Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Keep at it Spider Marriage fans, stay strong as a fandom but TBH these sort of petitions and stuff rarely if ever work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Keep at it Spider Marriage fans, stay strong as a fandom but TBH these sort of petitions and stuff rarely if ever work.
    Dunno about staying strong but I wear clown makeup on the daily at the moment.
    Last edited by hobnob; 09-19-2023 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Do I want it back? Absolutely.
    Would I financially support the book again if it came back? In a heartbeat.
    Do I think Marvel will listen? … Less confident.

But I’m not someone who never even tries and gives up without some sort of effort.

Besides, one never knows what the future holds.

Who wouldn’t be curious to see how far this can go?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Do I want it back? Absolutely.
    Would I financially support the book again if it came back? In a heartbeat.
    Do I think Marvel will listen? … Less confident.

But I’m not someone who never even tries and gives up without some sort of effort.

Besides, one never knows what the future holds.

Who wouldn’t be curious to see how far this can go?
    Your enthusiasm is intoxicating in the best possible way. I really like the way you think.

Incredible Member

Peter doesn't even remember or know what he did. Also a decision of life and death is very much impacted if the individual being saved is a blood relative that raised and nurtured you vice a love interest or anyone else that is not blood. Love interest can come and go; blood is for a lifetime. Peter has sacrificed for May throughout the entirety of his comics history. I would not view it as out of character.

Disney bought Marvel after the publication of OMD. But even if it were the other way around, I don't believe Disney desires to micro-manage the stories Marvel puts out.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-19-2023 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Peter doesn't even remember or know what he did. Also a decision of life and death is very much impacted if the individual being saved is a blood relative that raised and nurtured you vice a love interest or anyone else that is not blood. Love interest can come and go; blood is for a lifetime. Peter has sacrificed for May throughout the entirety of his comics history. I would not view it as out of character.

Disney bought Marvel after the publication of OMD. But even if it were the other way around, I don't believe Disney desires to micro-manage the stories Marvel puts out.
    The fact that Peter sacrifices his daughter as well… she was blood.

Mayday was supposedly wiped from existence, per the minds behind One More Day.

As a father, the thought of losing my daughter because of a selfish deal with the devil that destroys the love I have for her mother and scrubs her existence from my memories is worse than death itself to me.

I feel disgust at the very concept a hero would do that to his family and children, and against his dying aunt’s wishes, rather than face the consequences and accept reality, as the character was created to do.

As a father, the thought of losing my daughter because of a selfish deal with the devil that destroys the love I have for her mother and scrubs her existence from my memories is worse than death itself to me.

I feel disgust at the very concept a hero would do that to his family and children, and against his dying aunt’s wishes, rather than face the consequences and accept reality, as the character was created to do.
    In fairness, Mephisto didn't reveal to Peter and MJ their future daughter until after they'd agreed to the deal.

I mean, the story is still insane, but they didn't knowingly sacrifice their potential future daughter.

Incredible Member

As mentioned, there was no daughter sacrificed. I don't consider a "possible" future daughter as a sacrifice. You're not going to feel "blood" for a child that's not in existence yet.

And there is nothing preventing him from still having a child if it's meant to be (whether with MJ or someone else).

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    As mentioned, there was no daughter sacrificed. I don't consider a "possible" future daughter as a sacrifice. You're not going to feel "blood" for a child that's not in existence yet.

And there is nothing preventing him from still having a child if it's meant to be (whether with MJ or someone else).
    I mean Baby May did happen, and technically she was erased from existence by the deal...heck, it's very clearly Mayday that is set up as the 'why' the deal happened at the end of the Spencer run.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    I mean Baby May did happen, and technically she was erased from existence by the deal...heck, it's very clearly Mayday that is set up as the 'why' the deal happened at the end of the Spencer run.
    This has all just gotten muddled over the years.

The girl in OMD is said to have not been born yet. She is also a redhead. (Mayday is a brunette.)

It just became a thing in the fandom that it was Mayday, even though it makes no sense. And then the Spencer run "verified" it's Mayday.

It's . . . contradictory. But the story, as written, has the daughter as a part of the future timeline where Peter and MJ remain married. If anything, Annie fits the details, not Mayday.

Astonishing Member

Since no two sperm and egg cells are identical, I imagine Mayday will look different depending on when in the timeline you "stop" her from being born (however the hell you do that).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Since no two sperm and egg cells are identical, I imagine Mayday will look different depending on when in the timeline you "stop" her from being born (however the hell you do that).
    Mayday was already a previous, lost child. The child Mephisto references is a future, potential child.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    This has all just gotten muddled over the years.

The girl in OMD is said to have not been born yet. She is also a redhead. (Mayday is a brunette.)

It just became a thing in the fandom that it was Mayday, even though it makes no sense. And then the Spencer run "verified" it's Mayday.

It's . . . contradictory. But the story, as written, has the daughter as a part of the future timeline where Peter and MJ remain married. If anything, Annie fits the details, not Mayday.
    Mayday's hair color in the 616 was never established.

Per Joe Quesada in 2008:
    The question sort of answers itself when you quoted my saying that “almost” everything happened. The funny thing about the pregnancy issue is that Marvel at the time scrambled to derail the story as quickly as possible. I don’t know exactly how that story got as far as it did, but they ultimately realized it was a huge mistake. So, taking that into consideration, I personally feel that that’s one that didn’t happen, chiefly because Peter and MJ now not having been married, would have taken proper precaution to avoid getting in the family way in the first place.

In the case of MJ’s pregnancy, that storyline was itself created to end the marriage — the creators involved only made MJ pregnant because they were planning to reveal that Ben Reilly was the real Peter Parker, and then have MJ and her clone-Pete ride off into the sunset and out of the series together. And it’s an element that hasn’t even been mentioned in “Amazing Spider-Man” in close to ten years, so it’s not an omnipresent element that’s suddenly being taken away. It was a turn down a bad road, and some of the creators even realized it at the time (which is why Mary Jane was pregnant for something like two years, as the creative teams struggled to figure out how to write themselves out of the corner they were suddenly in.) So that’s an area where we maybe need to squint a little bit more in terms of overlooking it. Or, hey, you can chalk it all up to Mephisto’s motivation of preventing Peter and Mary Jane’s child from coming into the world.
    The guy who made One More Day happen stands by Mayday's existence being scrubbed away. While her death was never officially confirmed (and many held out hope she'd return somehow), Quesada's stance was Peter sacrificed her and erased her from reality itself. No pregnancy. No existence. No body or soul. Just gone.

I detest this.

Per Joe Quesada in 2008:

The guy who made One More Day happen stands by Mayday's existence being scrubbed away. While her death was never officially confirmed (and many held out hope she'd return somehow), Quesada's stance was Peter sacrificed her and erased her from reality itself. No pregnancy. No existence. No body or soul. Just gone.

I detest this.
    Except the girl is shown before the deal is made. And she is referred to as a future child.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Except the girl is shown before the deal is made. And she is referred to as a future child.
    There's no reason it's not two Parker girls with one stone.