Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Raptor isn’t connected with the Court.
    Yes and no, the Parliment

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Yes and no, the Parliment
    He was just hired by them. Which he did just to get close to Dick.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah I agree Raptor having some average showings outside the book doesn't do anything to stop him from appearing in Nightwing again.

If anything its a compliment as one person put it. Priest's Deathstroke could have used literally anyone else but he instead went with Raptor and gave him a role in one of the run's arcs. It shows that he's gained the attention of other writers.

Also bear in mind Seeley didn’t really want to share Raptor. He gave him a pretty definitive end, or at least tried. Comics being comics and all…
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-02-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Raptor was fine. Better than Heartless for sure, but I never felt like the character was some missing piece to Dick's rogues gallery. I enjoyed the character a bit more early on but as time went on it felt like they tried to insert his character into Dick's history a bit too much. Him being there the moment when Dick's parents died, the implication he was in love with Dick's mom and they had a fling, and then I think the implied thread of him being Dick's biological father given that Dick was seemingly named after him. Both are named Richard. Stuff like that you see a lot in comics, but I tend to lose interest when connections get too involved. Another example is the old story where they were toying around with the idea that Bane was Bruce's half brother which eventually got cut off or something.

I still would like to see a Nigthwing story that is just a well crafted couple volumes where Dick goes up against a proper A List villain or villains. Be it Deathstroke, Joker, Bane, Riddler, or whoever. It is those kind of stories I feel reverberate more and Nightwing has very few of them across his solo stories I feel like. Deathstroke is one you think would be used more, but outside that one Renegade story which was kind of messy there isn't much.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with Heartless is simply that he has mostly been background character sofar.

The thing with Deathstroke is that he is pretty successfull as a lead character in his own right. Since Flashpoint he had slightly more than 100 issues as a lead character, so he is usually not available to be the villain in the book of another character.
    Even now after Dark Crisis this might have changed, I'm not sure if they can still really use him as a lead (on the other hand with how few characters DC has that can actually carry a book, they can't really afford to permanenty f*** one up).

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Raptor was fine. Better than Heartless for sure, but I never felt like the character was some missing piece to Dick's rogues gallery. I enjoyed the character a bit more early on but as time went on it felt like they tried to insert his character into Dick's history a bit too much. Him being there the moment when Dick's parents died, the implication he was in love with Dick's mom and they had a fling, and then I think the implied thread of him being Dick's biological father given that Dick was seemingly named after him. Both are named Richard. Stuff like that you see a lot in comics, but I tend to lose interest when connections get too involved. Another example is the old story where they were toying around with the idea that Bane was Bruce's half brother which eventually got cut off or something.

I still would like to see a Nigthwing story that is just a well crafted couple volumes where Dick goes up against a proper A List villain or villains. Be it Deathstroke, Joker, Bane, Riddler, or whoever. It is those kind of stories I feel reverberate more and Nightwing has very few of them across his solo stories I feel like. Deathstroke is one you think would be used more, but outside that one Renegade story which was kind of messy there isn't much.
    I kind of get it but at the same time that connection to Dick's family is part of what made Raptor so impactful to Dick, especially the implications of the name. Though, yeah, finding out Dick was named after his mom's ex-boyfriend is...something.

I'm sceptical Taylor could craft a good story with an A-list villain, at least one that actually respects their pedigree. Have I mentioned before how he had Lex Luthor get fooled by a fake Lass of Truth?

Extraordinary Member

Wow, I forgot Raptor even existed.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Wow, I forgot Raptor even existed.
    Seeley's run doesn't seem like it's stuck with you as much as it did me .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seeley's run doesn't seem like it's stuck with you as much as it did me .
    I loved the Seeley run, but it was definitely the type of thing where the vibe has to "click" for one to really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    I loved the Seeley run, but it was definitely the type of thing where the vibe has to "click" for one to really appreciate it.
    I understand why Taylor's run has its fans but I still liked a lot of what Seeley did more.

Extraordinary Member

I understand why Taylor's run has its fans but I still liked a lot of what Seeley did more.
    I tried it, I just didn't get the appeal, tbh.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I tried it, I just didn't get the appeal, tbh.
    For me Dick and his relationships were well-characterized, he was a competent and effective hero (with good action scenes), it had a nice quirky vibe, some would debate the tonal transition between the Bludhaven and creepier/supernatural stuff but I felt like it worked for the book, and gave Dick a likeable love interest that's not Babs or Kori.

Extraordinary Member

For me Dick and his relationships were well-characterized, he was a competent and effective hero (with good action scenes), it had a nice quirky vibe, some would debate the tonal transition between the Bludhaven and creepier/supernatural stuff but I felt like it worked for the book, and gave Dick a likeable love interest that's not Babs or Kori.
    I guess I just didn't care for the direction or Raptor. I also didn't see the quirk. But then again, Seeley's never really don it for me, anyway.