Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She isn't a Blitzer in majority of her fights. She didn't have any trouble with any of them nor did i say she would.
    Same goes for superman. And in many cases, it is only because the plot is holding them back.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Same goes for superman. And in many cases, it is only because the plot is holding them back.
    Nice to see you agree but not blitzing isn't holding someone back.

1 second battles are never fun.

I don't know how someone could look at that scene with the soldiers and come away thinking Diana a) was in any form of danger or b) that Tom King considers her far weaker than Superman.

She dominated the soldiers with ease. If she didn't do it fast enough, it's likely because she didn't deem it necessary to bulldozer mere mortals (y'know, like a certain divisive scene in a certain Justice League movie by a certain director)...even with the their special super-bullets that can "cut through even Amazon steel."
    She also knew the sniper was targeting her from the start. He posed no threat to her whatsoever.

It was a showcase sequence to demonstrate Diana is miles out of these guys' league. And catharsis showing her put these pricks in their place after we spent half the comic watching them abuse and murder innocent people. She was not in peril. She was not challenged.
    So, no, it doesn't prove why she shouldn't be bullet proof (and again, these weren't even normal bullets being fired at her) or suggest where she stands power-wise compared to Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I don't know how someone could look at that scene with the soldiers and come away thinking Diana a) was in any form of danger or b) that Tom King considers her far weaker than Superman.

She dominated the soldiers with ease. If she didn't do it fast enough, it's likely because she didn't deem it necessary to bulldozer mere mortals (y'know, like a certain divisive scene in a certain Justice League movie by a certain director)...even with the their special super-bullets that can "cut through even Amazon steel."
    She also knew the sniper was targeting her from the start. He posed no threat to her whatsoever.

It was a showcase sequence to demonstrate Diana is miles out of these guys' league. And catharsis showing her put these pricks in their place after we spent half the comic watching them abuse and murder innocent people. She was not in peril. She was not challenged.
    So, no, it doesn't prove why she shouldn't be bullet proof (and again, these weren't even normal bullets being fired at her) or suggest where she stands power-wise compared to Superman.
    My reaction was based on the fact that she even engaged in fisticuffs with those men, not that they posed a challenge. I don't think you'd see Superman punch a regular guy in the face or have to demonstrate his fighting skills - he'd likely just take them out four or five at a time without bothering to dodge any of their attacks and would be more concerned about accidentally killing someone. If they had special bullets though, it that makes more sense why she'd have to deflect them.

And I originally posed it as a question to gauge people's reactions, so thank you for your explanation.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Nice to see you agree but not blitzing isn't holding someone back.

1 second battles are never fun.
    In many cases, the plot does hold the heroes back. When they face opponents they clearly outclass and could put down easily, if they cared to remember certain abilities they have and thatthey can use. 1 second battles can be fun depending on context. I don't expect SM , WW, Flash etc to spen minutes dealing with regular soldiers. They are not the type of opponents meant to pose a threat to characters on that power level. But this isssue didn't have that problem anyway. It wasn't a struggle for WW at all.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've only seen a few pages, but is she beating on regular guys with guns? If so, King seems to be on the side of "WW is not nearly as strong as Superman" because a fight between Supes and those guys wouldn't look like that. He also wouldn't need to deflect any bullets coming at him. (or am I missing something?)
    I've also said in the first previews that it seems unnecessary for Wonder Woman to apparently fight special forces soldiers like that, but how are you reading such extreme Superman comparisons into the actual scene? And Superman would need to outright dodge bullets these guys have specifically made to fight kryptonians, because it would be with 101% certainty kryptonite bullets in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It was, but it would've gone very differently if it had been Superman instead of Wonder Woman. Firstly a group of soldiers would pose no threat to Superman and a hidden sniper in a tree wouldn't matter. He'd blitz them all at superspeed, and it'd be over in 5 seconds. There's no drama in that. Wonder Woman had to work a little harder but with minimal effort and she was actually in danger within the sniper's crosshairs. That's why making her bulletproof (as some posters here want) is such a bad idea. It greatly reduces the kinds of scenarios you can put her in and lessens the tension that's needed for a superhero comic.
    If that would be the actual indication of that scene Tom King can go to hell and play with Christopher Priest there, but luckily nothing in that scene even indicates such hogwash, there was no kind of battle tension at all because these guys looked like ants and just not worthy of even using superspeed, and the equivalent of special sniper bullets to fight kryptonians namely kryptonite bullets would threaten Superman as much if not even more there.

She isn't a Blitzer in majority of her fights. She didn't have any trouble with any of them nor did i say she would.
    How often is Superman blitzing anyone in fights, he barely even blitzes actually dangerous opponents, heck not even Flash is truly consistent in that regard.

I'm surprised no one had anything to say about Diana dragging a guy by his neck with the lasso, something the version from the maligned David E. Kelley pilot did.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The narration of the scene also served a story purpose. Tom King wanted to establish his meta take on the character and he used the Sovereign's comments on her combat prowess as a proxy for that - others are fighting crime and saving the day, but she's trying to create a new world. He couldn't have included that if she'd just blitzed them (not that she'd do that fighting regular humans anyway) and he certainly couldn't jump straight to a massive battle in the ~3 pages of screen time she has in the first issue.

We also already know from the solicits, cover, and Sampere's art preview that issue #2 has her taking on the entire army, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm surprised no one had anything to say about Diana dragging a guy by his neck with the lasso, something the version from the maligned David E. Kelley pilot did.
    She wasn't choking the guy though. She asked him a question as she was dragging him and he was able to verbally respond.

I actually think wrapping it around his neck was Sampere's decision rather than a writing decision - he needed the visual of her holding the guy up with her lasso for the last panel and you wouldn't have been able to see it if it had been around his torso.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've only seen a few pages, but is she beating on regular guys with guns? If so, King seems to be on the side of "WW is not nearly as strong as Superman" because a fight between Supes and those guys wouldn't look like that. He also wouldn't need to deflect any bullets coming at him. (or am I missing something?)
    I mean, yeah. Superman would probably just stand there and let the bullets bounce off them and then take them out, he's never been a character known for his fighting prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    The narration of the scene also served a story purpose. Tom King wanted to establish his meta take on the character and he used the Sovereign's comments on her combat prowess as a proxy for that - others are fighting crime and saving the day, but she's trying to create a new world. He couldn't have included that if she'd just blitzed them (not that she'd do that fighting regular humans anyway) and he certainly couldn't jump straight to a massive battle in the ~3 pages of screen time she has in the first issue.

We also already know from the solicits, cover, and Sampere's art preview that issue #2 has her taking on the entire army, so...

She wasn't choking the guy though. She asked him a question as she was dragging him and he was able to verbally respond.

I actually think wrapping it around his neck was Sampere's decision rather than a writing decision - he needed the visual of her holding the guy up with her lasso for the last panel and you wouldn't have been able to see it if it had been around his torso.
    The guy shouldn't have been able to talk with her wrapping it around his neck and dragging him across the ground. I don't know Sampere specifically needed her to tie it around his neck but King should have caught that and pointed out that it contradicted the idea Diana wasn't trying to seriously hurt these guys. As it stands, we have Diana doing something that's only ever been done by two far less heroic versions of her.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-29-2023 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I mean, yeah. Superman would probably just stand there and let the bullets bounce off them and then take them out, he's never been a character known for his fighting prowess.
    I feel like he's demonstrated Kryptonian martial arts at one point or another .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like he's demonstrated Kryptonian martial arts at one point or another .
    If he has, not in any meaningful or long-lasting way as far as I can see.

Edit: In fact, if anything I'd say Superman being known for not having any particularly trained set of skills is far more known and represented than vice-versa. That's the whole logic behind the "She's weaker than SM, but she's more skilled" excuse/talking point.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-29-2023 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The guy shouldn't have been able to talk with her wrapping it around his neck and dragging him across the ground. I don't know Sampere specifically needed her to tie it around his neck but King should have caught that and pointed out that it contradicted the idea Diana wasn't trying to seriously hurt these guys. As it stands, we have Diana doing something that's only ever been done by two far less heroic versions of her.
    What part of "magic" lasso is unclear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If he has, not in any meaningful or long-lasting way as far as I can see.

Edit: In fact, if anything I'd say Superman being known for not having any particularly trained set of skills is far more known and represented than vice-versa. That's the whole logic behind the "She's weaker than SM, but she's more skilled" excuse/talking point.
    Well, he's very well trained and efficient in using his powers at least.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I would say Superman is more of a brawler.

Compared to how Batman and Wonder Woman are more trained fighters, Supers is a guy who goes for pure fisticuffs like Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza whose entire fighting style can be condensed to "Tank Shit and Punch Hard".

Tellingly Superman never throws a kick, he always fights near exclusively with his fists.