Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Such a good page. Esp for being 1 page of Nubia, they got a lot across in it.

Not gonna lie, King cooked this issue, looking forward to the next one. It has been a while since I got intrigue from a Wondy book.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I have nothing against Tom King exorcising his ex-CIA agent traumas using comics, actually, his best works explore that very well.
    And clearly, he is writing a comic criticizing America's War on Terror with amazons instead of Muslims.

But there's a problem of pace on this first issue. Things go from an isolated fugitive murderer case to a totalitarian state killing people too fast.
    Leading to the question, where are the superheroes of DCU? How did Superman or the JLA let things escalate this way?

Another thing that bothers me is the villain. This secret American monarchy seems a little silly, and the idea of a lasso mirroring Wonder Woman's lasso of truth lacks creativity.

Not saying it's a bad story, we have nice dialogue and action scenes. But some problems stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I have nothing against Tom King exorcising his ex-CIA agent traumas using comics, actually, his best works explore that very well.
    And clearly, he is writing a comic criticizing America's War on Terror with amazons instead of Muslims.

But there's a problem of pace on this first issue. Things go from an isolated fugitive murderer case to a totalitarian state killing people too fast.
    Leading to the question, where are the superheroes of DCU? How did Superman or the JLA let things escalate this way?

Another thing that bothers me is the villain. This secret American monarchy seems a little silly, and the idea of a lasso mirroring Wonder Woman's lasso of truth lacks creativity.

Not saying it's a bad story, we have nice dialogue and action scenes. But some problems stand out.
    I'm assuming Sovereign's Lasso is responsible for things escalating so excessively that they probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

This was a great start, I very much enjoyed. Sets up the conflict well, the stakes are clear, Diana is awesome, and the villains are deliciously evil (Sgt. Steel basically represents the worst aspects of nationalism and unrestricted power).

Sampere's art is immaculate. His choreography is great with great usage of her weapons, so I really wanna see what it looks like when Diana is fighting a strong-ass that can keep up with her punch for punch.

Sovereign is goofy looking but hey this is comics so thats not really indictment. Very curious how his story is going to go, and his backstory sounds interesting in how its potentially tied to Amazon history through the origin of the Lasso of Lies.

Very glad to be getting into Wonder Woman again. Got too lazy and wound up falling behind the last run, so I'm gonna keep up to date with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Such a good page. Esp for being 1 page of Nubia, they got a lot across in it.
    This and the scene in the cemetery did such a great job of conveying how angry Diana was.

Same place they were when Joker slaughters his way through Gotham. C’mon this is standard superhero fare, you either need to suspend disbelief and buy in or else stop reading because complaining that other heroes don’t show up and solve the problem for Wonder Woman is just being pedantic. This is a compressed issue that moves quickly instead of taking forever to get started, and it’s stronger for it. Hickman did something similar in HoX/PoX - all of sudden there was a new anti-human group ORCHIS that was about to create a Mother Mold and Nimrod and somehow Karima had joined them despite previously being a mutant ally.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-19-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

They explicitly address this in the narration.

It also seems the issue takes place over the course of at least a few months. It talks about how Diana was absolutely everywhere making speeches, doing interviews, leading protests/marches, etc. until the Amazons finally retreated and then after that she disappeared for a month before Steel found her in the cemetery. May be cheap to tell rather than show, but this was a setup issue and I thought seeing the actual damage the government was doing was a lot more important than wasting page space on, say, Superman going to a protest.

I'm not an expert on History, but why is the Sovereign talking about creating the lie of the American Revolution and the Bill of Rights, while referencing the guillotines and other revolutions as coming before?

The American Revolution was one of the reasons why there was a French Revolution and Republic in the first place a decade later. Even the American Constitution existed before the French Revolution.

Is the Sovereign implying that the lasso of lies actually changed people's memories, and that they forged the American constitution decades later?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think most will enjoy this very long, in depth review.
    https://robertjonesjr.substack.com/p...ndering-gender

Wow! This was a great first issue. This is the first time i remember just being in awe of every page of wonder woman. It was like throwing the amazons into a space mutants or x-men fit and it totally worked. Just the idea of this is suppose to be our values, grabbing women and calling them b$($tches or treated them as less than and being afraid just because what if they had the power to say "no!" what if they had the strength to not only expect better but force it. The murders were wrong but everything else felt so damn right. Can not wait for issue two and that preview of justice league in the back. Just wow, i don't know what's going on at DC but THIS was high class comics. The art and the writing.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Interesting that Nyx does not hesitate in killing one of the home invaders with her shield. I imagine that, despite her doing this in order to defend her home and family by any means necessary, a lot of people in-story will also chalk it up to the amazons being "dangerous, violent, man-hating harpies," a sentiment that the pool hall massacre certainly helped foster among the general population. I also feel the scene of Nyx killing the dude is, hypothetically speaking, a sharp contrast to what Wonder Woman herself would do in the same situation. Not just because Diana would use her super speed and super reflexes to defuse the situation in a much faster way without having to resort to deadly options, but because Nyx's moral code is most likely way different than Diana's.

Yeah, I am definitely looking forward to the next issue.

Oh, ETA: why in the Hades is Nyx dressed as Wonder Woman?
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 09-20-2023 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Interesting that Nyx does not hesitate in killing one of the home invaders with her shield. I imagine that, despite her doing this in order to defend her home and family by any means necessary, a lot of people in-story will also chalk it up to the amazons being "dangerous, violent, man-hating harpies," a sentiment that the pool hall massacre certainly helped foster among the general population. I also feel the scene of Nyx killing the dude is, hypothetically speaking, a sharp contrast to what Wonder Woman herself would do in the same situation. Not just because Diana would use her super speed and super reflexes to defuse the situation in a much faster way without having to resort to deadly options, but because Nyx's moral code is most likely way different than Diana's.

Yeah, I am definitely looking forward to the next issue.

Oh, ETA: why in the Hades is Nyx dressed as Wonder Woman?
    All the Amazons are dressed similarly to Wonder Woman, I hate that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm not an expert on History, but why is the Sovereign talking about creating the lie of the American Revolution and the Bill of Rights, while referencing the guillotines and other revolutions as coming before?

The American Revolution was one of the reasons why there was a French Revolution and Republic in the first place a decade later. Even the American Constitution existed before the French Revolution.

Is the Sovereign implying that the lasso of lies actually changed people's memories, and that they forged the American constitution decades later?
    I got the impression that the Sovereign at the time of the French Revolution took precautions after the French Revolution or the first Sovereign had some level of future sight, saw what would happen during the French Revolution and manipulated America's Founding to avoid such an outcome.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I think he is also taking digs at the manosphere and conspiracy theorist grifters (Andrew Tate, Nick Fuentes, Pearl Davis) that have been popping up lately.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    All the Amazons are dressed similarly to Wonder Woman, I hate that.
    Do you think that's on purpose? I mean, since the story seems to be told from the perspective if the Sovereign, is this some sort of visual "lie" that the narrator is trying to present to the audience/the readers in some sort of meta way? Or am I overthinking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think most will enjoy this very long, in depth review.
    https://robertjonesjr.substack.com/p...ndering-gender
    OOh, that is our very own Son of Baldwin, amazingly smart internet social commentator, activist, and author of The New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets!!
    I have got to read that ASAP.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 09-20-2023 at 08:30 AM.