ms Marvel is the one who needs to get her own win over Rabin as the entity that killed her, but that's her story. If she is now somehow tethered to Rabin and asks for Peter's help, then fantastic, but Peter's plotline in ASM concluded.
    Wayep still wants to kill Spider-Man though. Why would he give up?

And if the ending is Wayep, and the Tombstone stuff is over in Gang War stuff with ~15 issues left, what's in the last three trades? What's the finale?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post

And if the ending is Wayep, and the Tombstone stuff is over in Gang War stuff with ~15 issues left, what's in the last three trades? What's the finale?
    One more Chasm story and a Norman / Green Goblin one

Peter and MJ vs. Ben and Janine.

Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin.

Wayep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    One more Chasm story and a Norman / Green Goblin one
    What a weird run. At least Wayep would sandwich the whole thing together with appearances at the beginning, middle and end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Wayep.
    Ug I've had enough of Wayep to last me a lifetime. Not only do I not like his writing, I don't like his character creations either.

I never need to see Wayep again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On the other hand: I need to never see Wayep again

The funny thing about Wayep is that I had liked that mini arc with Wolverine. I always remember the last page with Peter giving his last bucks to the homeless guy who helped him previously. Now I hate him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Paul probably just leaves the book. We'll get a Peter and Felicia situation again but reverse. Paul just wants a normal life but MJ can't let the city burn. So she has to choose either stay with him or go out and protect the city with Peter. Which after whatever happens this arc could make Paul be afraid of Peter
    He made her the suit and the watch he has no issues.. It's not gonna be that quiet. Hell I'm starting to wonder if it'll be at all or he will leave it to the next guy.

I think Wayep needs an Emissary and there's only person who can become that. I think there's a connection of symbology seducing people, which is why ancient civilizations went extinct shortly after discovering it. i.e., they didn't stop using it like Paul thinks in 24-26, they all wiped themselves out.

I think he has to go permanently, personally. I can see Editorial holding on to him for cynical reasons, that having MJ's ex occasionally kick around would lead into their enrage=engage strategy. But I just can't see that as a good idea.
    I mean the problem is that he can't be her ex for her to be fixed. Her willingly getting into a relationship with him in the huge OOC problem that make her completely untrustworthy and would make Peter a joke if he got back with her. So either she's a fake in which case he's the guy that trapped her, she's being mind controlled, in whch case he's her abuser, or they aren't actually together but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Or, again, they don't know how badly they've destroyed her and this is an albatross she'll wear for years. Oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    See, here's my thing with that.

Ms Marvel defeated Rabin by pretending to be MJ. MJ was saved. That was the Peter' win in this story, as that was his goal.

It had a cost (if you can call Kamala being dead for 5 minutes a cost) but Peter's part in it is effectively over. He fought Wayep which left MJ was trapped in another dimension, Pete rescued her and then helped defeat Rabin when he in turn came for MJ.

That's Peter's story.

Ms Marvel is the one who needs to get her own win over Rabin as the entity that killed her, but that's her story. If she is now somehow tethered to Rabin and asks for Peter's help, then fantastic, but Peter's plotline in ASM concluded.

It actually works better if Kamala asks for MJ's help, because she's now got powers and it is they who Rabin/Wayep wronged, and those two get their victory over Rabin.

Unless the battle is to somehow make the last few years not happen, where are Peter's stakes in this (outside of protecting MJ, who is better served protecting herself)? And if Peter knows that is at stake, he'd sure as hell better consult MJ before moving forward as altering the timeline for his own benefit after her repeatedly choosing Paul over him is all kinds of wrong.
    I'm sorry I'm going to hard disagree there. Ms. Marvel is the one that "won" by tricking the Emissary into kllling her instead of the real MJ. Peter did absolutely nothing. Ms. Marvel show up on her own to the fight and comes up with the idea on her own (well not to die but to distract). If Peter stays home that day literally nothing about the fight changes. In no way is that a "win".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Wayep.
    Plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    On the other hand: I need to never see Wayep again
    I don't need Wayep, I just think that whatever terrible resolution Wells is planning will involve that stuff one more time. Unless, like I alluded to earlier, they surprise me and just don't get rid of Paul. And pretend like that's something that will go forward. I honestly have such little faith in their capabilities right now that all I can think is that i haven't been thinking of terrible enough possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I honestly have such little faith in their capabilities right now that all I can think is that i haven't been thinking of terrible enough possibilities.
    NOw you're getting closer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Or, again, they don't know how badly they've destroyed her and this is an albatross she'll wear for years. Oh boy.
    Oh they have no idea at all. They just don't get it. The candle that MJ carried for Peter has possibly been snuffed out, and you can't retcon an extinguished candle back into an eternal flame, unless they tell a story that it wasn't and she was trapped/brainwashed, which is problematic. There are permanent changes to the lore from any run and, given that Peter's love life is meant to be part of his character and Marvel constantly bleats about 'she's his endgame', Wells has trodden on a nuclear landmine. He says 'lol it's fine someone will retcon this' but he has no idea how wrong he is.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Oh they have no idea at all. They just don't get it. The candle that MJ carried for Peter has possibly been snuffed out, and you can't retcon an extinguished candle back into an eternal flame, unless they tell a story that it wasn't and she was trapped/brainwashed, which is problematic. There are permanent changes to the lore from any run and, given that Peter's love life is meant to be part of his character and Marvel constantly bleats about 'she's his endgame', Wells has trodden on a nuclear landmine. He says 'lol it's fine someone will retcon this' but he has no idea how wrong he is.
    You're thinking way too hard about that dude. This all easily fixable. It's comic books and nothing in this run is unfixable. It only takes a single issue to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    But that's the thing. Peter is supposed to have NORMAN'S sins, not be the flanderized version we usually see when Peter has the Venom symbiote and the symbiote enhances PETER'S sins/anger/what have you. Peter should be acting like Norman - power-hungry and venally greedy and proud. The Green Goblin serum is what caused Norman's mental health to snap, not his sins (and apparently Norman still has the serum inside him) so Peter should also be rational.

Of course, if we go off what happened to Kafka, Peter should also be a scaly red demon, but asking for this run to have internal logic and consistency is like asking for a slice of green cheese taken from the moon on your sandwich at the deli - it's an impossible outlandish request.
    Okay, lemme see if I understand correctly, Spidey has Norman's sins now? Are they just make it pinball among other characters now? Is aunt May next? Or did she get 'em already?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    You're thinking way too hard about that dude. This all easily fixable. It's comic books and nothing in this run is unfixable. It only takes a single issue to fix it
    We all enjoy it for different reasons, man.

I think one-panel retcons/fixes are cheap, even if it's what I want to see. When Spencer put Peter and MJ back together and she says 'we've always been in this together,' it was big 'I'll allow it' energy.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

We all enjoy it for different reasons, man.

I think one-panel retcons/fixes are cheap, even if it's what I want to see. When Spencer put Peter and MJ back together and she says 'we've always been in this together,' it was big 'I'll allow it' energy.
    Beggars can't be choosers and it seems we're getting the easiest way out for these stories. Felicia dumps Peter after doing nothing for almost a year, the kids disappear in a single panel. Kamala is back and a mutant a month after her death. (which her mutant power still hasn't be reveal btw) Norman will get his sins back and we'll get Peter and MJ back together just like that. It's a bad 100 episode Naruto filler run until the next team(s) takes over. We can complain about it and we'll go back to status quo which is Peter and MJ together and Peter still looking for a job.
    It's like they say a Spidey run defines by a story and how the romance is done and this is a poor example of a run.
    You can have the satellite titles with no romance and it be decent. Used to have both, but that's fine.
    Big difference from Spidey from now and 15 years ago. You have almost a dozen regular spidey characters around and don't have to rely on a run with just Peter and his cast. The problem is them actually using that cast