Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It looks like DC still has the rights to publish the books and the stories. Willingham gave up his rights. How does this hurt DC? they will still go after anyone that tries to use the ideas .

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    It looks like DC still has the rights to publish the books and the stories. Willingham gave up his rights. How does this hurt DC? they will still go after anyone that tries to use the ideas .
    It's a whole can of worms now you have someone saying something is public domain and it isn't and now god knows who may try to publish new fables comics or make a movie or something because they think it's public domain basically its unnecessary Cort drama and a waste of dc time and money that's why it hurts.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I have a tremendous amount of respect towards Bill Willingham for this decision, even if DC is going to sue anyone who tries to make a public domain Fables comic into oblivion.

The way comic book publishers treat creators is beyond fucked up, especially when it comes to ownership and royalties in Willingham's case.

I think the two biggest takeaways from this situation is:

1. It is a very bad idea to have your "creator owned" comic published by Marvel or DC.
    2. You have to be extremely careful not to have publishers take advantage of you as a creator. I've always wanted to become a comic book writer and artist, but hearing horror stories such as this and the closure of Aftershock, I'll probably just stick to self publishing my work.

Invincible Member

It's good in the sense it's got people talking about contracts and how the Big 2 sometimes treat their creators, but yeah...pretty sure Bill can't just declare the IP public domain and make it so. If he could, he probably could have just taken it to another company that treated him better which clearly he can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's good in the sense it's got people talking about contracts and how the Big 2 sometimes treat their creators, but yeah...pretty sure Bill can't just declare the IP public domain and make it so. If he could, he probably could have just taken it to another company that treated him better which clearly he can't.
    This reminds me of Michael Scott Declareing Bankruptcy by yelling “I Declare Bankruptcy! Lol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I have a tremendous amount of respect towards Bill Willingham for this decision, even if DC is going to sue anyone who tries to make a public domain Fables comic into oblivion.

The way comic book publishers treat creators is beyond fucked up, especially when it comes to ownership and royalties in Willingham's case.

I think the two biggest takeaways from this situation is:

1. It is a very bad idea to have your "creator owned" comic published by Marvel or DC.
    2. You have to be extremely careful not to have publishers take advantage of you as a creator. I've always wanted to become a comic book writer and artist, but hearing horror stories such as this and the closure of Aftershock, I'll probably just stick to self publishing my work.
    Exactly.

For creator owned work, the big two aren't the place to be. Full stop.

Part of what killed Vertigo was seeing what Image has done and most creators would rather take the Image-type deals than experience the nonsense with the big two.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    My read is that he doesn't WANT to use it himself.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    My read is that he doesn't WANT to use it himself.
    He doesn't if he has to deal with DC...

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    This reminds me of Michael Scott Declareing Bankruptcy by yelling “I Declare Bankruptcy! Lol
    I know, right?

Pretty sure something isn't public domain just because you say it is.
    According to an article titled "What Is the Public Domain?" on the Cornell University Library site, "The creator may also decide before the expiration of copyright to dedicate the work to the public domain, giving that new creation to the public to use." So, yes, something is public domain just because you say it is, assuming you're the copyright holder.

Incredible Member

That's the problem with niche IPs. Corporations tend to micromanage them into the ground on one hand, and ignoring their potential on the other. STAR WARS is a perfect example of this. When allowed to flourish organically, you get Season 1 of THE MANADALORIAN. Otherwise? You get Season 1 of THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT.

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    According to an article titled "What Is the Public Domain?" on the Cornell University Library site, "The creator may also decide before the expiration of copyright to dedicate the work to the public domain, giving that new creation to the public to use." So, yes, something is public domain just because you say it is, assuming you're the copyright holder.
    Of course you can make something public domain if you are the owner that not the question here what is the question is how do you do that? There has to be more to it then just a post say such and such is now public domain how would anyone know they are truly protected against a future copyright claim? Before anyone would put money towards a future fables comics movie tv show etc I would want some kinda paperwork to make showing its public domain before I put millions into a project I mean what's to stop them from revoking it as public domain in the future?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    jesus.

i swear to the gods that people have completely lost the plot.

don't they realize this type of behavior affects everyone including their favorite liberal blue haired author as well.
    Boy, regurgitating that weird conservative fixation with blue hair sure helps your point.

Of course you can make something public domain if you are the owner that not the question here what is the question is how do you do that? There has to be more to it then just a post say such and such is now public domain how would anyone know they are truly protected against a future copyright claim? Before anyone would put money towards a future fables comics movie tv show etc I would want some kinda paperwork to make showing its public domain before I put millions into a project I mean what's to stop them from revoking it as public domain in the future?
    LegalZoom says it's as easy as publicly stating "This work is in the public domain." Also, once a creator releases a work into public domain, they cannot revoke it; it's public domain from then on.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Its an award winning brand. Studios do it all the time. Hello Percy Jackson. WB has owned DC for ages and could've done it.
    Percy Jackson is more recent to the public memory and was a best selling series throughout the 2010s.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?