Default Batman #141 Solicit

BATMAN #141
    Written by CHIP ZDARSKY
    Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
    Variant cover by DAVID FINCH
    Variant cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA
    1:25 variant cover by ALAN QUAH
    1:50 variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 1/2/24
    Zur-En-Arrh has done the unthinkable. And now, cut off from everything and everyone, Batman has to face off against his most devastating enemy in a brutal fight for the future as the specter of The Joker hangs over everything. The stunning conclusion to “Mindbomb” is here!
    What do you think? Classic misdirection from the solicits to hype up the issue or they will commit to the last thing that hasn't happened in canon, Batman killing The Joker. Sure, we all know that Joker won't stay dead if that happens but I feel that is the one plotline that handled lightly would permanently damage the brand.

It might be that they make Batman think he killed Joker. Or something. Because I don't think they could ever walk away from him actually killing Joker even if that was the first thing he had to prevent Zur from doing.

If Zdarsky is just repeating plot points maybe this is the "hero grapples with killing someone" that he did in his Daredevil run.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If Zdarsky is just repeating plot points maybe this is the "hero grapples with killing someone" that he did in his Daredevil run.
    Which... he didn't really do*. Like, I read that run and there was definitely remorse and your classic DD self-loathing, but I never felt that Matt was truly wrestling with doing (one of) the worst things a Catholic can do. He never seemed to really grapple with the mental ramifications of actually taking a life. It felt like his usual pity party, but not something unique to his, albeit accidentally, going somewhere he never had before (unless possessed).

*Ironic, as I was waiting the whole time for Zdarsky to flip that it was fake but nope. Matt just straight up killed a guy in a kinda dumb way.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

The Joker? Again. Sigh.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Which... he didn't really do*. Like, I read that run and there was definitely remorse and your classic DD self-loathing, but I never felt that Matt was truly wrestling with doing (one of) the worst things a Catholic can do. He never seemed to really grapple with the mental ramifications of actually taking a life. It felt like his usual pity party, but not something unique to his, albeit accidentally, going somewhere he never had before (unless possessed).

*Ironic, as I was waiting the whole time for Zdarsky to flip that it was fake but nope. Matt just straight up killed a guy in a kinda dumb way.
    Well, he did go to prison even if he didn't serve his full sentence, but now I guess we can always remember that time DD straight up killed a guy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    The Joker? Again. Sigh.
    sales will surge tho

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

The funny thing is that Bruce has killed people before so Zur killing some random thing won't be a big deal and will quickly swept under the rug but killing Joker? You can't put the genie backing the bottle after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The funny thing is that Bruce has killed people before so Zur killing some random thing won't be a big deal and will quickly swept under the rug but killing Joker? You can't put the genie backing the bottle after that.
    I don't see how you couldn't. Batman's scapegoat is obviously going to be Zur possessing him to do it and on top of that, there's no way DC's most popular villain is going to stay dead. That's the main reason why I never got into some people's obsession with Batman killing the Joker, it'll never stick therefore it makes no difference.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    I don't see how you couldn't. Batman's scapegoat is obviously going to be Zur possessing him to do it and on top of that, there's no way DC's most popular villain is going to stay dead. That's the main reason why I never got into some people's obsession with Batman killing the Joker, it'll never stick therefore it makes no difference.
    Because then you couldn't justify Bruce not doing the same to other rogues while also completely shattering his philosophy, to not mention the way it would impact his relationship with the larger DCU. Like, do you think Clark would be fine with Bruce doing that?

Is one thing to do it in an elseworld or a one-shot but in the main canon? There is just too many factors at play and I don't think neither Zdarsky or DC's current leadership have the chops to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Because then you couldn't justify Bruce not doing the same to other rogues while also completely shattering his philosophy, to not mention the way it would impact his relationship with the larger DCU. Like, do you think Clark would be fine with Bruce doing that?
    It wouldn't surprise me if Zdarsky have Batman take a page out of Daredevil's book and have Batman punish himself for giving in to Zur by having him temporarily quit being Batman and turn himself in over what he did....until the Joker inevitably returns thus making all of what transpired a waste which is what I initially alluded to.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he did go to prison even if he didn't serve his full sentence, but now I guess we can always remember that time DD straight up killed a guy.
    I meant the heavy lifting. The actual character study.

Sure, he allowed himself to go to prison, that turned out to be super evil as a cheap way of drawing a line under it, but there didn't seem to be much in the way of actual character introspection. What does it do to a man who believes they do good to, however accidentally, take a life?

It just fell completely flat to me, as much as I enjoyed the run overall.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

I think that we need a long break from the Joker . But killing the Joker is not the answer .
    Personally I'm tired of the Joker . Just my humble opinion .

We also need a break from Catwoman in the Batman main book at least .

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Throw Joker into the Phantom Zone and hook Bruce up with Zatanna.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I could get behind that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Joker in the Phantom Zone would be a trip .