Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

"America sucks" being the premise of this run is certainly a big swing

You know who I really wanna see slap the bejebus out of this Sovereign chap? Uncle Sam.

Of course, I want to add Uncle Sam to a lot of books

Dumb question but is that lasso of lies supposed to be similar or related to one in Scott Snyder’s Batman run? You know the Justice Buster armor.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just like that, I'm excited as hell for Wonder Woman again. It's a nice tight issue, **** moves fast, deliberately so, to make the reader feel as blindsided as Diana must feel. Stakes are immediately set with Sarge Steel's ruthlessness and how AXE has anti-Amazon weapons that can kill Amazons. Seeing them cut down an Amazon in front of her wife and child sets a grim tone and let's you know things are serious. Connections to Waller shows how this book fits into the general anti-hero status quo that's being set up. Sovereign looks cool, like an evil George Washington, and King connecting him to Wondy through the lasso mythology is exciting. It's Diana's iconic weapon but we really don't know very much about it, can't wait to see what King has in store for these lassos. Steve is in very interesting position, he's a soldier which means he's committing treason by helping Diana. For too long he's just been Diana's wholesome boyfriend, I get that we don't want to make a man take too much focus in a WW book, but as Diana's premiere LI Steve needs fleshing out. Looks like he's finally going to get that.

My only qualm is I wish we saw some of the classic Wonder Woman Rogues' reactions to these events. King has said Circe and Grail are coming, but it would have been cool to get a page showing the entire Gallery reacting to this new player making moves. As a "Circe should be the true archnemesis for Diana" believer, I hope to see Circe get involved and start making moves of her own...
    Circe... https://wondabunga.blogspot.com/2023...-circe-is.html
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It was very good.

Diana giving the sword to the amazons because she doesn't "want to be tempted" gave me chills. Horrors beyond horrors are happening to her amazon sisters and she is afraid of what she might do if she had a lethal weapon on her.

Diana beating the **** out of Steel's men was very satisfying. I was really nervous that it'd be too violent based on the preview pages, but it was just right. And Sarge Steel attempting to do his best Fox News and lie about who started the fight only for Diana to be all "nope" with the lasso? Amazing.

The Asian amazon with Nubia is never named on panel from what I can see, so I hope she's Euboea. It's been too long since we saw her in the main universe.

As for the Sovereign, he is definitely an intriguing concept for a villain. But Tom King is kidding himself if he thinks the Sovereign is going to reach Joker/Luthor levels. He's a great big bad for a story, but he's also not toyetic in the slightest which is a must for comic book characters. That said, is he supposed to be the embodiment of all US presidents? There are lots of nods to Washington, Lincoln, etc., and he certainly looks the part. I'm a little shocked DC allowed King to go so hard on the anti-American stance, but I really like it.
    The current DCU’s American government is going through a “all capes are the enemy” phase right now.
    With Walker’s approval to form an anti-Justice League type Suicide Squad and the like. Force of July.

Off topic, but I hope sooner or later we get the JSA elders comparing now to the McCarthy presiding that shut them down in the 1950s. And Captain Atom’s opinion about all of this. And the Wildstorm conspiracy government programs.

How are y'all reading this already? I have the Bachello cover reserved, but have to be at my lcs at 10am tomorrow to get the Mikel Janin cover because it's first come first serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    How are y'all reading this already? I have the Bachello cover reserved, but have to be at my lcs at 10am tomorrow to get the Mikel Janin cover because it's first come first serve.
    Got it on Comixology and read it on my iPad - I'm 100% digital unless it's something I specifically want to collect. I have a print copy (Artgerm variant) pre-ordered at my LCS but can't pick it up until tomorrow.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Got it on Comixology and read it on my iPad - I'm 100% digital unless it's something I specifically want to collect. I have a print copy (Artgerm variant) pre-ordered at my LCS but can't pick it up until tomorrow.
    Plus DC does allow shops to sell new DC books on Tuesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Plus DC does allow shops to sell new DC books on Tuesdays.
    Thanks! I'm leaving until I've read my own copy so it won't get spoiled.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Damn, that was good.
    The only thing is, Sovereign looks ridiculous, imo.
    He looks like the General from Doom Patrol, but healthier.

The good:
    The art was breathtakingly beautiful (even if I still think Sampere draws Diana's head too tiny for her body).
    King's story is fast-paced and to the point.
    Despite Sarge Steel telling Diana that she had given his foot soldiers "head wounds and broken bones," I am thankful for Diana not killing anyone, despite how the previews made me think she might have. The fight itself ended up being not even that brutal, and I am convinced that Steels talk of broken bones was hyperbole.
    The sociopolitical implications (and ramifications) of this arc's premise are exciting as all out. Cannot wait to see how this all ends.

The meh-to-ugh stuff:
    The Sovereign comes across to me as a Donald Trump-meets-Duke-Of-Deception pastiche, which really makes me wish that King had used the actual Duke himself.

Overall, I am interested, and the book really hooked me. Bring on #802!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I really liked issue #1. It felt like a high stakes book almost like Justice League. I'll admit it was a bit wordy but I'd rather have more detail that not enough. I liked King's characterization of Diana. I think Sampere's art was a quality we haven't seen in this book for a long time. It was just breathtaking and worth the cover-price alone. I'll admit I'm intrigued by The Sovereign so we'll see how this plays out.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Copying and pasting my thoughts from the other thread:

I’m a newbie to King’s work. I give his first issue an A. If he can sustain this level of intrigue and dramatic momentum over the course of his run, I’d be a happy camper.

It will be interesting to watch his “voice” for Diana develop. She’s cool, calm and collected in this issue—you might say surgically cold. I’m looking forward to other facets.

Sampere’s art was top-notch as well. Gimme some well-choreographed bracelets, lasso and tiara action and I’m smiling!

Won't say too much yet but I stayed up late and read it on digital and oh man...it really is so good. I'll say more once more folks have it - there are a lot of things I absolutely loved, though I do have some small nitpicks that may just be a matter of taste - but here are some non-spoiler thoughts out the gate:

- If you're a big fan of Greg Rucka's first run (as I am), you'll probably love this.
    Yes, I definitely got that feeling I had when I read Rucka’s first effort.
    Last edited by Largo161; 09-19-2023 at 04:13 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I really liked issue #1. It felt like a high stakes book almost like Justice League. I'll admit it was a bit wordy but I'd rather have more detail that not enough. I liked King's characterization of Diana. I think Sampere's art was a quality we haven't seen in this book for a long time. It was just breathtaking and worth the cover-price alone. I'll admit I'm intrigued by The Sovereign so we'll see how this plays out.
    This was one of the pleasures to me. I spent five dollars—give me something to read! Heh
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.