Default Do you expect much to come from the public domain in the coming decades?

A lot of the cultural icons we love today were created in the early 20th century and are coming into public domain over the next couple of decades. But do you have any expectations or hopes that public domain status of so many characters will see a creative re-imagining or breakout hit? Or do you expect not much will come of it? Looking at Winnie the Pooh's public domain status now and how that's only translated into a gory slasher film of all things, I'm personally kind of meh on public domain. I don't want to be, I love the idea and concept of public domain for society, but I just don't see the interest or effort put into any public domain characters other than Sherlock Holmes and Dracula, or another version of A Christmas Carol come the holidays. That's it, and honestly the only Sherlock product of the last decade I can truly say I loved was Mr. Holmes (sorry Cumberbatch fans!). I just kind of look at how it seems the public domain is sort of largely a waste right now outside of a very select few characters, of how some recent characters have been treated since falling into public domain, and I don't know, it's kind of throwing a large shadow over what's supposed to be a grand public good you know? Anyways, would love to hear some other thoughts and opinions on this, if anyone is looking forward to any upcoming IP going public domain this decade, and what current public domain character/s you wish would get a spotlight in a film or series.

Well dc comics fables is now public domain!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/bill...ill-dc-do-now/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well dc comics fables is now public domain!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/bill...ill-dc-do-now/
    Do you have hope anything will come of it though? Do you think we'll see any creative use of this in film or tv? Or just any use at all? Kind of what I'm getting here - feels like we're cheering the fact that things fall into public domain, but how often outside another Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, or occasionally A Christmas Carol movie do we actually see anything come of it?

After pooh blood and honey and the upcoming bambi horror film. Nope.

As for other pd getting used--wizard of oz and alice in wonderland has been used alot in movies and shows.

I remember there was a ton of fairy tale movies in the mix a few years ago. So I could see public domain works being the next big trend. It would be an extension of the reboot/spinoff trend we have.

For example, we might get more works like "Nick" by Michael Farris Smith, a prequel to the great Gatsby about Nick who narrated the original novel.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53369483-nick
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-15-2023 at 12:04 PM.