Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Peter has seen, been to, and met people from multiple different futures that aren't compatible with each other. I don't think he's going to put a lot of weight into somebody from a maybe possible alternate future.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Peter has seen, been to, and met people from multiple different futures that aren't compatible with each other. I don't think he's going to put a lot of weight into somebody from a maybe possible alternate future.
    Editorial said he erased Mayday, not just a future child, but the one he and MJ did have. Her existence and soul erased. He un-existed his own baby.

That’s not my stance. That’s literally what folks at Marvel said.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Editorial said he erased Mayday, not just a future child, but the one he and MJ did have. Her existence and soul erased. He un-existed his own baby.

who on editorial and when?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mayday was already dead. It's just that no one at Marvel wanted to be the person who could be pointed to for being responsible, so they've always hedged it. But Jody Houser made it explicit in Spider-Girls. That was the RYV universe; but there's an argument to be made that it's just what split off from 616 at the point of OMD.

Mayday has also been referenced in canon stories since OMD, so Quesada's view on it wasn't ultimately applied to continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Mayday was already dead. It's just that no one at Marvel wanted to be the person who could be pointed to for being responsible, so they've always hedged it. But Jody Houser made it explicit in Spider-Girls. That was the RYV universe; but there's an argument to be made that it's just what split off from 616 at the point of OMD.

Mayday has also been referenced in canon stories since OMD, so Quesada's view on it wasn't ultimately applied to continuity.
    Marvel has fudged it the whole time. Alternate universe stories are not proof of 616 continuity (Mayday's hair color, for instance, is unknown in the 616, and alternates from brown to red in many stories).

Mayday explicitly hasn't been outright mentioned since OMD. The closest we've gotten is "the baby" in background text as one of the people Norman listed he feels he's wronged... but that could be readdressed.

Never once, to my knowledge, have Mary Jane and Peter ever properly addressed the loss of their child in the 616 since OMD. This would be especially topical given Mary Jane's recent loss of yet two more children and her role as a mother recently if she and Peter once shared a past as expectant parents.

And, again, Spencer basically canonized that their union would yield a child that would ruin his plans, hence the need to keep them apart. That goes out the window if Peter and MJ did everything they already did before, just without a ring on their fingers, and their "future savior" daughter was born anyway.

Beyond that, there ARE a myriad of reasons why Peter and MJ wouldn't have children without being married. I've read those 80s and 90s stories, and they spent a lot of time going over the desire for children, and making the choice often to NOT have them until they were absolutely, one hundred percent sure they would be equipped to handle the responsibility together as a family unit.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Mayday was already dead. It's just that no one at Marvel wanted to be the person who could be pointed to for being responsible, so they've always hedged it.
    Pretty much.

If you want to revisit how much that was fudged, Mister Mets is doing a retrospective thread of the post-Ben as Spidey Pre-Byrne relaunch era where fans were well and truly strung along as Robbie searched for Alison Mongrain. Spoiler, the conclusion absolutely sucks.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Marvel has fudged it the whole time.

[. . .]

Beyond that, there ARE a myriad of reasons why Peter and MJ wouldn't have children without being married. I've read those 80s and 90s stories, and they spent a lot of time going over the desire for children, and making the choice often to NOT have them until they were absolutely, one hundred percent sure they would be equipped to handle the responsibility together as a family unit.
    You are trying to No-Prize this into what you want it to be.

OMD is plenty garbage enough without having to manufacture problems with it.

It’s not even top 50 of the problems One More Day introduced. But it’s still a mess.

Quesada’s approach to Mayday - aka “just don’t think about it too hard” - is very much indicative of OMD as a whole. The deeper you dig, the worse it gets.

It’s not even top 50 of the problems One More Day introduced. But it’s still a mess.

Quesada’s approach to Mayday - aka “just don’t think about it too hard” - is very much indicative of OMD as a whole. The deeper you dig, the worse it gets.
    "It's magic. We don't have to explain it!"

I have to agree though. Pete wouldn't just.... sleep with her and leave her.

The solution to bringing back the marriage is to stop buying any Spider-man books. Stop giving Marvel a cent and let them know why. If sales plummet, marriage is back. That's all there is to it, but not enough people willing to make the sacrifice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    The solution to bringing back the marriage is to stop buying any Spider-man books. Stop giving Marvel a cent and let them know why. If sales plummet, marriage is back. That's all there is to it, but not enough people willing to make the sacrifice.
    They’re stubborn enough that they’d never do it IMO. I think it’s entered culture war status now. It’s just pride. The imagine three piles:

A. Stories you can tell when Peter is single.
    B. Stories you can tell when Peter and MJ are married.
    C. Stories you can tell regardless of marital status.

A and B are mutually exclusive. The crux is, is A bigger than B or vice versa? I imagine A is slightly bigger, but C vastly outweighs it all anyway. So C+A or C+B are still both very big numbers that give all the freedom they need.

The goodwill generated by putting them together would go a long way to restoring trust and confidence among a very great many fans. The hate is strong these days, and people speak openly about how much Editorial hates the fans and MJ as a character. Twitter and Reddit are full of it. I’ve seen it on Quora and people there are usually rational. And Marvel says nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    They’re stubborn enough that they’d never do it IMO. I think it’s entered culture war status now. It’s just pride. The imagine three piles:

A. Stories you can tell when Peter is single.
    B. Stories you can tell when Peter and MJ are married.
    C. Stories you can tell regardless of marital status.

A and B are mutually exclusive. The crux is, is A bigger than B or vice versa? I imagine A is slightly bigger, but C vastly outweighs it all anyway. So C+A or C+B are still both very big numbers that give all the freedom they need.

The goodwill generated by putting them together would go a long way to restoring trust and confidence among a very great many fans. The hate is strong these days, and people speak openly about how much Editorial hates the fans and MJ as a character. Twitter and Reddit are full of it. I’ve seen it on Quora and people there are usually rational. And Marvel says nothing.
    How many stories could be told that REQUIRE Pete to be single that are worth telling... and aren't re-treads of old material?

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    Arachnid is smart.

ooohh... most people didn't get that joke. Enh. :Þ

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    Just Saturday morning cartoon adventures spread over two or three years.
    Spectacular Spider-man was so much better than the current status quo.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi