Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What social issue will Dick solve next?
    I’d like to say big business after issue 105, but he’s gonna be on that boat the rest of the year

Odd development there at the end. At least it gives her some sort of character.

Heartless feels like a villain-of-the-week who somehow got booted to Big Bad status and it shows.
    Heartless feels like an attempt to do something other than the villain-of-the-week formula. I personally don't hate it. People complain about Nightwing having thrown away villains, yet when one isn't quickly thrown away people complain.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Heartless feels like an attempt to do something other than the villain-of-the-week formula. I personally don't hate it. People complain about Nightwing having thrown away villains, yet when one isn't quickly thrown away people complain.
    I wouldn't complain if he were a good villain but he's just a boring edgelord with a cliched motivation. If he were just a throw away villain it wouldn't be so bad but as a reoccurring villain the lack of depth really drags him down.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Nobody should be coming to a Tom Taylor comic for good villains.

This is the same guy who wrote Lex Luthor getting intimidated by a fake Lasso of Truth.

Nobody should be coming to a Tom Taylor comic for good villains.

This is the same guy who wrote Lex Luthor getting intimidated by a fake Lasso of Truth.
    OMG, some creators shouldn't be allowed any where near iconic characters...

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I wouldn't complain if he were a good villain but he's just a boring edgelord with a cliched motivation. If he were just a throw away villain it wouldn't be so bad but as a reoccurring villain the lack of depth really drags him down.
    He’s what would happen if Alfred was evil. His persona is a bit silly but I think there’s depth to his concept here given Alfred’s role in this run.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-20-2023 at 04:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

He’s what would happen if Alfred was evil. His persona is a bit silly but I think there’s depth to his concept here given Alfred’s role in this run.
    Granted Heartless' evil butler was only seen in the annual.

It would be good for his character to show more interactions between the two. Would lend Heartless more depth than just him doing generically evil stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

It would be good for his character to show more interactions between the two. Would lend Heartless more depth than just him doing generically evil stuff.
    When is our next annual?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

He appeared im the regular book as well.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Which is what I meant when I said typical edgelord stuff which is the opposite of interesting.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

What exactly does "typical edgelord stuff" mean? A dark reflection of Alfred's influence on his "sons" isn't a juxtaposition we have typically seen explored. Nor do we see many campy characteristics with new villains anymore like that silly heart ripper gun, nor have we seen many overarching villains in Bludhaven that isn't Block Buster. He's not all that compelling personality wise but im not sure i'd call him typical.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-21-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    He appeared im the regular book as well.
    Yeah, I think the issue where he killed Blockbuster.

Yeah, I think the issue where he killed Blockbuster.
    The butler appeared 4 or 5 times, i believe.
    He is the one that patched up Heartless when he got beat by Blockbuster.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

What exactly does "typical edgelord stuff" mean? A dark reflection of Alfred's influence on his "sons" isn't a juxtaposition we have typically seen explored. Nor do we see many campy characteristics with new villains anymore like that silly heart ripper gun, nor have we seen many overarching villains in Bludhaven that isn't Block Buster. He's not all that compelling personality wise but im not sure i'd call him typical.
    Wasn't New 52 Owlman basically Batman raised by an evil Alfred?

Also feels somewhat conceptually similar to King's "Master Bruce" character from one of his annuals where he has the butler kill his parents.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 09-21-2023 at 12:12 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)