Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 348

Thread: ASM #34 Preview

  1. #166
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Oh they have no idea at all. They just don't get it. The candle that MJ carried for Peter has possibly been snuffed out, and you can't retcon an extinguished candle back into an eternal flame, unless they tell a story that it wasn't and she was trapped/brainwashed, which is problematic. There are permanent changes to the lore from any run and, given that Peter's love life is meant to be part of his character and Marvel constantly bleats about 'she's his endgame', Wells has trodden on a nuclear landmine. He says 'lol it's fine someone will retcon this' but he has no idea how wrong he is.
    There's always a way. It might be stupid but the double edged sword is that there is always away. Even against good taste.

    That said, I always believe that most people want to do right, they want to do a good job. Doesn't mean it always happens. And things are a lot smoother if the people that made the mess clean it up (of course, they have to do it right). I think there's a part of me that can't completely give up the idea that they will clean up their own mess or at least stop making it worse. But today, at least, that position seems foolhardy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    You're thinking way too hard about that dude. This all easily fixable. It's comic books and nothing in this run is unfixable. It only takes a single issue to fix it
    It's not a question of ability it's a question of proper identification of problems and will. Both of which they seem to lack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Okay, lemme see if I understand correctly, Spidey has Norman's sins now? Are they just make it pinball among other characters now? Is aunt May next? Or did she get 'em already?
    No just QG, the spear, and now Peter. Unless Wells surprises me they're going back into Norman by the end of 35.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    We all enjoy it for different reasons, man.

    I think one-panel retcons/fixes are cheap, even if it's what I want to see. When Spencer put Peter and MJ back together and she says 'we've always been in this together,' it was big 'I'll allow it' energy.
    to be fair, he did go back in later issues and have them talk about the issues a bit, lol.

    But I agree with this, it's why I tortured myself in the middle of DL thinking of ways to salvage it and make it not terrible and into some real story or a tragedy. Ideally you can take a bad story and find a good story in fixing it. But as the story sinks in quality and increases in lore damage my standards get lower and lower. And this thing it to the point I'd accept an apology page and a unexplained reset we're so far down.

  2. #167
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Beggars can't be choosers and it seems we're getting the easiest way out for these stories. Felicia dumps Peter after doing nothing for almost a year, the kids disappear in a single panel. Kamala is back and a mutant a month after her death. (which her mutant power still hasn't be reveal btw) Norman will get his sins back and we'll get Peter and MJ back together just like that. It's a bad 100 episode Naruto filler run until the next team(s) takes over. We can complain about it and we'll go back to status quo which is Peter and MJ together and Peter still looking for a job.
    It's like they say a Spidey run defines by a story and how the romance is done and this is a poor example of a run.
    You can have the satellite titles with no romance and it be decent. Used to have both, but that's fine.
    Big difference from Spidey from now and 15 years ago. You have almost a dozen regular spidey characters around and don't have to rely on a run with just Peter and his cast. The problem is them actually using that cast
    Sadly you're probably right but at this point I'd settle for at least MJ being under a spell and Emissary Paul being eaten by Wayep. I'm not asking much at this stage.

  3. #168
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Sadly you're probably right but at this point I'd settle for at least MJ being under a spell and Emissary Paul being eaten by Wayep. I'm not asking much at this stage.
    MJ is the Lois Lane and Selina Kyle of the Marvel comics. Every adaption in media has MJ pretty much. When you're the default character that brings haters and fans. People will talk way more about her than Felicia and Gwen.
    When Felicia got with Peter this run. The fan flare was minimal at best and mostly from people excited from the game, but there wasn't much there and the usage of her character was just a cameo. Even the backup for ASM 25 at the friends wedding Felicia was written as if she was MJ. In fact for any girl to work with Peter they were written almost if they were MJ but failed. Even Gwen won't work in the modern run thanks to Spider-Gwen. Too much money and merchandising for her has made that clear. It's all cynically. We'll get Peter and MJ together again soon.
    But if you want a better example. Look at any AU Peter. How many have they had him get with Gwen or Felicia. Can count on one hand for those. The rest it's MJ

  4. #169
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    MJ is the Lois Lane and Selina Kyle of the Marvel comics. Every adaption in media has MJ pretty much. When you're the default character that brings haters and fans. People will talk way more about her than Felicia and Gwen.
    When Felicia got with Peter this run. The fan flare was minimal at best and mostly from people excited from the game, but there wasn't much there and the usage of her character was just a cameo. Even the backup for ASM 25 at the friends wedding Felicia was written as if she was MJ. In fact for any girl to work with Peter they were written almost if they were MJ but failed. Even Gwen won't work in the modern run thanks to Spider-Gwen. Too much money and merchandising for her has made that clear. It's all cynically. We'll get Peter and MJ together again soon.
    But if you want a better example. Look at any AU Peter. How many have they had him get with Gwen or Felicia. Can count on one hand for those. The rest it's MJ
    I agree with all that but Editorial doesn't care and I do think that the current story is an attempt to take the veneer of their romance.

  5. #170
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    I agree with all that but Editorial doesn't care and I do think that the current story is an attempt to take the veneer of their romance.
    That may have been the attempt at the beginning but now there's clear backtracking. Plus even Wells said he's going to fix it all in year 2. Which isn't much. Norman going green again. Chasm arc. Rek rap appearance. MJ and Peter get back together. That's doable with the remaining arcs

  6. #171
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    That may have been the attempt at the beginning but now there's clear backtracking. Plus even Wells said he's going to fix it all in year 2. Which isn't much. Norman going green again. Chasm arc. Rek rap appearance. MJ and Peter get back together. That's doable with the remaining arcs
    It’s definitely doable but I don’t think it will be good.

  7. #172
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Itís definitely doable but I donít think it will be good.
    What in this run has been good so far?

  8. #173
    Fantastic Member Lairston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    What in this run has been good so far?
    There's less issues remaining then have been published.

  9. #174
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    There's less issues remaining then have been published.
    When the gang war ends there are 3-4 arcs left

  10. #175
    Fantastic Member Lairston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    When the gang war ends there are 3-4 arcs left
    And the depression begins to hit since that's 3-4 too many.

  11. #176
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    And the depression begins to hit since that's 3-4 too many.
    Begins? That’s more resilient than most.

  12. #177
    Extraordinary Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    It’s definitely doable but I don’t think it will be good.
    does it really matter though as long as it put back together?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

    "I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

    "My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

  13. #178
    Fantastic Member Lairston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Begins? That’s more resilient than most.
    Good catch. Reasserts would be better. I was momentarily feeling better about their being less issues ahead then behind

  14. #179
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    does it really matter though as long as it put back together?
    I would just like value for money.

  15. #180
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    does it really matter though as long as it put back together?
    This has always been my big concern that they won't really put it back together and will leave certain characters forever partially broken.

    Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    I would just like value for money.
    Oh we're not spending money on this at this point, lol. I gave them 26 issues to sort their **** and that was 26 too many it turned out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    Good catch. Reasserts would be better. I was momentarily feeling better about their being less issues ahead then behind
    I mean even thoguh there's a lot of arcs left almost nothing will happen in them at least. Think how much damage he could do if he didn't write so decompressed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •